• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf Licenses Princess Knight Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OtakuKitten

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:36 pm Reply with quote
brand wrote:
I wonder where that Princess Knight guy from ANNcast (from like 2 or 3 years ago) is now?

It would be awesome if his question on ANN cast helped to fuel these licenses.
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:40 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
You would think all of the telecines for Dr. Tezuka's productions would be put in cold storage somewhere for archival purposes.

Or were the telecines subject to the same junking policies just like BBC and Dr. Who?

In the mid 1970s, the original Mushi Production company went bankrupt, and there was no money to return anything back to Japan. There were also disputes as to who owned what after a liquidator sold off many of the old materials and intellectual property. A great many of the materials were junked. We were truly fortunate to be able to acquire over time some sort of materials from all 104 of the original Astro Boy episodes and 52 Kimba episodes, and from that even we had to do a great deal of salvage work piecing together video and audio footage from multiple sources to make a usable product.

I'm still looking for episodes of The Amazing Three, another great Tezuka classic that was dubbed into English in the 60s, in case anyone out there has some stored in their closet.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:
So now Right Stuf/Nozomi has Utena, Versailles AND Princess Knight? Talk about your holy trinity!

Wouldn't it be cool to see Utena ,Lady Oscar, and Sapphire in a sword-fight? Very Happy

I knew Nozomi would get another Tezuka title so I wasn't completely caught off-guard.
Too bad this is the edited version. The original series came out in 1960? 1970s? so I'm sure content from that time are bound to be lost/misplaced/mishandled. (*glares at Wonder Three*)

But I'm still glad they have another Shoujo classic.
nursemcquade

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:56 pm Reply with quote
shawnek wrote:

The title, when dubbed into Italian, didn't make the same cuts that the English version did when it was made in the late 1960s. The English audio will not overlay directly to the Japanese video due to significant cuts made by broadcasts and standards at the TV studios of the time for violence and other reasons.

Putting a license to get this title back into circulation, and including the original dub, has been a project I've been working on all the way back to the mid 1990s. There have been a very large number of hurdles to jump over.

I'm confused. There is Japanese audio/video available but the cut English version is being used because that is the only way the English dub can be used?

For what it's worth I would rather have uncut sub only if it were available. I'm sure many of those who follow Tezuka closely (and would likely buy this) feel the same.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:01 pm Reply with quote
nursemcquade wrote:
shawnek wrote:

The title, when dubbed into Italian, didn't make the same cuts that the English version did when it was made in the late 1960s. The English audio will not overlay directly to the Japanese video due to significant cuts made by broadcasts and standards at the TV studios of the time for violence and other reasons.

Putting a license to get this title back into circulation, and including the original dub, has been a project I've been working on all the way back to the mid 1990s. There have been a very large number of hurdles to jump over.

I'm confused. There is Japanese audio/video available but the cut English version is being used because that is the only way the English dub can be used?

For what it's worth I would rather have uncut sub only if it were available. I'm sure many of those who follow Tezuka closely (and would likely buy this) feel the same.

I certainly do, if they could include Japanese and English versions that's great for people who want the dub but if including the English version means not getting the Japanese version then the English version shouldn't be included. I don't want a nostalgic product, I want a good one.
Ichigo069

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:11 pm Reply with quote
nursemcquade wrote:
shawnek wrote:

I as well... I actually wouldn't mind paying even a bit more for more DVDs if that were an option. have one set be the ENG/SPN dub and another set be the JPN dub. shawnek, is there any way to comment on this or are you guys still trying to do something behind the scenes and can't announce anything, yet?
Comsr

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:14 pm Reply with quote
nursemcquade wrote:
shawnek wrote:
The title, when dubbed into Italian, didn't make the same cuts that the English version did when it was made in the late 1960s. The English audio will not overlay directly to the Japanese video due to significant cuts made by broadcasts and standards at the TV studios of the time for violence and other reasons.Putting a license to get this title back into circulation, and including the original dub, has been a project I've been working on all the way back to the mid 1990s. There have been a very large number of hurdles to jump over.
I like the way Discotek is handling the Samurai Pizza Cats release. Dual set with edited US version and the original version.
If that kind of release is unfeasable, then I'd suggest including select uncut episodes as a bonus feature. Didn't RightStuf's Astro Boy box set do this?

Last edited by Comsr on Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:19 pm; edited 3 times in total
EpicLotus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:14 pm Reply with quote
I'll likely support this release, but I'm also with those that don't understand the preference for the cut English dubs over a sub-only release. I didn't understand it for Astro Boy or Kimba, either. I realize there's probably a small market that has a nostalgic bent for older Tezuka titles when they were on TV, but I'd be amazed if those are the same people buying DVD sets of them today.

Doesn't it make a bit more sense to cater to the current crowd of folks that are buying retro releases from the likes of Discotek by just putting out an uncut, sub-only set?
nursemcquade

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:22 pm Reply with quote
UtenaAnthy wrote:
I don't want a nostalgic product, I want a good one.

Right. I don't think many people are going to be buying this for nostalgia anyhow. I'd bet many of the people interested in it today never saw it when it was on TV.

I love RightStuff's releases and I love Tezuka. I'm sure they know what they are doing from a business perspective, but this will definitely not be on the top of my list of things to buy anytime soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redlinks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Shame that they can't get the uncut version but still nice that they're bringing it over here.
cat_clan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:49 pm Reply with quote
It's a shame it doesn't have the Japanese track. But I can understand that the US broadcasted version is not the same as the Japanese one. So you can't overlay both tracks correctly, a shame nonetheless. Anyways, I've also the opinion that releasing a dual set or another set with the Japanese track would be way much better. I'm used to getting only nostalgic products here in Mexico, but I always wish I could get them with original audio to tell the truth.
roseversailles

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Wouldn't it be cool to see Utena ,Lady Oscar, and Sapphire in a sword-fight? Very Happy

This. Make this happen right now! Very Happy
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Rightstuff, just, just TAKE MY WALLET! Seriously, these guys are on a roll!!! 2013 is indeed going to be a great year for retro anime!
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:21 pm Reply with quote
So its not this Princess Knight?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Cool license and all, but something like this has extremely narrow appeal, even for people who watch old anime regularly. Like anything else Tezuka, it's definitely riding on the name recognition here than actual knowledge of this particular series itself. So why not grab some of Tezuka's Phoenix movies and OVAs while you're at it?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5