• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Bunny Drop GN 4

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:53 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

And spoiler[Woody Allen's marriage to his step-daughter is no worse than Daikichi and Rin. In fact it is arguably not as bad, as Daikichi was Rin's sole guardian from the age of six.]

Woody Allen:
Allen and Farrow's biological son, Ronan Farrow, said of Allen: "He's my father married to my sister. That makes me his son and his brother-in-law. That is such a moral transgression."

Nice how some people are so forgiving and forgetful at the same time but hey at least Woody isn't an anime character.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:00 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely do not condone what Woody Allen did, but this isn't about him, this is about Rin and Daikichi. Let's not get even more off-topic than we already are.
Anymouse

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I think objections about inequality really don't hold. Men and women are inherently unequal. Every relationship between a man and a women would have to be considered suspect if we really objected to unequal relationships.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:19 pm Reply with quote
The point is moral compasses don't matter when the law says something is 'okay'. Requesting Yen Press to stop publishing a series because of your moral compass without any legal reason is censorship of the worst kind.
Anymouse

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:28 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
The point is moral compasses don't matter when the law says something is 'okay'. Requesting Yen Press to stop publishing a series because of your moral compass without any legal reason is censorship of the worst kind.
Especially considering there is far worse out there that is objectively immoral, that is not talked about simply because it doesn't try to appeal to the mainstream.

Such as Popotan, or Moon Phase. Yet no one calls for those to stop being published, despite the fact they are extremely suggestive in their portrayal of girls who have not attained actual puberty. Heck, Clannad has several jokes that discuss this tendency amongst some members of our fandumb. Roh Kyo Byu is still finishing it's run as well.

To treat a relationship like this as if it is remotely equivalent to pedophilia or incest is absolutely perverse. And before someone brings up Old Testament prohibitions on marriage to an adopted sibling, I will remind you all that we are not under the Law (of Moses).
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:57 pm Reply with quote
As much as I try to avoid these debates nowadays I'll point out objectively that though the two of them live as a father/daughter relationship, that still never changes the depicted fact thatspoiler[ biologically the two are unrelated, and for that to have happened Grandpa just wasn't the natural father he thought he was, which means Rin's mother was having affairs outside of their relationship. On this bases Rin and Daikichi could just as well have a loving relationship without fear of genetic complications toward any future offspring. My question is when is this revealed to Daikichi that Rin is infact not his true biological aunt? I believe the age of consent in Japan is legally 13, but culturally that gets frowned upon until at least 16. So if Daikichi knows about Rin's DNA and Rin is that in love with him to accept an adult type relationship there is no good reason legally, or medically why they shouldn't, Morally and ethically is another matter and one he should seriously consider if he doesn't know, ]but that's for the author to determine. I do however find it curious that if the author was trying to provoke an epiphany to Japanese to try and reverse historic prejudices toward illegitimate children, she sure torpedos that effort with an ending like that, but hey, nothing's perfect. Wink
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Note that even if Rin and Daikichi spoiler[were related] as aunt and nephew, their relationship would be legal and marriage possible in Japan. They would also be legal in Australia and some states of America. The relationship would be illegal in other states of the US and in England. Interestingly, most countries' incest laws include relationship through adoption. It's notable that adoption was considered in the story but was rejected by Rin.

I think its more problematical legally that spoiler[Daikichi knew they weren't related from very early on but didn't let on to anybody as it would have prevented them living together.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I believe the age of consent in Japan is legally 13, ...

That is a national law that establishes a baseline in the absence of any other law. There is also another layer of laws at the local level that apply in cases of sex between adults and those defined as minors, which puts it at much higher level. For most of the country, that appears to typically be at least 16, and for many localities, 17-18.

On a related note, apparently males have to be 18 to marry, and females 16, but if they are a minor, parental consent is required.

One should keep in mind that the age of majority in Japan is 20, vs. the U.S. standard of 18 for many purposes, but 21 for others.
Anymouse

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:53 pm Reply with quote
True. It was actually 15 for men and 13 for women in the Edo period.

Mohawk52 wrote:
I do however find it curious that if the author was trying to provoke an epiphany to Japanese to try and reverse historic prejudices toward illegitimate children, she sure torpedos that effort with an ending like that, but hey, nothing's perfect. Wink
And of course that prejudice only got big once the concept of illegitimate child was well established. Back before the Meiji era there was no distinct legal concept of wife. The son of a legitimate concubine had equal rights to inherit as the son of a wife. Another phenomena that developed recently was an opposition to adoption generally.
maaya

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
It is distasteful to Western audiences but in keeping with a lot of classic Japanese literature, including The Tale of Genji.

Come on, Genji was written 1000 years ago. Back then all this was pretty normal about everywhere in the world. It's nothing typically Japanese. Nor do Genji or other classics represent the culture of today. Some things have changed even in Japan o_O
Anymouse

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:04 pm Reply with quote
But some may deliberately want to invoke an old tale. Such as the author.
maaya

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:07 pm Reply with quote
if there is any indication (any references, statements etc.) of this, I would be interested in it. Imho it doesn't fit at all.
But as said before ... I'd love for ANN to get an interview and ask anybody involved with the series directly about the ending, why they chose it, how the overall reaction was, etc.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
if there is any indication (any references, statements etc.) of this

The...ending itself wasn't big enough a reference?

Quote:
Nor do Genji or other classics represent the culture of today.

Why would it matter whether it was representative of culture or not though? Look at all the modern remakes of Shakespeare plays.
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:26 pm Reply with quote
I wish people would shut up about the ending. This is volume 4, can we discuss volume 4? I don't know what the ending is and i DON'T WANT TO KNOW what the ending is until i read the final volume. -_-
Anymouse

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Just before we get back on topic, we should also remember that Lady Murasaki was considered somewhat tasteless in her time, but more for her amoral depiction of Genji's adultery than for her raise-a-wife concept. One monk even made the remark that she was certainly going to hell.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4