• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Stream Puella Magi Madoka Magica Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:40 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
It's kind of funny that even though GATSU has long exhibited this behaviour, some people are still unaware of how much of a waste of time it is talking to him.

It's pretty obvious that that's the case. ^_^

Quote:
If you read his posts he's polite enough, but he just doesn't listen to anyone. Once he gets an idea in his head he refuses to accept that he could be wrong, even in the face of evidence that contradicts him.

Seems that way so far.

Quote:
He goes off on tangents like you wouldn't believe. He claims that Kuragehime (Princess Jellyfish) outsold Puella Magi Madoka Magica. The former show bombed which I think is sad, even though I never watched it.

Well, Kuragehime does seem to have some outstanding sales numbers for the manga, based upon a sales article or two here on ANN, but yeah, the anime disc sales barely averaged over a thousand copies for each volume.

Quote:
GATSU's a fountain of biased and incorrect information, and stubbornly refuses to change his mind when wrong. That is not an insult towards him or a personal attack, it is a statement of fact. So please people, do not feed him.

I'm bored this evening. I wouldn't have spent so much time typing up my previous reply if I weren't. ^_^

Quote:
If you want to waste your time pointlessly arguing, go argue with a brick wall.

GATSU's not a brick wall?!?
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:03 am Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
GATSU's not a brick wall?!?

No, he's not. A brick wall is more open-minded.

Look, if GATSU decides to actually pony up with some solid evidence to support his position in for the DVD authoring debate, then I'll accept it. I actually don't have much of an opinion either way, so if he can make a good argument that changing the data on DVDs and Blu-Rays is not overly difficult, then I could well be convinced. But he's had plenty of opportunities to do so already and . . . nothing.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:23 am Reply with quote
Ingraman:
Quote:
You haven't exactly told us how to add more data to a Blu-ray without ripping it and re-encoding it, either. I am curious to see what you can point to that shows how easy it is to add all those additional elements to a commercial Blu-ray.

Well, this is a start.

Quote:
How is getting a disc player to ignore the bits of data which say play/don't play anywhere near equivalent to changing the data on a commmercial disc?

I think you answered your own question.

Quote:
If you look at this post, you'll see that Madoka did quite well with the average number of discs sold per volume last year, and it gives you an idea how the BD vs. DVD sales went...

Actually, that's a bit misleading, because it calculates BD and DVD sales.

Quote:
Which stats? I just see a list of articles that refer to Madoka Magica.

Articles on sales ranks.

Quote:
How is that not what AniplexUSA has done? Press new discs with four dual-audio, subtitled episodes, create english-language packaging and put them together.

If they pressed new discs, then why not make enough LEs to sustain demand longer?

Quote:
I can see how you could perhaps say that if the US release of the import set came long after the sales in Japan slowed down and they had extra copies laying around all over the place, but when we got it no more than a week after the Japanese release?

It's an expensive property, and they knew it'd be niche, even in Japan.

Quote:
Sony will want each part of the company to show a profit, and Sony's disc-pressing subsidiary can't do that if they give their services away. It makes perfect sense...

I'm not sure how it makes sense for them to be profitable by paying extra for something they already own.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:33 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Ingraman:
Quote:
You haven't exactly told us how to add more data to a Blu-ray without ripping it and re-encoding it, either. I am curious to see what you can point to that shows how easy it is to add all those additional elements to a commercial Blu-ray.

Well, this is a start.

No, that's not a start at all, that link is about reading the data on the BD disc and decoding the data. It has zero to do with taking physical Factory-Written BD-ROM discs and changing the information on the discs themselves.

Since the companies we are talking about have the original materials, they don't need to hack a BD to get at the data.

Rather, it seemed as if you were saying that the actual discs could be physically rewritten, when they were originally molded with the data hard coded into the discs. That can only be done from 0 to 1 and 1 to 0 with R/W media, and it can only be done one way with Write-Only media. With Factory-Written media it cannot be done at all.

And it, of course, makes no financial sense, since the pressing of new BDs is only a fraction of the cost of the generation of the materials that were supposed to be "hacked" onto already existing BD discs, and the hacking process would be an ad hoc and, since its not common enough to be mechanically automated, labor intensive process so the net savings would be small or entirely absent. That's what made it so gloriously insane: doing the physically impossible in pursuit of nil or negligible savings.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:31 pm Reply with quote
agila:
Quote:
And it, of course, makes no financial sense, since the pressing of new BDs is only a fraction of the cost of the generation of the materials that were supposed to be "hacked" onto already existing BD discs, and the hacking process would be an ad hoc and,

Again, packaging adds to the cost.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:55 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
agila:
Quote:
And it, of course, makes no financial sense, since the pressing of new BDs is only a fraction of the cost of the generation of the materials that were supposed to be "hacked" onto already existing BD discs, and the hacking process would be an ad hoc and,

Again, packaging adds to the cost.
Assuming what you claim happened could be done, pressing and packaging new discs is a hell of a lot less labor intensive than unpacking, modifying and repackaging old discs. At any rate, the cost of pressing a BD isn't very much at all(about the same price as for DVDs), certainly not enough to warrant the effort you're attributing to them.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:27 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Ingraman:
Quote:

Well, this is a start.

And that says absolutely nothing about adding to the data already present on a commercial Blu-ray disc. I've already stated that discs can be ripped and re-encoded, but that's not changing the manufactured disc, that's making a changed duplicate (and that's a silly term, isn't it?).

Quote:
Quote:
How is getting a disc player to ignore the bits of data which say play/don't play anywhere near equivalent to changing the data on a commmercial disc?

I think you answered your own question.

That has nothing to do with adding data to a pressed disc. Or are you going to add the extra audio/subtitle/extras data to the player, rather than the disc?

Quote:
Quote:
If you look at this post, you'll see that Madoka did quite well with the average number of discs sold per volume last year, and it gives you an idea how the BD vs. DVD sales went...

What's misleading? The Madoka line says an average per-volume release of 71,057 discs, which is immediately broken down to 10,234 DVDs + 60,823 BDs on the same line. Since you mentioned them before as having outsold Madoka: Tiger&Bunny averaged 27,948 discs (2,014 DVD + 25,935 BD); Kuragehime/Princess Jellyfish averaged 1,072 discs (586 DVD + 487 BD).

Quote:
Quote:
Which stats? I just see a list of articles that refer to Madoka Magica.

Articles on sales ranks.

The numbers that I mention above show sales comparisons for the various TV series. A look at several of ANN's Japanese Blu-ray sales articles agree that Madoka outsold darned near every series in cumulative sales for a volume, even if not on a single-week basis. Movies often outsell even top-selling series, especially since there's no committing to them as you would a series, so I can see both Naruto and One Piece movies perhaps selling more, but no one seems to buy the TV episode discs.

Quote:
Quote:
How is that not what AniplexUSA has done? Press new discs with four dual-audio, subtitled episodes, create english-language packaging and put them together.

If they pressed new discs, then why not make enough LEs to sustain demand longer?

We don't know how many Madoka LEs have been produced for the US. Maybe demand for the LEs will be met. They haven't been discontinued yet. If we see them getting heavily discounted like the R.O.D TV sets were, then we'll know that they've produced too many and are practically throwing them away.

Quote:
Quote:
I can see how you could perhaps say that if the US release of the import set came long after the sales in Japan slowed down and they had extra copies laying around all over the place, but when we got it no more than a week after the Japanese release?

It's an expensive property, and they knew it'd be niche, even in Japan.

They "knew it'd be niche"? If the earlier DVDs sold as well as the one for the final movie (22k+ according the post linked to below), then sales were pretty good. They don't seem to have overproduced the Kara no Kyoukai sets since neither HMV, CDJapan, nor Amazon have copies left to sell. Aniplex had pre-order numbers for both countries and probably didn't produce too many more copies than what was needed to cover them. Heck, if the KnK BD box sold about 27k copies (as shown at the bottom of this post, that's about as many copies as Tiger&Bunny averaged per volume. How is that a flop? Between movie ticket sales, DVD sales, and BD sales, that's a lot of income...

Quote:
Quote:
Sony will want each part of the company to show a profit, and Sony's disc-pressing subsidiary can't do that if they give their services away. It makes perfect sense...

I'm not sure how it makes sense for them to be profitable by paying extra for something they already own.

Someone needs to pay for the use/maintenance of the equipment, the materials involved, and the wages of the employees. It's not likely that all the income from each division of Sony immediately goes back into one big bank account. Subsidiaries have to meet income expectations, or they're sold off or shut down.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:16 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:

Seriously GATSU, enough. I just can't take it anymore.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:44 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
TheAncientOne:
Quote:
One cannot take a commercial DVD and add information to it. They are stamped from a master, in a process not entirely dissimilar to how vinyl records are made.

Except you can't recode vinyl.

Actually, as vinyl could be reformed into a flat disc under heat and pressure, they could be reformed into a smooth disc and restamped, but it would make little economic sense to do so.

This is something you are overlooking with DVDs and Blu-ray discs. Even if it were possible to do so, it makes no economic sense. The actual cost per disc is small.

If a technique existed to alter DVDs and BDs after manufacture, and were more economical than simply producing new discs, it would be used to produce DVDs and Blu-ray discs from the start.

GATSU wrote:
TheAncientOne:
Quote:
Yet you seem to be suggesting they added subtitles, changed the region code, added a dub soundtrack and somehow replaced the original menus with English menus.

Well, if you can hack a DVD/BD player to make it region-free, I'm not sure why you can't do the same for the disc itself.

Hacking a player involves modifying firmware, which on any Blu-ray player or modern DVD player is stored in flash RAM, which by design is a rewriteable medium.

Even if you could somehow "hack" the region code on a stamped disc that is backed by a disc of polycarbonate plastic on on side and sealed with lacquer on the other, you still have the problem of adding all that data (subtitles, English audio track), and as someone else pointed out, even increasing the number of episodes per disc.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:31 pm Reply with quote
For f*ck's sake, GATSU, your tin-foil hat conspiracy theory is not only completely illogical, it's utterly random (why does this even MATTER?!).
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Ingraman:
Quote:
I've already stated that discs can be ripped and re-encoded, but that's not changing the manufactured disc, that's making a changed duplicate (and that's a silly term, isn't it?).

So you're saying a company which set the standards for replicating the discs can't reverse engineer them?

Quote:
The Madoka line says an average per-volume release of 71,057 discs, which is immediately broken down to 10,234 DVDs + 60,823 BDs on the same line.

It's misleading, because it was implied that it was an average per disc, rather than the series as a whole.

Quote:
Since you mentioned them before as having outsold Madoka: Tiger&Bunny averaged 27,948 discs (2,014 DVD + 25,935 BD); Kuragehime/Princess Jellyfish averaged 1,072 discs (586 DVD + 487 BD).

Perhaps, but those shows still had higher weekly sales ranks than Madoka and didn't have gimmicky LEs to artificially inflate company earnings like Madoka. Nor does it prove that the show is more popular in the sense that it would have done well, if sold as a bare-bones item.

Quote:
Movies often outsell even top-selling series, especially since there's no committing to them as you would a series, so I can see both Naruto and One Piece movies perhaps selling more, but no one seems to buy the TV episode discs.

Well, they wouldn't continue making 'em if no one was buying 'em.

Quote:
They "knew it'd be niche"? If the earlier DVDs sold as well as the one for the final movie (22k+ according the post linked to below), then sales were pretty good.

It did alright, but

Quote:
They don't seem to have overproduced the Kara no Kyoukai sets since neither HMV, CDJapan, nor Amazon have copies left to sell.

But they're still streaming it, which probably means they lost money on the cost of producing it.

Quote:
Heck, if the KnK BD box sold about 27k copies (as shown at the bottom of this post, that's about as many copies as Tiger&Bunny averaged per volume. How is that a flop?

Because they had to sell it all as a box to make any money back on it. Sure, the last disc did alright, but people had to be motivated to get it.

Quote:
Someone needs to pay for the use/maintenance of the equipment, the materials involved, and the wages of the employees. It's not likely that all the income from each division of Sony immediately goes back into one big bank account. Subsidiaries have to meet income expectations, or they're sold off or shut down.

You're gonna pay for maintenance, materials, and wages, anyway. Not sure why you wanna pay double for the first two, though.

AncientOne:
Quote:
Actually, as vinyl could be reformed into a flat disc under heat and pressure, they could be reformed into a smooth disc and restamped, but it would make little economic sense to do so.

I see. The more you know...

Quote:
Even if it were possible to do so, it makes no economic sense. The actual cost per disc is small.

Again, it's the packaging and shipping which adds to the cost.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:20 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Quote:
The Madoka line says an average per-volume release of 71,057 discs, which is immediately broken down to 10,234 DVDs + 60,823 BDs on the same line.

It's misleading, because it was implied that it was an average per disc, rather than the series as a whole.

You just misunderstood what he said. You don't average the sales of each individual volume as there is only one total number for them. You can't average one number. And averaging multiple weeks of a single volume is pointless and does not give you anything remotely useful.

Quote:
Quote:
Since you mentioned them before as having outsold Madoka: Tiger&Bunny averaged 27,948 discs (2,014 DVD + 25,935 BD); Kuragehime/Princess Jellyfish averaged 1,072 discs (586 DVD + 487 BD).

Perhaps, but those shows still had higher weekly sales ranks than Madoka

They only had higher weekly ranks if their first week of release was after the first week of a Madoka release. Madoka Magica was #1 in its first week every single time it released, at least among anime, unless there was an odd week in there were it released on the same week as some major movie that I'm forgetting about.

But weekly sales ranks are only a relative ranking for any given week. Tiger and Bunny's first week sales beating Madoka's second or third week sales does not mean Tiger and Bunny sold more than Madoka Magica. Most shows don't rank for more than two weeks and sales after the first week are *always* a tiny fraction of the first week sales, so a show in its first week is going to beat most second week sales unless its a total flop. A show with sales like Kuragehime wouldn't rank at all in its first week unless it released in the middle of the month when nothing else is being released.

The fact is, each Madoka Magica volume in its first week sold more than twice as much as a volume of Tiger and Bunny sold and something like sixty to seventy times what Kuragehime sold. If Kuragehime happened to have better sales on its first week when a volume of Madoka Magica was on its fourth or fifth week, that does not in any way suggest it did better than Madoka Magica.

The sales numbers prove that Madoka Magica is the third best selling show of the past decade, while Tiger and Bunny was a very good seller but not remotely close to Madoka Magica and Kuragehime was a total sales bomb. There was nothing to make the numbers and unfair comparison.

he only things that would do that is if the first volume was much cheaper than the rest AND came with the opening theme CD resulting in the first volume sales being inflated by people who just want the CD (such as both seasons of Working) or if there is a version bundled with a game, as the sales numbers or reported as games and its usually the only way to get the game, so people (again) aren't buying it just for the anime. But this is very rare and I'm only aware of this happening with two TV series, Idolm@ster and the more recent Super Robot Wars anime, and the latter hasn't even actually been released yet.

Quote:
[Tiger & Bunny and Kuragehime] didn't have gimmicky LEs to artificially inflate company earnings like Madoka. Nor does it prove that the show is more popular in the sense that it would have done well, if sold as a bare-bones item.

Actually, yes they did. Both Tiger & Bunny and Kuragehime had LE versions. Almost every release in Japan has an LE version and that's pretty much the only one that people buy.

Madoka's release was pretty standard, there wasn't anything unusual about the extras in them. They only came with a booklet and a CD. Pretty much every single anime release comes with a booklet of some sort, though some are nicer than others. Madoka Magica's are average. Postcards are the most common extra and Madoka Magica does NOT have them. It's only real physical extra is the CDs (3 OST, 3 drama) which is nothing unusual, particularly for Aniplex releases. It doesn't have any unusual or noteworthy on-disc extras, just a clean ED (or maybe it was the OP) and a commentary track, which is also very common.

Tiger and Bunny's extras were basically the same as Madoka Magica's and Kuragehime.... oh wow, this is hilarious. If any of those three shows were going to be "inflated" by "gimmicky" extras, it would be Kuragehime. The first volume came with a talking Kurara mascot, an "unaired" episode (which I assume is just an animated omake video but that's still more than Madoka Magica had), and what looks like a video extra with two of the seiyuu (again, Madoka Magica didn't have that). Yet it sold 1k to Madoka Magica's ~70k.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:27 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Ingraman:
Quote:
I've already stated that discs can be ripped and re-encoded, but that's not changing the manufactured disc, that's making a changed duplicate (and that's a silly term, isn't it?).

So you're saying a company which set the standards for replicating the discs can't reverse engineer them?
There's no point in 'reverse engineering' discs when you have the masters. Not to mention the fact that the data layer is protected by the hard coating, so you're looking at undoing that at a minimum.
Quote:
Quote:
They don't seem to have overproduced the Kara no Kyoukai sets since neither HMV, CDJapan, nor Amazon have copies left to sell.

But they're still streaming it, which probably means they lost money on the cost of producing it.
Non sequitor. There's no reason to stop streaming unless it's losing you money or you've lost the license.
Quote:
Quote:

You're gonna pay for maintenance, materials, and wages, anyway. Not sure why you wanna pay double for the first two, though.
You seem to have a very hard time understanding basic accounting. Sony isn't "paying double" by having one subsidiary charging another for a product; it's merely debiting one of its accounts and crediting another(to vastly over simplify things). That sort of information is vital for any company to be able to make rational business calculations.
Quote:
AncientOne:
Quote:

I see. The more you know...

Quote:
Even if it were possible to do so, it makes no economic sense. The actual cost per disc is small.

Think about this for a moment: to make 10,000 LE packages with new discs is a mostly automated process with the vast majority of the labor involved only in setting everything up. To get the discs out of the packages isn't even remotely automated, requiring significant labor throughout the process. Even assuming that the marginal costs of repressing a disc is substantially less than the marginal cost of pressing fresh ones(which is just a few cents at most), the unit cost is going to be astronomical because of all the extra labor required to get the discs(and remember most of the nonmarginal costs of pressing a disc are in preparing the master, which you'd incur with recycled discs as well). Simply put, even assuming what you claim is possible, it's not practical. Frisbees really aren't nearly as expensive as you seem to think.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:21 am Reply with quote
Forgot to complete one of my previous sentences. It did alright, but
you're just assuming that the earlier KnK DVDs did just as well. Though, if it were really that popular, one would argue that the last volume did significantly better than the prior ones, rather than just above average.

Hitokiri:
Quote:
And averaging multiple weeks of a single volume is pointless and does not give you anything remotely useful.

Well, that's how they estimate final figures.

Quote:
They only had higher weekly ranks if their first week of release was after the first week of a Madoka release

Well, they also had higher ranks over non-LE editions of Madoka.

Quote:
Tiger and Bunny's first week sales beating Madoka's second or third week sales does not mean Tiger and Bunny sold more than Madoka Magica.

No, but it does mean they got rid of more inventory, and didn't have to repackage it as an LE to offload unsold discs.

Quote:
If Kuragehime happened to have better sales on its first week when a volume of Madoka Magica was on its fourth or fifth week, that does not in any way suggest it did better than Madoka Magica.

It probably did better with casual buyers than Madoka.

Quote:
The sales numbers prove that Madoka Magica is the third best selling show of the past decade,

Except it made its debut this decade.

Quote:
while Tiger and Bunny was a very good seller but not remotely close to Madoka Magica and Kuragehime was a total sales bomb.

Perhaps, but it did boost interest in the original manga, and its sales rank. Madoka bombed as a manga, though. So, again which series is more popular, and not just doing well because the discs are overpriced?

Quote:
Both Tiger & Bunny and Kuragehime had LE versions. Almost every release in Japan has an LE version and that's pretty much the only one that people buy.

Still doesn't prove that Madoka would have done the same if there wasn't an LE version of it.

Quote:
Madoka's release was pretty standard, there wasn't anything unusual about the extras in them. They only came with a booklet and a CD. Pretty much every single anime release comes with a booklet of some sort, though some are nicer than others. Madoka Magica's are average.

Again, you're just supporting my argument. They charged more for LEs than you'd normally get with an LE, just to boost sales.

Quote:
If any of those three shows were going to be "inflated" by "gimmicky" extras, it would be Kuragehime. The first volume came with a talking Kurara mascot, an "unaired" episode (which I assume is just an animated omake video but that's still more than Madoka Magica had), and what looks like a video extra with two of the seiyuu (again, Madoka Magica didn't have that). Yet it sold 1k to Madoka Magica's ~70k.

By "gimmicky", I mean when you pad a product with extras you can neither use nor enjoy, just so you can defend a price-gouging. If people wanted the Madoka music, they could have gotten it without owning the LE.

Polycell:
Quote:
There's no point in 'reverse engineering' discs when you have the masters.

There is if you have unsold discs.

Quote:
Not to mention the fact that the data layer is protected by the hard coating, so you're looking at undoing that at a minimum.

Well, if they have patches for glitches, then it doesn't sound that tough.

Quote:
Non sequitor. There's no reason to stop streaming unless it's losing you money or you've lost the license.

If you're selling content on a closed network, then you're not going to make much money off of it, anyway. Especially when you no longer have boxsets worth selling.

Quote:
Sony isn't "paying double" by having one subsidiary charging another for a product; it's merely debiting one of its accounts and crediting another(to vastly over simplify things).

But that just means one of its other accounts already lost money that way.

Quote:
Think about this for a moment: to make 10,000 LE packages with new discs is a mostly automated process with the vast majority of the labor involved only in setting everything up.

Well, you also have to pay the vendor for storage, because they're not going to have that shit rot in their warehouses for free.

Quote:
Even assuming that the marginal costs of repressing a disc is substantially less than the marginal cost of pressing fresh ones(which is just a few cents at most),

Again, I told you it's not the discs, it's the packaging.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:38 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Ingraman:
Quote:

They wouldn't have to reverse engineer them as they already know how they are engineered. That, however, would not help them alter them. Knowing how something is engineered would not permit a company to violate the laws of physics.

Instead of harboring a "belief" that this can be done but with no real concept of how, why no educate yourself on how commercial DVD and BD media is created, and in the process you will learn why they cannot be altered.

GATSU wrote:
AncientOne:
Quote:

How would altering the discs help with packaging and shipping costs?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10