• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bodacious Space Pirates (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:02 am Reply with quote
Only because the same people who made Macross Frontier are making this. That and both titles are recent series which use space, spaceships and space-faring civilisations as their backdrops. It would be illogical not to compare them, at least a little.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:35 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Only because the same people who made Macross Frontier are making this. That and both titles are recent series which use space, spaceships and space-faring civilisations as their backdrops. It would be illogical not to compare them, at least a little.

Same company, entirely different primary staff. The other factors you mentioned are so vague that they could apply to dozens of other anime series.

And I would point out that you're criticizing the show for not clearly laying out every single thing about where it's going in the first episode. I can think of many of your favorite series which fall into that category, too. . . Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Eivion

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't greatly impressed, but I thought the first episode was solid enough. It definitely has me interested enough to keep watching for a few more episodes.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Same company, entirely different primary staff. The other factors you mentioned are so vague that they could apply to dozens of other anime series.:

Oh really?

Fifteen titles (many of which are nothing like Macross Frontier or Moretsu Pirates) does not, in anyone's book, constitute "dozens".
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:38 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
(many of which are nothing like Macross Frontier or Moretsu Pirates)

I don't think that's a point in your favor. Also, the themes entry of the encyclopedia is quite incomplete, so only turning up 15 results isn't saying much. Planetes could also easily be labeled with a space theme, and that again has little in common with either series mentioned. Likewise, Outlaw Star, Lost Universe, Captain Harlock, Infinite Ryvius, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, and so on.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Except that I specified recent Anime. I searched from 2007 onwards, because five years is outside limit of my personal definition of 'recent'. You may have a different definition, fine. But I don't think a fourteen-year-old show (Outlaw Star) or the even older LOtGH can be considered 'recent' unless you have been watching Anime since the 70s or earlier.

I concede your point that titles are missing from the search. For example, Tytania is a glaring omission. But enough titles to constitute "dozens"? I have to wonder.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Ah, I missed the word recent because I don't believe the age of the series matters. And still, being set in space is a vague similarity at best.
SnowMusket

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:16 am Reply with quote
I knew I'd like this before it started and I was right. Seeing that other people who had low expectations have been turned has made me all sorts of happy.

I honestly would like to seem them do real piracy. Almost every piece of media with pirates as the protagonists has them not do any actual piracy. Of course, I won't be too heart broken if it is more of an adventure with less evil piracy.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:42 am Reply with quote
About them doing actual evil stuff, it looked they were searching for some recruits useing the records of the students in her school. You would have to wonder about that.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm not completely sold by the first episode but I'm interested enough to give episode 2 a watch and see if things progress. I just feel like so far all I've seen is a lot of ideas that I've also seen elsewhere, pulled together and mixed with a world that sounds a lot like Joss Whedon's Firefly. This latter part would be a selling point except so far that tone is just too silly. I'm just sort of over Japanese school girls acting like Japanese schoolgirls and, even though I'm sure there is going to be an overarching character arc for Marika, I'm not sure I have the patience to watch until she becomes interesting.

That said, so far I'm intrigued by Chiaki Kurihara. So yes, I'll give it another episode or two to convince me, especially since it was one of the more interesting sounding shows of this season IMO.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:26 pm Reply with quote
The 2nd ep was great. This episode focuses on Marika learning about using guns and the power a pirate has from her mother, learning how to operate a space ship with her space yacht club and learning electronic warfare with Chiaki.

This episode was mostly a character build-up for Marika from clueless to a quick and determine learner.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Well, clearly this is a series not afraid to take its time. I'm loving the lush look and attempt at space verisimilitude, but I'm not exactly on the edge of my seat plot-wise. Oh noes, the ship (and not even the one Captain Chick will eventually - and I do mean, eventually - be taking over) is under attack! Erm, cyber-warfare attack, that is. Gripping stuff. Can we assume we will get to the real pirate ship before episode 12?
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I dunno, I love the pace of it so far. It's so refreshing to see one of these kind of series not feel the need to immediately plunge in but instead give the lead a chance to grow into her role and come to accept it in a sensible fashion. Marika is such a great female lead that I'm enjoying just watching her. I will happily watch how Marika advances to the point of undertaking her destined role, however long it takes; since this is a 26-episode series based on light novels, my suspicion is that it will take 5-6 episodes (i.e. equivalent to the first novel) to get her there. Chiaki (as I commented in the Preview Guide response thread) is also giving off a Kuroneko vibe - and I was a big fan of Kuroneko

Also, I'm very interested to see how the Bentenmaru fits into the grand scheme of things. The first couple of episodes have dropped hints that its role may be far more than just that of a simple space privateer; otherwise, why would such a diverse crowd have been scouting out Marika?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:31 pm Reply with quote
I agree with Key here. I'm very much enjoying the pace that Miniskirt Pirates has at the moment. Allowing Marika to familiarize herself with all concepts of space warfare (including electronic) is certainly interesting to me. I typically dislike shows that just rush to action at the expense of character development, though I can understand why some aren't all that interested in watching a group of high school girls doing pre-flight checkups and such.

This continues to be my favorite of the new season (though Chihayafuru tops it as far as favorite anime that is airing).
Botan24

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:20 pm Reply with quote
This show is starting to impress me. Especially in the scene involving Marika and her mother. When she tells Marika that deciding whether or not to pull the trigger is a pirates power reminded me of a similar scene in (believe it or not) Wyatt Earp. Wyatt is still a kid and just witnessed his first gunfight (where a man dies). His father tells him that killing isn't something one should consider lightly. But, there are some men that will not listen to reason, and in that case its either kill or be killed. That is real, and it seems that Space Pirates is going to keep the storyline serious.

The pacing is slower than I like, but I recognize that this is character building time. Which I always appreciate. Smile If this is going to be a 26 episodes then I'm sure it will pick up soon.

Overall, the show looks good. I especially enjoyed the scene at the draw bridge with the tinted sky. And out in the "desert" with the milky way(?) beaming down was very lovely.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 27