• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Madman To Release Card Captor Sakura and Rozen Maiden Overture

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madmangohan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Or you could just contact them yourself...

Here's their community forum
http://madboards.madman.com.au/

Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/madmanent

Either of those will give you an answer. The staff watch them regularly.
slykura

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:48 am Reply with quote
Hmm looks like my account still works here.

The Animax dub was not available for us to use. Rights to use those dubs on home video was never cleared and we would have spent two years finding every single voice actor and getting them to sign new rights for us to use the track on our DVD release. It would have been a long and financially draining task.

Careful research has been done and it was deemed not worth chasing. If fans would like to see a dub only cardcaptors release however we would be happy to entertain it should rights and enough people want this to be released.
shadee88

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:01 am Reply with quote
slykura wrote:
Hmm looks like my account still works here.

The Animax dub was not available for us to use. Rights to use those dubs on home video was never cleared and we would have spent two years finding every single voice actor and getting them to sign new rights for us to use the track on our DVD release. It would have been a long and financially draining task.

Careful research has been done and it was deemed not worth chasing. If fans would like to see a dub only cardcaptors release however we would be happy to entertain it should rights and enough people want this to be released.

Hey Skylura!!! Glad u can make it.

2 questions

How come u were able to get Cardcaptors English version easily but not Animax's English Dub?
I can also give some of the voice actors that worked on the roles. I'm not 100% sure for all of them.

These are 100% sure
Sakura Kinimoto-Andrea Kwan
Syaoran Li-Candace Moore
Meilin Li-Sarah Hauser

These I'm not 100% sure
Touya Kinimoto-Russell Wait
Kero (small)-Candace Moore
Kero (big)-Darren Pleavin

Not sure about other cast.

Also, did other people complain about not having Animax Dub track or just me?

Also, does that explain why not a single animax dub track has ever made it to DVD?
sonictail
ANN.au Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:38 am Reply with quote
shadee88 wrote:
I can also give some of the voice actors that worked on the roles. I'm not 100% sure for all of them.

These are 100% sure
Syaoran Li-Candace Moore
Meilin Li-Sarah Hauser

These I'm not 100% sure

I believe what Sly was trying to state is that getting those people to sign off on a new contract to allow for their voice to be used for a DVD release would not be viable. It's better to have Card Captor Sakura now rather than the Animax dub in two years.

Hell I originally watched the show via VHS subs created by my local anime club >.>

But I will admit your enthusiasm to list the actors and help is great.
shadee88

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:59 am Reply with quote
sonictail wrote:
shadee88 wrote:

These are 100% sure
Syaoran Li-Candace Moore
Meilin Li-Sarah Hauser

These I'm not 100% sure

I believe what Sly was trying to state is that getting those people to sign off on a new contract to allow for their voice to be used for a DVD release would not be viable. It's better to have Card Captor Sakura now rather than the Animax dub in two years.

Hell I originally watched the show via VHS subs created by my local anime club >.>

But I will admit your enthusiasm to list the actors and help is great.

"I believe what Sly was trying to state is that getting those people to sign off on a new contract to allow for their voice to be used for a DVD release would not be viable. It's better to have Card Captor Sakura now rather than the Animax dub in two years."

They've done that to get Nelvana Dubs. Why not Animax? What makes Nelvana and animax so different?

"But I will admit your enthusiasm to list the actors and help is great"

I was doing this 4 selfish reasons. I want the Animax Dub.

BTW, I'm from USA. If those DVDs include the Animax Dub, i'll definitely import that DVD.
madmangohan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:41 pm Reply with quote
shadee88 wrote:
They've done that to get Nelvana Dubs. Why not Animax? What makes Nelvana and animax so different?

It's not that they're different, but more the fact that it's been what, 10 years since Animax did the dub. I don't think you realise that contracts can and do expire.

When Madman licensed Nelvana's dub, Nelvana did all the hard yards, and their contract was still in full effect. Had Madman tried to license Animax's dub at this time, I'm sure there wouldn't have been that many issues.

But now, the contracts would be expired, and they likely never had a clause for use in Australia to begin with. Either way, a new contract would need to be created, for every single person involved.
Now you might think that'd be as simple as a 5 minute search on google, but then you have to track them all down, and have them agree to the contracts individually. That's not something you can do in an afternoon with a couple of dollars worth of phone calls.

But hey, if you think you can name and locate every single staff member who worked on the Animax dub, have them agree to sign a contract, and forward it all to Madman, then please, be my guest.
As it's about the only way it'll ever happen without someone ponying up a ton of money for little return.

shadee88 wrote:

BTW, I'm from USA. If those DVDs include the Animax Dub, i'll definitely import that DVD.
Good for you. I'd also buy it if they did it.
But the simple fact is, that without cold hard cash put forward, it just isn't a viable risk.
Just because 1000 people said they would do something, doesn't mean they will when the time comes to do it.
shadee88

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:35 pm Reply with quote
madmangohan wrote:
shadee88 wrote:

It's not that they're different, but more the fact that it's been what, 10 years since Animax did the dub. I don't think you realise that contracts can and do expire.

When Madman licensed Nelvana's dub, Nelvana did all the hard yards, and their contract was still in full effect. Had Madman tried to license Animax's dub at this time, I'm sure there wouldn't have been that many issues.

But now, the contracts would be expired, and they likely never had a clause for use in Australia to begin with. Either way, a new contract would need to be created, for every single person involved.
Now you might think that'd be as simple as a 5 minute search on google, but then you have to track them all down, and have them agree to the contracts individually. That's not something you can do in an afternoon with a couple of dollars worth of phone calls.

But hey, if you think you can name and locate every single staff member who worked on the Animax dub, have them agree to sign a contract, and forward it all to Madman, then please, be my guest.
As it's about the only way it'll ever happen without someone ponying up a ton of money for little return.

shadee88 wrote:

Good for you. I'd also buy it if they did it.
But the simple fact is, that without cold hard cash put forward, it just isn't a viable risk.
Just because 1000 people said they would do something, doesn't mean they will when the time comes to do it.

Animax created their dub 6 years ago. Nelvana created their dub 12 years ago.

"When Madman licensed Nelvana's dub, Nelvana did all the hard yards, and their contract was still in full effect. Had Madman tried to license Animax's dub at this time, I'm sure there wouldn't have been that many issues."

Could u rephrase the above sentence? Thanks

"But now, the contracts would be expired, and they likely never had a clause for use in Australia to begin with. Either way, a new contract would need to be created, for every single person involved.
Now you might think that'd be as simple as a 5 minute search on google, but then you have to track them all down, and have them agree to the contracts individually. That's not something you can do in an afternoon with a couple of dollars worth of phone calls. "

How come Madman doesn't have 2 do all this to release the Nelvana Dub? Slykura said they are happy 2 release the Cardcaptors only dub if enough people want it.

"But hey, if you think you can name and locate every single staff member who worked on the Animax dub, have them agree to sign a contract, and forward it all to Madman, then please, be my guest.
As it's about the only way it'll ever happen without someone ponying up a ton of money for little return."

I can probably name but not locate. I don't have Animax's phone number and that asshole that works at Sony Pictures Entertainment refuses to give it to me. The people who work at Sony really don't like talking to individuals/public about this, or at all. They even went as far as begging me to never call them again.

Which is why we're powerless.

"Good for you. I'd also buy it if they did it.
Just because 1000 people said they would do something, doesn't mean they will when the time comes to do it."

Importing is nothing... I'll do things to get what I want... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
slykura

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:23 am Reply with quote
When I stated that there was a possibility of doing a Cardcaptors Release that was only under the assumption that there's enough of a demand and also if we can even clear rights.

Nothing is confirmed.

As I've stated, when the actors dubbed the show they did not sign off for it to be exploited for use outside of the Animax South East Asia broadcast territories and certainly not for a home video release.

We had previously been able to release the Nelvana dub because at the time of licensing, the rights were available and already cleared for use in Australia. This might not be the case at the moment, but we would need to check. We did not check for rights as we could not present this uncut.

We'd love to be able to present the product in as many ways as possible, but to be honest, this was a big risky experiment on our part to even release this series. It's been many years since the original release so there are always risks that not enough people would want to purchase it to have justified the cost of licensing.

I still hope that what we have done has made some fans happy. If you guys buy this version it will mean that we will have more reason to find more of these old lost gems to acquire and release.
madmangohan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:27 am Reply with quote
With the picture painted a bit more clearly, I believe there's a hypothetical question to be asked in this whole matter Wink

Had Animax included a home video distribution section in their contract at the time, would Madman have opted to use it now, or is the possibility of causing issues with Nelvana if Madman were to ever license the first movie with dubbing stop you from doing so?

...Now that I re-read that, I think I'm sort of asking you again if you're going to license the movies :p
shadee88

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:33 am Reply with quote
slykura wrote:
When I stated that there was a possibility of doing a Cardcaptors Release that was only under the assumption that there's enough of a demand and also if we can even clear rights.

Nothing is confirmed.

As I've stated, when the actors dubbed the show they did not sign off for it to be exploited for use outside of the Animax South East Asia broadcast territories and certainly not for a home video release.

We had previously been able to release the Nelvana dub because at the time of licensing, the rights were available and already cleared for use in Australia. This might not be the case at the moment, but we would need to check. We did not check for rights as we could not present this uncut.

We'd love to be able to present the product in as many ways as possible, but to be honest, this was a big risky experiment on our part to even release this series. It's been many years since the original release so there are always risks that not enough people would want to purchase it to have justified the cost of licensing.

I still hope that what we have done has made some fans happy. If you guys buy this version it will mean that we will have more reason to find more of these old lost gems to acquire and release.

"Cardcaptors Release that was only under the assumption that there's enough of a demand and also if we can even clear rights. "

Didn't u release some Cardcaptors version before?

"As I've stated, when the actors dubbed the show they did not sign off for it to be exploited for use outside of the Animax South East Asia broadcast territories and certainly not for a home video release.

We had previously been able to release the Nelvana dub because at the time of licensing, the rights were available and already cleared for use in Australia. This might not be the case at the moment, but we would need to check."

So basically saying,
when Nelvana had the rights to Cardcaptors, the actors ALREADY signed for exporting use and home video release?
and when Animax had the rights to Cardcaptor Sakura, the actors DID NOT sign for exporting use and home video release?

Is that why getting Nelvana Dubs is easier than Animax Dubs?

"We did not check for rights as we could not present this uncut. "

Huh? Nelvana never created an uncut English Dub of their version.

"We'd love to be able to present the product in as many ways as possible, but to be honest, this was a big risky experiment on our part to even release this series. It's been many years since the original release so there are always risks that not enough people would want to purchase it to have justified the cost of licensing. "

Yeah, u released I think 6 volumes (30 episodes) originally of Cardcaptors? How come u didn't release the rest (not that I want it or anything). Just asking.

"I still hope that what we have done has made some fans happy. If you guys buy this version it will mean that we will have more reason to find more of these old lost gems to acquire and release."

You mean get the Animax Dub or Nelvana Dub?
madmangohan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:20 am Reply with quote
shadee88 wrote:
Yes, but when Nelvana lost its license in 2006, so did anyone who distributed their gear, such as Madman.
Madman may now have the CCS license, but not the license to use Nelvana's dub, something they'd need to re-acquire separately.

shadee88 wrote:
So basically saying,
when Nelvana had the rights to Cardcaptors, the actors ALREADY signed for exporting use and home video release?
and when Animax had the rights to Cardcaptor Sakura, the actors DID NOT sign for exporting use and home video release?

Exactly, you're finally understanding it now.

This issue is Animax's fault more than anything, so you can stop calling companies idiots and retards for not releasing the dub, and go and protest Animax/Sony for not putting more into their contracts.

shadee88 wrote:

That's exactly what Sly was saying though.
Madman didn't bother chasing the Nelvana dub for this release because they knew there were changes to it that would stop them from simply sticking the dub onto the same disc.

shadee88 wrote:
Yeah, u released I think 6 volumes (30 episodes) originally of Cardcaptors? How come u didn't release the rest (not that I want it or anything). Just asking.
It. Sold. Like. Crap.

Sly, if you're reading, I'd totally take it though >_>

shadee88 wrote:
Neither. He's talking about other anime titles that have been kicked to the curb over the years.
shadee88

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:04 pm Reply with quote
madmangohan wrote:
shadee88 wrote:
Yes, but when Nelvana lost its license in 2006, so did anyone who distributed their gear, such as Madman.
Madman may now have the CCS license, but not the license to use Nelvana's dub, something they'd need to re-acquire separately.

shadee88 wrote:
So basically saying,

Exactly, you're finally understanding it now.

This issue is Animax's fault more than anything, so you can stop calling companies idiots and retards for not releasing the dub, and go and protest Animax/Sony for not putting more into their contracts.

shadee88 wrote:

That's exactly what Sly was saying though.
Madman didn't bother chasing the Nelvana dub for this release because they knew there were changes to it that would stop them from simply sticking the dub onto the same disc.

shadee88 wrote:
It. Sold. Like. Crap.

Sly, if you're reading, I'd totally take it though >_>

shadee88 wrote:
Neither. He's talking about other anime titles that have been kicked to the curb over the years.

"Exactly, you're finally understanding it now. "

Yeah, i feel like such an idiot.

"This issue is Animax's fault more than anything, so you can stop calling companies idiots and retards for not releasing the dub, and go and protest Animax/Sony for not putting more into their contracts. "

I bash at Animax for several reasons.
#1, not releasing their older dubs on DVD.
#2, Airing whatever crap they feel like (and subs) these days and not listening to what the viewers want.
#3, when ratings aren't as high as Animax wants, they either demand more money from their customers, yell at customers, and say ur not supporting us, fudge u, well remove the channel from u.

they blame customers when it is really their own fault.

"That's exactly what Sly was saying though.
Madman didn't bother chasing the Nelvana dub for this release because they knew there were changes to it that would stop them from simply sticking the dub onto the same disc. "

Do u know any other English dub of Cardcaptor Sakura which is uncut and true to the original, other than the Animax Dub?

I wished Madman created their own dub?

"Neither. He's talking about other anime titles that have been kicked to the curb over the years."

Which shows were they, I hope they are shows i'm interested in...

This Sux, there are hardly anything i like.[/quote]

Since Madman has a hard time getting CCS Animax Dub, will Netflix have a hard time getting that as well?
madmangohan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:13 pm Reply with quote
shadee88 wrote:
Do u know any other English dub of Cardcaptor Sakura which is uncut and true to the original, other than the Animax Dub?
Nope. Not too many series ever get more than one English dub in its lifetime.

shadee88 wrote:
It's too much of a risk financially.

shadee88 wrote:
Anything out of print and not licensed. Things like Sailor Moon (although that's a pipe dream from my understanding), Samurai Pizza Cats (another pipe dream).

shadee88 wrote:
Since Madman has a hard time getting CCS Animax Dub, will Netflix have a hard time getting that as well?
Very likely. Online streaming is also something that needs to be contracted.
shadee88

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:25 pm Reply with quote
madmangohan wrote:
shadee88 wrote:
Nope. Not too many series ever get more than one English dub in its lifetime.

shadee88 wrote:
It's too much of a risk financially.

shadee88 wrote:
Anything out of print and not licensed. Things like Sailor Moon (although that's a pipe dream from my understanding), Samurai Pizza Cats (another pipe dream).

shadee88 wrote:
Very likely. Online streaming is also something that needs to be contracted.

"Nope. Not too many series ever get more than one English dub in its lifetime."

Tell that to dragon ball that has 7-8 different English Dubs.
(Harmony Gold, Blue Water, Ocean, Funimation, Animax, Saban, Filipino, Singapore?)

"Anything out of print and not licensed. Things like Sailor Moon (although that's a pipe dream from my understanding), Samurai Pizza Cats (another pipe dream)."

Sailor Moon? A pipe dream of yours that will never come true. Naoko Tacheuki strictly doesn't want anyone to touch it.

Samurai Pizza Cats? Where do u get that idea that its a pipe dream?

"Very likely. Online streaming is also something that needs to be contracted."

Most of my doubts are cleared right now except for few.

What about any company broadcasting?

What about Sony themselves using it again (DVD, etc.)?

Also, both Cartoon Network India and Animax had the rights to Cardcaptor at the same time? I think? How come CN India aired Nelvana Dub instead of Animax Dub?
madmangohan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:31 am Reply with quote
shadee88 wrote:
Tell that to dragon ball that has 7-8 different English Dubs.
(Harmony Gold, Blue Water, Ocean, Funimation, Animax, Saban, Filipino, Singapore?)
Close, except Saban didn't do a dub (they hired Ocean), and Singapore I believe didn't dub anything (it was in the Philippines).

But yeah, it's certainly a record setter in the amount of times its been dubbed. They beat that horse in many different ways.

shadee88 wrote:
Sailor Moon? A pipe dream of yours that will never come true. Naoko Tacheuki strictly doesn't want anyone to touch it.
That may change one day, especially with the new series starting next year. The series also did get a revival on TV in a number of countries over the last 2 years, unfortunately none of them were English native. But hey, you never know right? Wink

shadee88 wrote:
Samurai Pizza Cats? Where do u get that idea that its a pipe dream?
That was my error, I completely forgot that it got licensed recently (finally). But you get the gist of what Sly was talking about.

shadee88 wrote:
What about any company broadcasting?
It would be put into the contract which countries and networks could broadcast it.
But as Sly said, Animax only signed off for South East Asia broadcast territories, so outside of those, no go.

shadee88 wrote:
What about Sony themselves using it again (DVD, etc.)?
Still counts as video distribution, so Sony would have to re-do the contracts just like Madman would have to.

shadee88 wrote:
Also, both Cartoon Network India and Animax had the rights to Cardcaptor at the same time? I think? How come CN India aired Nelvana Dub instead of Animax Dub?
Likely because CN in America chose to use the Nelvana Dub (as it was the only one around at the time), so it was already paid for, edited, and ready to be shown on their networks elsewhere without drama.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4