• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Does anime have an influence on your personal character?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:06 am Reply with quote
Well, EVERYTHING pretty much has some sort of influence on personal character. So yeah, you pick the shows to watch, then it comes back at you a bit. What most people here (at least, the OP and a few posts after) talked about is short-term influence though, like being inspired to make dinner or join a club. How long will that last though? I found that the short-term influence is strongest if you only watch one show at a time, and tends to disperse extremely quickly afterwards, particularly if you start a different show.

As for long-term influences on character, well, I'm no psychologist or antropologist to make that kind of study, but I sure hope to see sth like that done (hopefully NOT along the lines of "violence in movies equals people violent IRL").
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:26 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Another influence would be the way I started thinking in japanese and the way I've come to like 2-d girls more than real life girls.

An appreciation of anime isn't always required to develop a 2D complex. It can certainly help, but in many cases all that is required is an... introduction to some relevant material. The rest is simply a case of whether or not one nurtures one's initial interest.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:16 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Another influence would be the way I started thinking in japanese and the way I've come to like 2-d girls more than real life girls.
But this is clearly a secret between me and you!

Ok after stewing on it for a bit I just have to ask you something. I'm being serious btw and not just facetious or sarcastic. How do you start "thinking in Japanese" prey tell? I mean what do you actually mean by this? I also hope the liking 2-d girls over real ones is a joke....
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Ok after stewing on it for a bit I just have to ask you something. I'm being serious btw and not just facetious or sarcastic. How do you start "thinking in Japanese" prey tell? I mean what do you actually mean by this? I also hope the liking 2-d girls over real ones is a joke....

Ok let's go over this then.
Quote:
I started thinking in japanese.
When you think, you probably think in english, that's, if it's your primary language. Now what I meant by saying that is, even though it's not everytime, when I think simple things such as "I see" or "ok" they come in japanese. That's probably normal since I've seen lots and lots of animes and I really don't like dubs.

Now about the 2-d girls over real ones.
Not a joke. I really meant that. But don't missunderstand me, I never said I don't like real girls as well. And what I meant by liking 2-d girls, even though they have fake personalities I still prefer that personality over a real one. So it's about the personality, not the whole thing.
ClocktowerKyon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Death Note made me reconstruct my morals; Haruhi Suzumiya made me think about all the explantions of the universe; Higurashi allowed me to think of different ways to acheive the same goal; Paranoia Agent made me think about the human psyche.

So, yeah, I guess.
The Third Doctor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:31 pm Reply with quote
I can think of certain situations tha have made me think of anime. The overall effect on my character isn't proven.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:53 pm Reply with quote
ClocktowerKyon wrote:
Death Note made me reconstruct my morals

Hopefully, by studying the bad examples set therein and learning from them how not to behave.

ClocktowerKyon wrote:
Haruhi Suzumiya made me think about all the explantions of the universe

Hopefully, by reading up on some real science instead of Haruhi-worship.

ClocktowerKyon wrote:
Higurashi allowed me to think of different ways to acheive the same goal

Hopefully not in the form of "How to make money and win influence through wholesale slaughter."

ClocktowerKyon wrote:
Paranoia Agent made me think about the human psyche.

Hopefully, again, by studying the multiple collapsed psyches shown therein.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
grave_digger18

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:13 am Reply with quote
Watching shounen/fighting anime has a "rocky" like effect on me in the sense that it pumps me up to go to my Bujinkan (ninjutsu) classes. It's effective because after a long day of classes I just want to slack off and crash.

Also, fantasy anime, like fantasy books, remind me to get out of the city and enjoy the great outdoors.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:04 am Reply with quote
Well I would say that it has made me more open minded, I have got some interestsing look into other's culture. I think I have gained a more exotic sense of humor, where I can get jokes that are done in different styles and not just slapstick and makeing fun of stereotypes. I have looked at a few things differently now, such as after seeing Chobits I think of the topic of robots and the like differently.

I also have a tendency to say things I have picked up from anime, like saying "sata andagi" from Azumanga Daioh for no reason. Pulling an I am in Desspair from SZS, saying uguu~, auu and gao from kanon and Air and since I just started watching it, I have been saying a few of the lines from Gurren Lagann.
nagato316

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:17 am Reply with quote
Really, the most influence anime as a medium has on my personal character would be peaking my curiosity about things to the point of actually doing "research" on said things. But only certain anime series will actually spark my curiosity to that extent. For example...

abunai wrote:

ClocktowerKyon wrote:
Haruhi Suzumiya made me think about all the explanations of the universe

Hopefully, by reading up on some real science instead of Haruhi-worship.

I did in fact check out a cosmology book from the library to learn more about that confounded "anthropological" or "human" principle regarding the universe's creation that Itsuki mentioned in TMoHS part V. I never heard of this theory until watching TMoHS...see, kids, who said you can't learn anything from anime?

Years prior to that, when I was still attending college, I went to a teacher whose specialty was Comparative Religion, or something like that, to ask about the Kabbalah and the Tree of Life, even though I never officially took any classes of hers, because wouldn't you know it, I was watching Evangelion at the time. FWIW, no it didn't really help me understand EVA any better.

To a lesser extent, I suppose I could say Gankutsuou had that same effect as well...I never had to read the Count of Monte Cristo in school, and I'm making up for that now (simply because the re-visioned story was so awesome I had to check out the original). Needless to say, I'm totally digging Dumas' masterpiece.

Other than that, as I briefly mentioned in a previous thread, the most curiosity an anime will usually get out of me is of a culinary nature. Hell, having seen Endless Eight the past two months, I'm really dying to try takoyaki (that's the balled up fried octopus, as opposed to the bean-paste _taiyaki_ pastry, right? I sometimes get the two confused).
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:08 pm Reply with quote
nagato316 wrote:
I did in fact check out a cosmology book from the library to learn more about that confounded "anthropological" or "human" principle regarding the universe's creation that Itsuki mentioned in TMoHS part V. I never heard of this theory until watching TMoHS...see, kids, who said you can't learn anything from anime?

The anthropic principle, yes (from the Greek word for Mankind). It really isn't very complicated -- though it can be hard to express in simple terms. Worse, there are several "flavours" of the principle, depending on the need for the person arguing to sustain the illusion that his life has a specific meaning in the universe beyond the realm of chance. So people are not always talking about the same concept, when they discuss the anthropic principle.

nagato316 wrote:
Years prior to that, when I was still attending college, I went to a teacher whose specialty was Comparative Religion, or something like that, to ask about the Kabbalah and the Tree of Life, even though I never officially took any classes of hers, because wouldn't you know it, I was watching Evangelion at the time. FWIW, no it didn't really help me understand EVA any better.

I would be surprised if it did, since the use of Judeo-Christian terminology in that series is completely BS. Anno was just using Western phrases for their exotic value, without a clue as to what he was doing.

People do this all the time -- using symbols and words out of context. I understand it is called "art". Not always the word I would apply, but there you go.

nagato316 wrote:
To a lesser extent, I suppose I could say Gankutsuou had that same effect as well...I never had to read the Count of Monte Cristo in school, and I'm making up for that now (simply because the re-visioned story was so awesome I had to check out the original). Needless to say, I'm totally digging Dumas' masterpiece.

Good for you. I grew up on the classics, and I find it most distressing that so many young people today not only haven't read them -- they often don't even know they exist.

nagato316 wrote:
Other than that, as I briefly mentioned in a previous thread, the most curiosity an anime will usually get out of me is of a culinary nature. Hell, having seen Endless Eight the past two months, I'm really dying to try takoyaki (that's the balled up fried octopus, as opposed to the bean-paste _taiyaki_ pastry, right? I sometimes get the two confused).

That's right, takoyaki are octopus dumplings -- and I personally find them delicious. Taiyaki, on the other hand, like most Japanese sweets, are way too sweet. Even when you drink bitter green tea with them, they're no favourite of mine.

YMMV, of course.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Helga89

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Yes, it does... At least I think so... IDK how to explain that but I've taken a lot of habits from anime characters... Cool
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Helga89 wrote:
Yes, it does... At least I think so... IDK how to explain that but I've taken a lot of habits from anime characters... Cool

*gentle nudge*

Such as? Don't keep us hanging, here. We'd like a more concrete response than this.

- abunai
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Helga89 wrote:

Since you didn't tell us what, I'd say one of them is secret keeping.
dayjobdeluxe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:56 pm Reply with quote
I watched Trigun, and it gave me a reinforcement on what I considered morally right and wrong.

Clannad After Story just broke my heart and gave me a better appreciation for the family I have.

And when I was in high school senior year, soon heading to college and thought I was the only guy who did not have his crap together and not knowing what to do with his life (still don't), I met Kyon in TMoHS and thought to myself, if he is so relaxed why aren't I? Although I knew he was fictional, I took that attitude to heart.

Even though this next one is a bit more short-term, Bakemonogatari is starting to change what I consider an "interesting" conversation, but it may go away as the season closes.

But anyway, that is just me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3