• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Watamote (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:45 am Reply with quote
Freaking hilarious first episode, even as it was a bit cringe-inducing in a couple of places. The lead girl was very refreshing. Will definitely be watching the rest of the show, whilst hoping it doesn't lose its way.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:28 pm Reply with quote
had a huge grin on my face for 23 min.
casualfan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Funny stuff. It's like a high school girl version of 'Welcome to NHK!'.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:22 pm Reply with quote
casualfan wrote:
Funny stuff. It's like a high school girl version of 'Welcome to NHK!'.

There is a bit of a difference.

In Sato's case, his efforts are spent in trying to withdraw from the world.

In Tokomo's case, she is trying to engage with the world. She feels a need for connections she doesn't have.

They are the same in that they are both really, really bad at it.
casualfan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Throughout the series Satou tries to stop his neet lifestyle, too. Before failing miserably then returns to it.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:06 am Reply with quote
Episode 2
I don't think I've ever laughed this much on a Monday for awhile. Oh God, this episode was just absolutely hilarious with spoiler[Tomoko and the way she tries to show her friend Yuu (who happens to change quite a bit) the "accomplishments" she's made.]

5/5. Amazing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bango

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:19 am Reply with quote
I'm laughing over the potential of the BD's considering how an uncensored version would gift you with T&A, but make you pay for it with spoiler[barf.]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:37 am Reply with quote
Well, I was glad to see Tomoko get to experience spoiler[some happiness] this time. I also love her somewhat skewed perspective on the role of female managers of boys sports teams. Laughing
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:03 am Reply with quote
ep.2

spoiler[tomoko listen to ipod story got called from person from middle school to meet in weekend so tomoko going wonder to ready yet she puke her food away.

so at school trying quick lunch yet no body notice her to point she went nurse to nap recover then school over got a baseball give back & seeing couple plan alone together going snark thinking blah to huh.

still wonder to do give trying fantasy think til desk guts ow then had do art with fat guy yet had messed-up wonder on him til art he made art done quick so tomoko just simple draw yet find his "ok".

day arrive tomoko meet person from middle school aka yuu yet she more well done than tomoko yet still ok give coffee, arcade, etc then day over yet tomoko go life my school life is like nobody notice but i will survive.

yet yuu bit understand give reason also meet tomoko cause prob with a guy caused tomoko to ipod listen & back to usual doing.]
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Man this is so depressing to watch Sad. Even when things go right for her like hanging out with an old friend and fattie drawing a good picture of her, it turns out her friend is living the life she wanted and the fattie's picture was just a quick drawing of a useless background character.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:40 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
and the fattie's picture was just a quick drawing of a useless background character.

That bit did make me feel bad for her, especially after how happy it seemed to make her, thinking it was a drawing of her.

It was fun to see that despite her friend's obvious transformation, they still got on well.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:40 pm Reply with quote
The way she makes up dialogue for people around her is just too funny. Anime hyper Talk about Little Miss Snarker! I noticed she seems to have improved on talking to people a little. Those hour-long talks with bro must be paying off.

WhiteHairGirls wrote:
That bit did make me feel bad for her, especially after how happy it seemed to make her, thinking it was a drawing of her.

I feel bad for her too...but at least it's better she didn't find out. Anime hyper
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:08 pm Reply with quote
lol was she using Beats by Dre to listen to her iPod?? Not the first reference I'd expect this anime to make Anime hyper
Dalvyn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Well, so far it seems they aren't going for the soul crushing depression that is the manga. Which is ok. Unless of course they are saving it for later...

spoiler[They probably are.]
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Man, I have to give it to the show as how well it comes together. If anyone hasn't read Zac's review of Watamote I would suggest you do it. The duality of "hate them all but need their approval" is very clear, realistic and entertaining at the same time. In addition to Tomoko's social insecurities her basing her entire world view on dating games is clearly not working out.

Despite all the inherent negativity they way the scenes are executed brings out the comedy more than the sarcasm or Kuroki's depression. I usually do not praise Japanese voice actors but here Izumi Kitta's performance is breathtaking. She brings the life to Kuroki's character like I have not seen in a long time. Her intonations and laughs and, well, just about everything else is simply pitch-perfect. And that is the reason why this show is so hilarious and so good.

Oh and I loved that rape fantasy. Totally did not see it coming.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 23