• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Spring Season 2009 -- what are you excited for?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Westlo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:53 am Reply with quote
Spice and Wolf II is starting up in Summer (which actually looks really strong for a minor season and more stuff will be added to Summer..), you're just getting an OVA this season.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:12 am Reply with quote
There is a lot of stuff that I'm interested in this season, but I doubt I'll watch all of it. FMA: Brotherhood (it that what it's being called?) I'm totally interested in, as well as Spice and Wolf: Amber Melancholy. Some shows that I'll try at least are Shanri-La, K-ON!, Pandora Hearts, and 07- Ghost.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:39 am Reply with quote
Westlo's right. Spice and Wolf II's not set to air until July. Only a prequel OAV release is supposed to be scheduled for it this spring.

As for this season, seems Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom is the only title that has my interest for this spring. The past couple years of anime offerings for me to enjoy have been rather low. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:12 am Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
Spice and Wolf II is starting up in Summer (which actually looks really strong for a minor season and more stuff will be added to Summer..), you're just getting an OVA this season.

What the hell? Ugh, I was misled.

Emerje wrote:
Denpa teki na Kanojo - From the creator of Kure-nai, that's really all I need to hear.

Okay, that just about makes up for the delay in Spice & Wolf. When you say creator, do you mean writer/director? Because that director [Kou Matsuo] also did Red Garden, which I'm also an obvious fan of.

Also, on a side note, why is loli listed as one of the themes of Kure-nai?? Yuck.
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:44 am Reply with quote
Metal Fight Beyblade: Revival of the thing that rocked my childhood. Hell yes. Will wait for the YTV or Teletoon broadcast, since it seems it has already been picked up by Nelvana.

DragonBall Kai: Will wait for either the FUNimation or Toei USA license. Until then I've got Toriyama's manga to read.

Fullmetal Alchemist 2.0: Will wait for FUNimation license.

Gintama Season 3: Will watch on CR eventually.

Bakugan Battle Brawlers - New Vestroia: For the shits and giggles. Will wait for the Teletoon broadcast which is bound to happen in like two months.
Ikari1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And who isn't going to be watching the FMA reboot?

Me

I think it is a shameless attempt to cash in on the massive fanbase. The origional was fantastic and didn't need redoing so why the hell have they decided to remake it. Whats the point ?

The reason I cant fully condenm this is because after watching the 2006 version of Kanon, I know which one is the better version and think it was changed considerably enough to make it worth it. The problem I have with FMA reeboot is that I see nothing massivly wrong with the story and animation in the old series. i cant see how they are going to improve upon it enough to make it worth it. It feels like a cop out.
Westlo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:02 pm Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:
Okay, that just about makes up for the delay in Spice & Wolf. When you say creator, do you mean writer/director? Because that director [Kou Matsuo] also did Red Garden, which I'm also an obvious fan of.

The Denpa Teki na Kanojo light novels are set in the same universe as Kure-nai and is written by the same author as the Kure-nai light novels.

Ikari1 wrote:
The reason I can't fully condenm this is because after watching the 2006 version of Kanon, I know which one is the better version and think it was changed considerably enough to make it worth it. The problem I have with FMA reeboot is that I see nothing massivly wrong with the story and animation in the old series.

Uh... there is massive differences to the FMA manga and the Bones anime... actual changes in character personalities and roles in the show as compared to Kanon 2006's expanding of the previous Kanon series. For starters Dante doesn't even exist in the manga and considering her role in the first series as the big villain that should clue anyone that there is big differences...
Ikari1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Uh... there is massive differences to the FMA manga and the Bones anime

I know this having read some of the manga myself. Isnt the story pretty much the same up to a certain point in the manga though? I might have been informed wrong but Im worried that aside from the new material there is going to be wasted episodes going over stuff we already know and have seen.
illustrata

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Definitely looking forward for:

Higashi no Eden - Watching this for Kamiyama and Prodiction I.G., of course. Seeing the Umino Chica's character design is a big plus!

Aoi Hana - I absolutely love the manga, so the anime is a must watch as well. Hope the anime staff give it justice.

Ristorante Paradiso - I don't really have much info on what the series will be all about, but being in the NOISE timeslot (replacing Michiko to Hatchin) interests me.

Valkyria Chronicles - I've heard a lot of praise for the game (which I haven't played yet *sad*) so the anime would have to do for now.

Shangri-la - The premise sound interesting although the involvement of Gonzo also makes me a tad wary.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Doing a quick glance over the titles, nothing really grabs my attention except for:

FMA: Loved the anime, loved the manga. Looking forward to the reboot to see the manga story in action.

Ristorante Paradiso: I'm a sucker for anything food related. Also this looks different, and set for maybe an older crowd, which I'm all for.

Shangri-La: Nothing to say about this other than it possibly has potential?

I don't like downloading tons of series, and I usually drop everything but one or two shows anyway out of boredom and lack of time, so this will probably be it, unless something surprising comes up (a la Toradora).
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Ikari1 wrote:
Quote:
And who isn't going to be watching the FMA reboot?

Me

I think it is a shameless attempt to cash in on the massive fanbase. The origional was fantastic and didn't need redoing so why the hell have they decided to remake it. Whats the point ?

The reason I can't fully condenm this is because after watching the 2006 version of Kanon, I know which one is the better version and think it was changed considerably enough to make it worth it.

I pretty much agree with you, and nothing anyone says about artistic license and "new perspectives" or sticking closer to the source material or whatever is going to change my mind. Sure, the manga may be great, but the TV series is one of the best out there. Did people really watch the TV series and go, "What? They ruined the story! It's awful!" Redoing it frustrates me; I find it incredibly wimpy when a writer provides some kind of alternate ending, and this is exactly what that feels like. Seriously, not every single show ever done has to be cannon, especially if the show improves on the original material.

That doesn't mean I'm not curious, however Laughing. Maybe I'll try treating it like it's a different series.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Actually, there were folks who thought they ruined Fullmetal Alchemist with the first series. Strangely, however, most of them seem to have been people who read the manga after they saw the anime. I'd suggest that they don't really hate the anime as much as they claim, they merely prefer the manga. But you know, on the internet if something isn't the best thing ever, it must be the worst thing ever, with no middling feelings.

Personally, though, I like both the first series and the manga equally, but I'm still looking forward to the new series. True, perhaps Bones could be doing more original projects, but now that they've already come out with this, I'm not just going to ignore it. You do yourself a disservice to only watch the first series.

More FMA can't be bad, can it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Westlo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:35 am Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:
Did people really watch the TV series and go, "What? They ruined the story! It's awful!"

Yep a lot of people did...

Quote:
Redoing it frustrates me; I find it incredibly wimpy when a writer provides some kind of alternate ending, and this is exactly what that feels like.

Well to manga fans the tv series is the alternate ending... and I need not remind you that manga is vastly more popular in Japan than anime.. the first FMA tv series sold around 40 thousand per volume (which is very, very high for anime btw)... I think the latest FMA Manga volume sold over 1 million...

Quote:
Seriously, not every single show ever done has to be cannon, especially if the show improves on the original material.

But you don't know if the show improves on the original material...
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
Quote:
Seriously, not every single show ever done has to be cannon, especially if the show improves on the original material.

But you don't know if the show improves on the original material...

It does, though, especially in the early episodes. The early chapters of the manga muddle through the motions of the plot without creating the same level of depth to the characters. The anime makes you care enough about the people that certain scenes (the ones in the Trying Not To Cry thread) affect you, while the manga doesn't hit quite so hard.
Ikari1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Well to manga fans the tv series is the alternate ending... and I need not remind you that manga is vastly more popular in Japan than anime.. the first FMA tv series sold around 40 thousand per volume (which is very, very high for anime btw)... I think the latest FMA Manga volume sold over 1 million...

This still doesnt change the fact that it feels like they have taken the easy option by not bothering to think up new material. Of course like you said the manga may be more popular but it is convienient that this will stand to make them alot of money for not as much effort as it would take to think up new material to follow on from the origional anime series. This is also the first time I have heard of any great dislike of the anime series vs the manga. Considering the amount of interest that there has been in the new anime before people knew that it would be a re imaging, I doubt that the anime was considered such an evil representation of the story. On it's own it is an excellent story.

Quote:

Redoing it frustrates me; I find it incredibly wimpy when a writer provides some kind of alternate ending

Well yeah thats my problem. I seriously doubt that they arn't playing upon the origional popularity of the origional series to reel people in and use an alternative ending as the 'bait'. Of course I will watch it and as always I will try and judge it based as a separate series but I just get the impression that this is a money maker more than anything else. It is dissapointing to not see some kind of proper ending to the origional series. I dont know about the japanese fans or the other fans but I for one wanted some kind of proper closure to the anime series and the end of Conqueror of shamballa kind of suggested that we would see more of Ed and Al in that universe. Also people that have already read the manga, will know what will have happened and so that element of excitement via what could have been a new plot will be lost to them in many ways.

Having said this, i will probably watch it anyway, albeit with a great level of sceptism but I will watch it eventually. If the first episode in anyway recycles stuff I've already seen then I will be dissapointed. I might as well ignore the first half of the series and watch the bits that are actually new.

Out of interest how many episodes are we looking at in this series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5