• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Acquires Bamboo Blade, Druaga, Dragonaut

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Meh I gave up on Gantz. I couldn't find the story under all the gore and sex and I wasn't in it for gore and sex.
Jarmel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:46 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
And to the people who don't like Gonzo endings...this is a symptom of anime overall. There's a reason the "WTF" ending, begotten by Gainax, is called the Gainax Ending. It ain't just them.

Gainax ending might be trollish, but you can argue and debate it forever. GONZO ends are just infuriating and insulting.

I guess what you could say here is that Dragonaut is like Battlefield Earth. If you think it's worth buying to simply hate yourself for it, then go right ahead. We're just trying to save you the anguish, money, and time.

Prefect example for GONZO end is Chrono Chrusade. This pretty much nullified the whole show and was just head-bash worthy.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:53 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
With that out of the way, I can't say I have much interest in these titles, other than maybe Druaga. Bamboo Blade never caught my attention, Blassreiter seemed too "meh" to look into. Dragonaut...well, I believed all the negative chatter and stayed far away from it.

...So you have no interest in shows that, by your own admission, you either know nothing about or are just jumping on the bandwagon over? Kaaaay...Your loss. :3
I wouldn't say I knew "nothing"... I'd read reviews of those shows, and they were either negative, mixed, or just didn't say anything that made me want to look into the series. A lot of the time I do check out Gonzo series on a "because they're Gonzo" basis, but not this time. But I hardly ever say "never"...a few years down the line when Blassreiter and Bamboo Blade are out in cheap collections, I won't exclude the possibility of buying them. But for now, they're "didn't watch in fansubs and feel no guilt in not purchasing" shows. Dragonaut...well, based on this thread, past threads, and various reviews, I'm going to count my blessings that I didn't spend bandwidth/disc space/time/brain cells watching it. Sometimes the bandwagon is a comfortable ride. There are other Gonzo titles like Solty Rei, Black Cat, Glass Fleet, and Witchblade that are higher on my list than Blassreiter and Dragonaut, anyway. And of course Druaga. That divisive first episode had my local anime club pounding tables and howling with laughter over all the RPG genre parodies.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Jarmel wrote:
Prefect example for GONZO end is Chrono Chrusade. This pretty much nullified the whole show and was just head-bash worthy.

God, I remember when our university anime club finished the series. We just kind of all stared in shock at the TV even after the credits rolled.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I must be in that very small minority who thought Dragonaut was OK. Nothing great, to be sure, but with a FUNi dub, I'll probably get it (partly out of spite now, considering the amount of hate there is for it, sheesh.... How ironic would it be if this sold really, really well? I'm not sure how some of you would get through the day, lol!).

I'll have to preview the other three series on FUNi's video service, as I'm fairly ignorant of them. But overall, this is great news.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Jarmel wrote:

But Chrno Crusade actually had an ending at least in a story sense.

Beginning to Conflict to Climax to Anti-Climax to Return (or after effects of their actions)

Most anime tend to stop at "Bad Guy has been defeated Yays!" part.

Oh and looking at the screenshots of Dragonaut, I might not pick this one up, but my brother would be interested (Dragins, women! he picked up Green Green and Girls High for the girls so yeah....)
The Count

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Jarmel wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
And to the people who don't like Gonzo endings...this is a symptom of anime overall. There's a reason the "WTF" ending, begotten by Gainax, is called the Gainax Ending. It ain't just them.

Gainax ending might be trollish, but you can argue and debate it forever. GONZO ends are just infuriating and insulting.

I guess what you could say here is that Dragonaut is like Battlefield Earth. If you think it's worth buying to simply hate yourself for it, then go right ahead. We're just trying to save you the anguish, money, and time.

Was there really another way to end the show? Yes it was very sad but it made sense and didn't leave anything open. The end didn't nullify the show, and as a guy it's one of the few shows to ever make me get watery eyed.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Dragonaut isn't the worst show ever, but it is still too repetitive, unoriginal and ultimately boring.

Curiously, the CG didn't actually annoy me, as unimpressive and primitive as it was. At some point I stopped watching and just read episode summaries, perhaps around the halfway mark. I wasn't even laughing and instead just yawned my way through it due to inertia, so that was probably a good decision.

If you removed the awkward fanservice or innuendo and certain bits of violence, I would say Dragonaut's actual intended audience were little kids and leave it at that. Teens and up will probably be too bored or disappointed. The absolute hatred for it is a little exaggerated. It's all just completely bland and pointless.

I've heard a lot of praise for Bamboo Blade so it may be a good comedy, hopefully, and perhaps it's about time for me to get around to finishing Tower of Druaga, which was a nice enough series at least up until the point I decided to put it on-hold. Didn't really get to check out Blassreiter though.
zrdb

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:41 pm Reply with quote
It makes me wonder if Funi is going to do an ADV and bite off more than they can chew and then go belly up?
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:50 pm Reply with quote
I doubt it, and ADV copied off of geneon by biting off more than they could chew (but they are still around) FUNi doe have one thing no other company does and that in a parent company in the US.
Jarmel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Nothing got accomplished though. spoiler[The bad guy is still alive, in some form or whatsoever(unless they were going for Aion was pure evil which would be stupid as they had to physically show that he was evil through that assassin instead of letting his actions stand on their own). The main characters are dead. The brother goes insane. The loli nun(I can't remember her name) is pretty much alone. ] It was just stupid, there really was no sense of closure like say with Bebop in which the Spike and Vicious arc ended. This was as close to a bad guys win ending that you're going to get. The manga had a much better ending and made much more sense than the anime. Once again it was Gonzo making up crap like they did with Hellsing.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:16 pm Reply with quote
The good guys don't always win.

Chrono Crusade proved this.

Azumaria totally should have died though. Her voice was so grating.
Cait

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Jarmel wrote:
Once again it was Gonzo making up crap like they did with Hellsing.

Hellsing TV was not that bad. It was certainly much different from the anime, but it was a stand-alone adaptation. They attempted to turn it into a more "straight horror" series than the original manga, which was strangely campy and at the time of the TV anime's creation, incomplete. The Nazi element was cut out (possibly for being even more way out there) and it ended in a weird place, probably because it didn't get optioned for a second season. I don't agree with using it at some kind of example of Gonzo mucking something up, though.
Jarmel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
The good guys don't always win.

Chrono Crusade proved this.

Azumaria totally should have died though. Her voice was so grating.

But they atleast get a draw or get away. There are very very few shows in any media where the bad guys win and that is for good reason. The closest I can even think of in anime is Death Note and people were split on that. It's like somebody ending a book or movie with the earth exploding after a guy tries to save it. It just nullifies part of the story and makes it worthless. Actually there is the movie Valkyrie but the point of the movie wasn't really about saving the world(but rather showing how all the Germans did not submit) and we all know how it ends with Hitler. In Crusade nothing at all is accomplished and so really makes the story pointless. I mean they might as well sat on the porch and enjoyed tea and biscuits for all the good they did.

As I mentioned earlier Gonzo went off track just like they do with other shows and made a sub-par ending.

As for Hellsing, the ending is pretty simplistic to the rest of the show and the manga later on, not to mention the animation quality and fight scenes suffered as well. The OVAs are much better done and the feel is more consistent than the TV show.

*shrugs shoulders*. Everyone's got an opinion I guess. I mean look at this some people think Dragonaut should be burned with fire and other people like it. I figure that if a guy was going to conquer the world and went about raping and enslaving the population, there would still be people arguing on both sides whether it was ok or not.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:03 am Reply with quote
Whether or not you like Gonzo as they are now, pre-2007 they seemed to make a lot of really nifty stuff. So maybe they've declined in quality the last 2-3 years. So what? They had a good run, and I'd rather remember them for all the good they did for anime rather than bashing them based on the "duds" they made. Like I said, every studio has hits and misses, and every studio has been guilty of at least a few shows with horrible endings. So hats off to you Gonzo for what you've brought to the table, and here's hoping that before you go under completely, you give us one or two more last grand hurrahs that shush all the naysayers.

EDIT: Oh, and Mario...J.C. Staff also gifted the world plenty of garbage: Eiken, Battle Arena Toshinden, Garzey's Wing, Ikki Tousen, Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer, and Virus Buster Serge, to name a few, are some of the shows they had a hand in.

Last edited by Unit 03.5-ish on Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 17