• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Recommendations for children.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mylene

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Wolverine Princess wrote:
I'd highly recommend Kodocha, a fun, lighthearted romantic comedy. I haven't met a single child who didn't love this series, even kids who don't like anime. It's one of my little sister's (pre-teen age) favorite shows. Although Sana throws around the words "pimp" and "gigolo" when talking about her manager in the earlier episodes, (he really isn't, she just thinks this is an alternative word for boyfriend) you can skip those if you feel they're objectionable because the show recaps itself pretty thoroughly at the start of every episode.

I could be wrong, but I think 'pimp' was cut out of the dub, and she just calls him her agent (thereby losing the joke, but allowing a broader audience for the dub by American standards). I'm getting this from the review of the first DVD on AnimeonDVD, I believe.
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I could be wrong, but I think 'pimp' was cut out of the dub, and she just calls him her agent (thereby losing the joke, but allowing a broader audience for the dub by American standards). I'm getting this from the review of the first DVD on AnimeonDVD, I believe.

Quote:
English dub title of episode #1 is "I'm an Elementary School Student with an Agent" while the sub gives the title as "I'm an Elementary School Student with a Pimp."

In the English dub the exchange between Sana and her hairdresser removes references to the hairdresser being gay and having the hots for Rei-kun. It also removes Sana telling him that Rei-kun is off limits because he is already Sana's boyfriend and pimp. This dialogue is intact in the subtitles.

In the English dub when Sana goes off to bed Sana's invitation to Rei-kun to sleep with her is removed as well as Mama's ominous warning to Rei-kun that he is not permitted anything beyond a kiss on the cheek regarding Sana. Again this dialogue is intact in the subtitles.

Oddly enough in episode #4 Sana calls Rei-kun her pimp in the English dub.

from http://www.animeprime.com/reports/kodocha.shtml

It's still there, just not as frequent.
Mylene

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Wolverine Princess wrote:
from http://www.animeprime.com/reports/kodocha.shtml

It's still there, just not as frequent.

Thanks for the clarification. I just remembered seeing it had been cut out, I didn't realize it wasn't a complete edit. Still, I tend to agree with you that it's a good choice for a young girl. Quite a bit of comedy, and of what I've seen (which isn't much, I'll admit) nothing terribly offensive.
sweet gimmick

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Ummm...Im not really sure if it qualifies or is suitable for childred, but maybe Kaleido Star? I mean I dont remember any swearing or violence in it, but then again I could be wrong....
halochief_90

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:09 pm Reply with quote
IchigoK90 wrote:
fighterholic wrote:
Azathrael wrote:
You didn't mention The Cat Returns and Howl's Moving Castle in your original post. Like Spirited Away and Mononoke Hime, they're both by Ghibli, appropriate for children, and very entertaining. The theme itself is really for kids, tough you won't hear adults complaining about it. As a short introduction, they're both fantasy and comedy that includes a plot that is sure to interest your child. You might even enjoy it more than your child. Smile

I would take back the one about Mononoke, because I don`t think it`s appropriate for an 8 year old to see some arms flying into a tree. I think Wild Arms was for little kids, wasn`t it?

I'd have to agree there as well. Also its pretty bloody at some parts and also I don't think seeing spoiler[the main character being shot is also appropriate].

For me I'd have to recommend Steamboy. Its really quiet entertaining and as far as I remember there's nothing too bad or inappropriate for an 8 year old in that movie.

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90
I actually found Mononoke to be the most gruesome of any anime that still creaked in a teen rating. Although the blood and violence never bothered me in any way, it will most likely scare your 8 year old girl. Most especially the, uh (without giving anything away), part with the bleeding boar. However, show it to her when she's 13 or so (whom the movie is intended for).
RDespair

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Sakura is highly recommended as is Castle in the Sky.

Judging from the trailers and my friend's response, Kaleido Star looks to be an excellent series for young girls.

I'm an English teacher in Asia and Magical Doremi is a very popular series among young kids here. It's a magical girl series with very young protagonists. I think it's still airing on TV in the US (4Kids).

Zhenzhu Meirenyu (Pearl the Mermaid?) is another series that is very popular among young girls here. I only know the Chinese name and for all I know, the series might not be available in English.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
YourNeighborTotoro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Nanaka 6/17- I have seen the first volume of this series. There is some violence (spoiler[Nanaka falls down stairs, Nenji does lots of fistfighting, and one girl constantly hits her brother with a sword]) but it's all bloodless, and the closest thing to blood is those little skin-bubbles popping on the head. There is no nudity, and an extremly little amount of language.

I second:
More Studio Ghibli- Studio Ghibli is great for kids. I wouldn't recommend Princess Mononoke or Grave of the Fireflies yet.
Angelic Layer- There's violence, but it's all kung fu and bloodless. spoiler[Icchan] makes the occasional perverted comment though, but I only remember a few, the worst (but pretty minor) in the first DVD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bluepita

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:24 pm Reply with quote
I can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate everyone's responses. Lots of great ideas, enough to keep my daughter in anime for a LONG time. Smile Since she enjoys anime as much as me, it's something I like to encourage. Gives us a hobby together, you know?

Subtitled or dubbed, she enjoys both (now). Lol, I am a mean mother who made her watch subtitled anime enough to learn to keep up with the reading (although I read a bunch to her when she first started), and let me tell you, it really helped her reading speed. I won't credit it all to subtitles, but after she started, she ended up reading three to four times faster than any other kid in her class. If anyone has kids, I highly recommend subtitles and manga for reading/comprehension speed and reading interest.

Thanks again to everyone!
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:29 am Reply with quote
RDespair wrote:
Zhenzhu Meirenyu (Pearl the Mermaid?) is another series that is very popular among young girls here. I only know the Chinese name and for all I know, the series might not be available in English.

Mermaid Melody: Pichi Pichi Pitch I'm guessing since it's the only recently made shoujo with mermaids I know of. ADV licensed it but it doesn't look like they're doing anything with it...
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:50 am Reply with quote
Nukunuko77 wrote:
I'd reccomend Sugar: A Little Snow Fairy, its a cute series that I think would be appropriate for an eight year old.
I was going to recommend the same thing--SFS has gorgeous art and it's just a cute, innocent series that'll leave kdis and adults with a warm feeling in their heart after (almost) all the episodes. Nothing creepy or objectionable.
frentymon wrote:

I recently watched the first two episodes of Bincho-tan. It seems to be 100% child-friendly, and exhibits a small girl, Bincho-tan, in her daily life as she interacts with nature and goes to work in her town.
Although, she seems to be the mascot of a company who produces not-so-child-friendly H-games...Even so, there's pretty much nothing objectionable about this series. It's a somewhat enjoyable watch as well.
Bincho-tan, as far as I know, is aimed at adult men in Japan. I watched a little bit of it, and even though I really like cute anime, I found it to be creepy somehow.
PantsGoblin wrote:
Mermaid Melody: Pichi Pichi Pitch I'm guessing since it's the only recently made shoujo with mermaids I know of. ADV licensed it but it doesn't look like they're doing anything with it...
It's not mentioned on ANN, but I believe that ADV reneged on the MMPP license because they failed to get a TV deal, and didn't believe that the series would make money without a TV deal. I'm also judging this by the fact that an "ethical" fansubbing group had subbed episodes 1-19, removed them saying the series had been licensed by ADV, but later put 1-19 back up on their tracker and have continued subbing up to episode 32. I'd trust that group not to sub any anime that they knew to be licensed.
Dubby

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:33 pm Reply with quote
A Little Snow Fairy Sugar would be a suitable series for an 8 year old. I think The Cat's Return was mentioned also. Stay away from Pom Poko though, she might have a few strange questions . Don't be fooled by the cute cover.
suna_suna

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:56 pm Reply with quote
halochief_90 wrote:
I actually found Mononoke to be the most gruesome of any anime that still creaked in a teen rating. Although the blood and violence never bothered me in any way, it will most likely scare your 8 year old girl. Most especially the, uh (without giving anything away), part with the bleeding boar. However, show it to her when she's 13 or so (whom the movie is intended for).

Actually, i saw mononoke hime for the first time when i was nine, and i simply loved it. i even saw it a second time. the only problem was when i saw it, i was living in france at the time. the theatre i was in had it playing in Japanese with french subtitles, which was cool, so i had no idea what was going on. its up to you if you want to risk it and show your daughter Mononoke Hime, but i wasn't traumitized by it.
ryokoalways

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:56 pm Reply with quote
I think Azumanga would be ok for kids mostly. There are parts that may be slightly obscene (usually involving Yukari), but otherwise, the humor should be enjoyable to children in my opinion.

Ghibli is excellent, although may need to take heed with the more violent mononoke, nausicca, and the extremely depressing grave of the firefly.

I want to recommend nanoha, but it is definitely a little more towards older children/younger teen at least due to some graphic content and maybe some themes. However, I think it would be a wonderful choice when your child is older.
RDespair

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:02 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
RDespair wrote:

That looks about right (haven't actually seen the anime since I'm not a young girl, but as a teacher, I see girl students carrying merchadise for the series all over the place).
Kidder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:41 am Reply with quote
As many people have already mentioned, a good majority of Studio Ghibli's movies are perfect for kids (I grew up watching most of them). The ones I would avoid showing to an 8-year old would probably be Princess Mononoke (fair amount of violence and blood), Nausicaa (giant bugs...) and Pompoko (ummm... anatomical features that may raise problematic questions xD). Interestingly enough, these 3 films I've mentioned deal primarily with environmental issues, so they'd be beneficial to show to your daughter later on.

A recent show I started watching is called Animal Yokocho (or Animal Alley). It's very cute and light-hearted and as far as I can tell involves now adult situations or jokes. It involves a little girl who moves to a new house (in the countryside I believe) and discovers a trapdoor in her room. She discovers that the trapdoor leads to an alternate world called Animal Yokocho (or AniYoko for short) and 3 small talking animals (that look like plush toys) come into her room pretty much everyday and get up to all sorts of childish-antics etc. It's good clean fun Anime smile and very funny.

Another good show is Ichigo Mashimaro (sp?). Very light-hearted humour and cute similar to Azumanga Daioh although several of the jokes might be considered a tad bit adult.

I was going to suggest Keroro Gunso since it is also cute and fun, but your daughter might not get some of the japanese cultural references (such as the many Gundam parodies). Some might consider it to have some fanservice but it doesn't even border on panty shots.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 22