• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Lost Mission

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:16 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
They started to become Sankaku-Lite when Biglobe polls started appearing every other day

Just type animenewsnetwork.com/news and boom, you have just the news.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:17 pm Reply with quote
[quote="RyanSaotome"]
belvadeer wrote:
Shining Force Feather: Artbooks are always nice, as I have them for some properties that never got English releases, but it's sad whenever I see Shining-related items. It just reminds me that the series died here years ago and won't be getting any localizations ever again.

>That feel when we'll never get Shining Force 4

I really wish they'd just forget about all of those bland action RPGs and go back to what made the Shining series so good in the first place... the strategy RPG gameplay.

SRPGs are one of my fave genres, but we seriously need one with a strong multiplayer component.

Strategizing against a human is so much more satisfying than against the AI.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
We've removed the straight-up jump feature, so you can't just jump anywhere at any time. We've kept the grappling hook, which is a franchise hallmark. In the single-player mode it's going to be used as a traversal mechanic.

That's tragic. I despise it when games make it so you can't jump at will. I remember Rogue Spear did this back in "the day", including some "justifying" BS that Rogue Spear operators don't jump as they don't believe in executing any uncontrolled movement, which a jump is classified as being. I've heard the same thing about running with the ball in the NFL, but even if it is justified, it makes for frustrating game play. Even the NFLers know that jumping is fun, with all the somersaults into the endzone and all Rolling Eyes Wink

Especially if Lost Planet 3 pulls a Project Eden and creates areas that could be easily solved/bypassed if only your character could jump over the 1 foot crevice separating him from the next area. That was developer trolling if there ever was. thanks Core.

This sounds like they're going to make the grappling hook into a widget that can only be used at certain, obvious, points in the game. Like Metroid Prime or Tomb Raider. Those were still fun, but to me, the ability to grapple almost everything, even if it wasn't effective, made the game. Though if they make the grapple like those games, it would be too easy for them to "troll" us with areas that could be bypassed if only we could grapple or jump at will, making me fear that I'll relive the aforementioned Project Eden level design fail.

Quote:
With the first-person view, it's melee combat.

I don't see this going well at all. Call me a pessimist, but Borderlands is the only game I've played with decent first-person melee combat I've played.

I don't like how they're ignoring coop. Ever since I've gotten a taste of coop, normal "team deathmatch" multiplayer alone doesn't come close to cutting it for me.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:48 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[]

Is anyone else dismayed (but not surprised) at how & where the tail of this female catgirl emerges from her clothing?

Who does that pander to? It's so foreign to me that I just can't wrap my mind around anyone finding catgirls who look as though they have (vaguely phallic) tails exploding out of their, ahem, "lady parts" enticing. Ew. Just ew.

(BTW, the IMG and SPOILER tags don't work together on this forum. Just noticed that.).
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:24 am Reply with quote
Regarding the shining series, I loved Tears, and would like to see a direct sequel, that does not have wind in the title and ignores both the Wind game and anime. I like all types of rpgs so I dont mind if a game is action or strategy or turn based, as long as Tony Taka is doing the character design.

There are enough games still coming out for the psp leaving me wondering why its always called a dead system. Gungnir, Growlanser both just came out this year.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:52 am Reply with quote
Huh, somebody else who watches Ice Road Truckers............
The Lost Prophet

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:56 pm Reply with quote
I wish developers would go back to turn based rpgs. If you want new players, just put in spectacular abilities, believe me, people can't get enough of that. I hate casting ruin... then casting firaga, and it's all just a series of pathetic magical bawls Rolling Eyes. FFXIII2 had puzzles, but they need a clear goal other than: 'wow, we're in time vortex, here's some random puzzles bro'.

I know Square has new developers and we should probably give them a break, but their ideas are kind of awful/gimmicky. They are also clearly trying to appeal to the american audience, I say let the developers make what they want and get the money grabbers off their case.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:54 pm Reply with quote
The Lost Prophet wrote:
I wish developers would go back to turn based rpgs. If you want new players, just put in spectacular abilities, believe me, people can't get enough of that. I hate casting ruin... then casting firaga, and it's all just a series of pathetic magical bawls Rolling Eyes. FFXIII2 had puzzles, but they need a clear goal other than: 'wow, we're in time vortex, here's some random puzzles bro'.

I know Square has new developers and we should probably give them a break, but their ideas are kind of awful/gimmicky. They are also clearly trying to appeal to the american audience, I say let the developers make what they want and get the money grabbers off their case.

Turn based RPGs were more a limitation of the technology rather than what people actually wanted to play. Which is why you don't see many still being made today.

And you think the more action-oriented combat isn't trying to attract a more western audience? Look at the top selling western RPGs, none of them have turn based combat. All of them have real time combat where you are given direct control of the characters you play.

Honestly I think this is a huge improvement over the gameplay elements they've used before, and it finally seems like Squeenix is moving into the 21st century with it's game design.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I would have to agree with preferring turn based rpgs. Its just more fun... theres a strategy element instead of just mindlessly attacking, and you can show off cooler spells and summons with it. Like I'm a huge FF fan but I've never been able to really get into the Kingdom Hearts games because of the action gameplay. If it was turn based, I'd be all over it. I'm not a fan of action/fast paced games in general however, so I can understand many people probably prefer them.

Fortunately for me, theres no real shortage of them... The majority of the otaku aimed JRPGs out there (Agarest War, Neptunia, Atelier, Mugen Souls etc) still go turn based, so thats enough for me.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Sadly they're coming over to the US less and less, and being more and more censored. After Mugen Souls, future Neptuina games are probably going to be put on the chopping block. Japanese game fans got it rough this generation.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Calm yo' tits, son, Neptunia's gonna be just fine. MK2 showed that NISA is willing to go for an M rating.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:21 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
I would have to agree with preferring turn based rpgs. Its just more fun... theres a strategy element instead of just mindlessly attacking, .

That's a pretty big generalization there. I wouldn't say that there's more strategy in turn based RPGs than non-turn based ones.

Out of curiosity have you tried a game like Dragon Age: Origins? which has real time combat, but let's you pause the game to issue commands. It also has the programmable AI party members, similar to the method used in Final Fantasy XII. The combat is still in real time, and it allows you to order characters into position and for the casting of a pretty diverse set of spells.
superdry

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:40 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:

Turn based RPGs were more a limitation of the technology rather than what people actually wanted to play. Which is why you don't see many still being made today.

I would say turn based combat was more taken from old paper and pencil RPGs.

As an old-school RPG fan, I appreciate turn-based combat more unless the real-time combat system has you only controlling one person (solo games or something like the Tales combat system) or has a pause option to issue commands or use items (like Baldur's Gate).
Animehermit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:47 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
animehermit wrote:

I would say turn based combat was more taken from old paper and pencil RPGs.

As an old-school RPG fan, I appreciate turn-based combat more unless the real-time combat system has you only controlling one person (solo games or something like the Tales combat system) or has a pause option to issue commands or use items (like Baldur's Gate).

The big difference is that turn based works on in a tabletop medium, it's not as involving in a video game (on top of this, tabletop roleplaying often has other people to help randomize the experience while traditional turn based RPGs don't offer multiplayer).

Over time developers have adapted tabletop mechanics to the video game medium, which is why you see a lot more hybrid games coming out. I mean, games like Blacklight: Retribution probably have more RPG mechanics than even Final Fantasy XIII.
Kakugo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Is anyone else dismayed (but not surprised) at how & where the tail of this female catgirl emerges from her clothing?

...did I miss sarcasm here, or do you actually think it looks like a hairy femdong?

It's hanging straight down from her spine, and is sticking out the back of her pants. With her legs open it... happens to line up with her genitals. Because, y'know, that's just what tails do on most mammals - cover the anus and female genitals when they're walking on four legs. Most artists tend to draw them off to the side because people project their own perversions on to them otherwise... Wink

...it makes me a bit sad that I'm excited for more Metal Gear Anything. This must be that mix of tingling joy and dark shame people feel when willingly subjecting themselves to reality TV shows.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3