• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bodacious Space Pirates (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:02 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Is this show ever going to get around to some actual pirating? I was expecting brutal depravity, pirates burning down cities, shooting children, shoving people out of airlocks.

What do we get instead? A half hour of schoolgirls sitting around typing away at computers and spewing technobabble.

Finally, a kindred spirit appears in this thread.
jsc315

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Is this show ever going to get around to some actual pirating? I was expecting brutal depravity, pirates burning down cities, shooting children, shoving people out of airlocks.

What do we get instead? A half hour of schoolgirls sitting around typing away at computers and spewing technobabble.

Finally, a kindred spirit appears in this thread.

I was expecting this show to be something kind of similar to Captain Harlock. I knew that nothing could live up to those expectations though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Key

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious to see what the people who have been complaining about the dearth of action will say about episode 5. Although it may not have been the flashy, physical action that some viewers wanted, I nonetheless thought it was exceptionally well-executed, at least reasonably plausible, and demonstrated definitively why Marika, despite giving off a ditz vibe, should captain the Bentenmaru. (The only real question about her worthiness that remains is whether or not she's going to have a sufficient killer instinct when the dirty work is required.) Lots of little treats, too, including finally finding out who Chiaki really is and spoiler[Marika finally addressing her mother as "Mom"]. It also reaffirmed that my second-favorite character so far, after Marika, is Jenny Doolittle, the club president. She's formidable in her own right.

The one thing that bothered me was the spoiler[Stellar Military ship designs, which were obviously designed to look like knives]. I found that to be a bit laughable.

Looks like next ep will finally get Marika on the Bentenmaru. Definitely looking forward to that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
(The only real question about her worthiness that remains is whether or not she's going to have a sufficient killer instinct when the dirty work is required.)
Is there dirty work required? We still have no indication of what it is that pirates/privateers do in this setting.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I'm curious to see what the people who have been complaining about the dearth of action will say about episode 5.

I dug it, especially after spoiler[the enemy ship began firing. Shit got real.] Although, even before the long awaited intensification, I was still borne along. Personally, I think the show dragged out the introductory stuff too long (especially if this really is only a 13 eppie show), however I am nothing if not forgiving and it definitely seems like the languid prologue is finally out of the way. Bring on the swashbuckling, sez I!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:06 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping that this would be longer than 13 episodes, but there Marika is sure worthy of the hat she looks to be wearing next episode. Seeing their plan put in to action was great, a bit of a shock spoiler[when it sudenly turned because they were also pretty quick and shut down their sophisticated systems. But Marika thought quickly and used the sails to do that trick where you reflectlight into people's eyes, looked pretty.]

I didn't really think spoiler[Chiaki was another pirate (in a similar position to Marika actually), she was a little too proper, so does that make them allys, or rivals?]
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Episode five was pretty awesome. As I think back upon it, it was a remarkably minimalist; most of the action was on the bridge of the Odette II and when it went outside of that, it was fairly reserved, but that just makes it all the finer in my eyes. Hell; that kind of style worked wonders for Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. This episode had me pretty excited the whole way through and I look forward to watching it a second time tomorrow or Monday, which is a rare quality for anything. I'm also very eager to see how the next act of the larger story plays out. I'm hopeful that the producers will be able to integrate the crew of the Bentemaru into the cast in a balanced way.

I'm glad that somebody explicitly said that the Odette II had no weapons or shields. I had been a little uncertain as to how the battle would play out in this episode and having it turn out that a former pirate ship had entered civilian service without being demilitarized would've been awkward for me to swallow. Points for showing that Misa and Kane were well aware of what was happening and prepared to intervene if necessary, but willing to let the girls have their chance.

The whole engagement played out more excitingly than I'd expected. This was especially true of the initial electronic skirmish with the Lightning 11; it managed to be compelling and a little tense without resorting to a sudden reversal or dumb shōnen-style AH-HAH, BUT I WAS MERELY TOYING WITH YOU ALL ALONG! moment. The Lightning 11's tactical response seemed sensible and allowed for a second act that was the equal of the first. A more visceral sense that 'sh*t just got real!' might've been nice, but it went swimmingly overall.

That there spoiler[was a second pirate ship] surprised me; I wonder if a some events from prior episodes, especially the RADAR scene from episode four, would make further sense in light of Chiaki's revelation.

I really appreciate that Bodacious Space Pirates has told its story patiently; that approach has really made this more satisfying for me and enhanced the feeling of the payoff when it at last came. This series continues to feel like an old-school science fiction adventure story, which works just fine and dandy for me.

It cools my enthusiasm slightly to realize that so much of what I like about Bodacious Space Pirates is just that it's been made with a particular degree of competence that seems uncommon otherwise and that it wasn't as trashy as its title made so many of us think that it would be, but if those are the worst things that I'm apt to say about it so far, I must have little to complain about.

infiltration.cru wrote:
escape artist, please take note, that i will likely print out your first post in this thread, frame it and put it on my room's wall.

You talkin' to me?
You talkin' to me?
You must be talkin' to...

Uh, I've never actually seen Taxi Driver.

Regardless, I'm pretty sure that you were referring to my (Surrender Artist's) post and thanks awfully for that.

infiltration.cru wrote:
i can definitely feel the response you talked about. everytime i listen to the opening song, a big, dumb grin spreads across my face, i stand up and play air guitar and bang my head.

I go with more of an eager smile, rocking back and forth a bit and perhaps waving my hands excitedly, but I'm sort of a low-key weirdo type.

Key wrote:
It also reaffirmed that my second-favorite character so far, after Marika, is Jenny Doolittle, the club president. She's formidable in her own right.

I agree. I'm very gratified that the series has avoided making the yacht club a lot of debased 'cute girls who do cute things' types, but is instead giving hints that they're an unusually capable bunch and that Jenny is particularly badass. I'm hopeful that, as the opening suggests, the members of the yacht club will remain relevant to the series even as Marika assumes command of the Bentemaru.

DuskyPredator wrote:
I was hoping that this would be longer than 13 episodes...

I'm not sure of the length. Crunchyroll and the press release from Sentai Filmworks both indicate that it will be twenty six episodes long, which would be more consistent with the pacing of the series. I certainly hope that it's that long; so long as it doesn't falter, I want as much of this as makes sense.

(I wish that there were a better source for the length, if for no other reason for some of the stupid things in that press release, especially, "Get ready for intergalactic buccaneering unlike any you've ever seen before as the spaceways get broad-sided by cutting lasses, curvy knaves and the sexiest pirate's chest ever in MOURETSU PIRATES!" which basically tries to see the series as exactly what I'm glad it's turned out not to be.)

DuskyPredator wrote:
I didn't really think spoiler[Chiaki was another pirate (in a similar position to Marika actually), she was a little too proper, so does that make them allys, or rivals?]

I was surprised by the revelation and that it came this soon. I'm glad that it wasn't delayed too long; it was obvious that Chiaki was more than just 'a transfer student' (well, to the genre-savvy, she was exactly that), but holding on to revelations like that for too long builds impossible expectations. Pulling the trigger on it now, when it could still have some punch without being too momentous, made sense. As for your question, I suspect that the answer to that might be an important part of the rest of the series.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:19 am; edited 5 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
That there was spoiler[a second pirate ship] surprised me; I wonder if a some events from prior episodes, especially the RADAR scene from episode four, would make further sense in light of Chiaki's revelation.

There's no question that spoiler[the second ship was the other "no transponder" vessel mentioned in episode 4]. (And you really should be using spoiler tags, BTW, since that's a major new revelation.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:49 pm Reply with quote
I think the four episode build up to this was totally worth it.

DuskyPredator wrote:

spoiler[It could easily be both. I wouldn't mind if they wind up in a friendly rivalry.]
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:59 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

DuskyPredator wrote:
I was hoping that this would be longer than 13 episodes...

I'm not sure of the length. Crunchyroll and the press release from Sentai Filmworks both indicate that it will be twenty six episodes long, which would be more consistent with the pacing of the series. I certainly hope that it's that long; so long as it doesn't falter, I want as much of this as makes sense.

(I wish that there were a better source for the length,

The Japanese home video releases are usually a good way to tell, though it only indicates how many consecutive episodes there will be. If its a situation like Fate/Zero, The World God Only Knows, or Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere in which it is planned from the beginning to have a three (or six, in Horizon's case) month break between the two halves.

In any case, the Horizon BD/DVD solicitations show that this is a 26 episode series.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:02 am Reply with quote
Episode 5 was a great episode. The electronic warfare between the Odette II and Lighting 11 was exciting and love how Jenny gave the Lighting 11 the "Nuts" message and Marika quick planing after spoiler[Lighting 11 got serious.] Also the revelation that spoiler[Chiaki was also space pirate was obvious since the ED did show her father and his name.]

And as for the people that been asking about how many episode this anime will have: Yes this anime will have 26 episodes so don't worry about this anime being over soon.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:17 am Reply with quote
I'm glad to hear this will be a 2-cour show. Also, even though the prologue is over, I'm not expecting that the pace will suddenly become breakneck and I'm fine with that. I suspect I'll have more patience with the deliberate rhythm now that Marika will be strutting around her actual ship in a snazzy pirate coat. Call me shallow.
Bored_Ming

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:48 am Reply with quote
Great buildup and payoff. spoiler[Nice to see that Marika took Moms speech to heart about the power of a pirate. Marika decided to just blind them and not pull the trigger. Killing was not necessary this time. That's probably also the moment she decided she could become a pirate. Marika was testing herself as much as everyone else was testing her.]

I'm going to assume that Jenny and the Odette II will be back. spoiler[Jenny's dad may be a "retired" pirate with his own letter of marque. That could explain why Jenny knew about Marika's situation. Dad runs the school, daughter is president of the Yacht Club, Odette II is the ship and it has a private docking bay. Lots of big glowing signs. The show mentions the "seven original" several times. Jenny and crew will resurrect the Odette II as a full fledged pirate ship. We would then have three with maybe four more on the way?? My wild assumption is that a new war or revolution is brewing and the pirate ships will be needed again.]

I laughed a little at the ship design for the Navy. Then I thought about it. When you look at the ships they do send the message, "DON'T EFF WITH US!"

Looking forward to the next stage of the series.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:05 am Reply with quote
Bored_Ming wrote:
I'm going to assume that Jenny and the Odette II will be back. spoiler[Jenny's dad may be a "retired" pirate with his own letter of marque. That could explain why Jenny knew about Marika's situation. Dad runs the school, daughter is president of the Yacht Club, Odette II is the ship and it has a private docking bay. Lots of big glowing signs. The show mentions the "seven original" several times. Jenny and crew will resurrect the Odette II as a full fledged pirate ship. We would then have three with maybe four more on the way?? My wild assumption is that a new war or revolution is brewing and the pirate ships will be needed again.]

That's an angle I hadn't even considered before, but many things would make quite a bit more sense if it is true.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:48 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait to finally see the Bentenmaru in all its glory!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 27