• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Spring Season 2009 -- what are you excited for?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rg4619

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Ikari1 wrote:
but I just get the impression that this is a money maker more than anything else.

It is. After the release of the movie, one FMA marketing guy mentioned that they had no real intention of revisiting the title. To them, it was a finished project.

However, he mentioned that because the show was insanely popular, they might have no choice but to capitalize again (the money being too good).
Ikari1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Have you got an actual source for that quote ?

I mean if that is true it just winds me up even more. Hell I'll watch it but I'm going to be very critical if I smell the slightest bit of lack of effort. It's going to have to be really special in other words.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I don't think anyone's under the assumption that the new FMA series isn't a blatent cash-grab on the basis that it's an immensely popular title. But that doesn't mean it won't be good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:19 pm Reply with quote
I agree with penguintruth. People should just calm down about it and take it for what it is. There no use in going around complaining about it. But I would like to know if there is any quote or anything like that to show that the new FMA series is suppose to be closer to the manga. I ask because I actually haven't seen anything like that yet. It seems like people are just jumping to that conclusion. I wouldn't realy mind either way, but I'd still like to know for sure.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:29 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

I don't think anyone's under the assumption that the new FMA series isn't a blatent cash-grab on the basis that it's an immensely popular title. But that doesn't mean it won't be good.

I’m not saying it won’t be good, that’s the reason I’m going to watch it. But I’m not objecting on behalf of the whole money-makes-the-world-go-round principle, I’m objecting in conjunction with my hatred of alternate endings.

Why fix what’s broken? And on what basis? Fan-pandering?

Some remakes I agree with, especially if they do stick close to the material. Take King Kong for instance; the original is a film staple, but I thought that new and improved technology and special effects enhanced the experience and story enough to justify a remake.

In this case, I don't think it's justified, not in the least bit.

Mushi-Man wrote:
I agree with penguintruth. People should just calm down about it and take it for what it is. There no use in going around complaining about it. But I would like to know if there is any quote or anything like that to show that the new FMA series is suppose to be closer to the manga. I ask because I actually haven't seen anything like that yet. It seems like people are just jumping to that conclusion. I wouldn't realy mind either way, but I'd still like to know for sure.

Why shouldn’t those of us in protest be allowed to voice our opinions, respectfully and intelligently? I know it won’t change anything, but I don’t take kindly to being told, “Well, your opinion doesn’t matter anyway, so just can it.”

This article makes it clear that we are at least starting from the beginning. It’s true, I haven’t seen it stated explicitly anywhere that BONES is going to follow the manga, but I think it would be dumb for them to deviate from the tried-and-true method if what they’re really after is money. I think it’s generally accepted that sticking to the manga is what they’re going to do.

Westlo wrote:

rainbowcourage wrote:
Did people really watch the TV series and go, "What? They ruined the story! It's awful!"

Yep a lot of people did...

Well, then those people were obviously not judging the TV series by its own merits (granted, I know that’s hard to do, especially if one is a fan of the original material). Even as a fan of the original material, it shouldn’t be that hard to acknowledge when something truly shines, as I believe FMA TV does.

Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Westlo wrote:
Quote:
Seriously, not every single show ever done has to be cannon, especially if the show improves on the original material.

But you don't know if the show improves on the original material...

It does, though, especially in the early episodes. The early chapters of the manga muddle through the motions of the plot without creating the same level of depth to the characters. The anime makes you care enough about the people that certain scenes (the ones in the Trying Not To Cry thread) affect you, while the manga doesn't hit quite so hard.

Thanks, I wouldn’t be able to attest to that for myself; I’ve heard various things, but mostly that the anime surpassed the manga for the cannon parts. It’s all subjective, of course.

Honestly, though, there are tons of good manga and books out there that will never be adapted to the screen. The point is that the TV series rocked by itself, so it shouldn’t really be about the source material since it wasn't a faithful 100% adaptation. For non-manga-readers (i.e. people who did not watch with preconceived notions, since we are talking about the anime here) it'll be like seeing their favorite characters put into professional fan fiction (oxymoron there), or an alternate universe.

In fact, BONES did what so many studios fail to do now-they took a manga that was still in production, and instead of adding in useless filler and ruining the show while waiting for new creative material, they made up an original ending. That kind of thing should be encouraged, not rescinded with a version that is a slap in the face to fans of the original TV series simply because a version that is "closer to the manga" will please more people.

[metaknowledge]
Anyway, I'm resigned to agreeing to disagree on the principle. As for the show itself, the main thing will be how it turns out; if it's good I'm not going to stick to a narrow-minded path and write it off. As I said before, I'm going to try to do what so many manga fans apparently failed to do with the TV adaptation, and that is to evaluate the show for its own merits (comparisons will be inevitable, but I'll attempt to tone them down).[/metaknowledge]

Last edited by rainbowcourage on Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
taster of pork

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Definitely looking forward to Spice and Wolf and FMA. And I'll probably check out Phantom and Eden of the East.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:07 pm Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:
Why shouldn’t those of us in protest be allowed to voice our opinions, respectfully and intelligently? I know it won’t change anything, but I don’t take kindly to being told, “Well, your opinion doesn’t matter anyway, so just can it.”

I'm not saying you can't to any extent. I'm simply saying that it seems pointless to point this type of thing out. I don't think there is a single person on this forum that thinks that the new FMA isn't an attempt to get more money out of the situation. It just seems like people are demonizing it right off the bat because of this fact. And thanks for giving your input on my question.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ian K

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:04 am Reply with quote
As someone who gravitates toward action/adventure type stories with fantastic or SF-ish elements, I find that quite a few shows this season have potential to be interesting. The ones I have the highest hopes for:

Guin Saga: I just feel up for some Conan-esque violent fantasy, and the preview showed off some really nice looking animation.

Shangri-La: Yes, it's GONZO, but they seem to have compiled some decent talent for this production, and you don't hire Range Murata to do character designs for disposable moe fluff. However, I am getting a little tired of preachy environmentalism in my anime.

Valkyria Chronicles: I have heard nothing but good things about the game, which apparently had a decent story and a strong cast of characters. I was impressed by A-1's animation of Kannagi, and am looking forward to seeing that same sort of talent depicting violence and mayhem!

Eden of the East: GitS:SAC was something of an acquired taste for me, as it had serious pacing issues in the first season. However, it's world building eventually won me over, and I could really go for some hard SF right now. On the other hand, I'm worried about how they'll depict the US - the preview that shows cops harassing a girl in front of the white house (a spot that is commonly inhabited by hundreds of tourists and protesters who do their thing unmolested) wasn't promising.

FMA 2: Self explanatory.

Now I understand why some people are worried that this is just milking the same cow. As rainbow courage said, there are a lot of good stories out there that would make great anime. However, I think the FMA manga is one of those stories. The first anime was based on the first 4 volumes or so, which leaves around 16 volumes of manga exclusive material. Don't get me wrong, the first series is great, and I love the character growth that we see in Lust, Wrath, and especially Ed.

But the manga does plenty of really good stuff that also imo deserves to be on the screen: The Ishbal War is depicted much better, the backstory on Winry's parents is mindblowingly well done, and above all the fight between Lust and Mustang kicks ass (the author herself said this is what she is looking forward to seeing animated most of all). The original FMA anime was very strong, but the manga is also strong in its own way, and if the new adaptation is well handled I don't think anyone will be disappointed.

Last edited by Ian K on Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:08 am; edited 1 time in total
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:07 am Reply with quote
Zac's reaction to a certain poster at the Tokyo Anime Fair has made me interested in Queen's Blade. So I'll be checking it out as it's coming out, and I have already started reading the manga for it as well. The only thing that is a drawback is that apparently the manga is different from the anime.
Westlo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:21 am Reply with quote
Of course FMA is to make money... do people think shows are made for any other reason? I really don't see the point of pointing this out.. what exactly do you think the first season was but an attempt to capitalize on a very hot manga and make money? Seriously you people are acting like the first FMA by Bones was some underground show that was a rose from sleeper status to being a big hit... no it was not it aired on the premier anime timeslot in japan taking over from Gundam SEED which was one of the biggest anime hits this decade.

@ Dorcas_Aurelia

I don't care if the anime handled it better the point is rainbow herself hasn't read the manga, so she has no way of knowing which is handled better.. that's the point... and for every person who says the anime did it better another will say the manga did so this argument is pointless.

Also TAF trailer for FMA 2 is awesome.
Ikari1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Of course FMA is to make money... do people think shows are made for any other reason? I really don't see the point of pointing this out

Aside from the fact that that isnt really an excuse for delivering half a job to us with a series such as FMA, a number of points need to be made here.

We wouldnt be talking about this if the origional anime hadnt been so successful. I dont care what anyone says about the manga being more popular, the point is this series wouldnt have picked up anywhere near the hype and money it is going to make had it not been for the origional anime series. This series coming out is going to be using the characters as they were fleshed out and 'crash tested' in the origional series and as such owes alot to the origional series.

Also I have read the manga. The anime does certain things much better but this only my opinion. It does emotion much better in my opinion for one thing. It fleshed out and improved upon what I call alot of the manga's core weaknesses and to be honest made FMA what it is today.. As much as I prefer the longer winding story of the manga, I feel it doesnt hold the same instensity that the anime held. As for endings, I thought the anime ending was suitable and bittersweet.

The other point I would like to point out here is that half the enjoyment I was going to have wondering what wonderful new suprises and plot twists I would have got had they followed the origional anime series ending, I'm now not. I read about it all ready. So for me that is already a dissapointment. Then theres the issue of having to redo scenes that are already done in the origional series. So I already know that I'm going at least spend and hour or two re watching stuff I've already seen. Not a good start really. Even if the story where it diverges in the manga is bought to life with the same intensity of the orional series, the fact remains that I knew what was coming.With a series as large as FMA i would have thought that they could have done better than to churn out a manga adaptation.

Im not syaing that anime based of manga is bad but that this case is different in that we already have a previous anime adaptation that alot of people really liked. If it had been terrible and hated then fair enough this series would be exciting.

This series is going to be relying upon the new story of the manga to impress me and since I know roughly ( it was a while since i read the manga in all honesty), where it is going allready, that leaves the animation and art to impress me. Well as I didn't see anything massivly wrong at all with both of these aspects in the origonal series, it is going to have to be something special.

Theres just not much to get excited about other than the fact that this is FMA at the end of the day. But then that is the main reason alot of people are all excited about it, not becasue it is the manga adaptation but simply becasue this is FMA. Thats just my opinion but it is why I think this is a shameless money maker. Not a money maker but a shameless money maker.

Basically Im massivly sceptical that this series is going to have the same impact that the origional had on me and I was one of the people that read the manga afterwards.

I dont think i'm alone in thinking that aside from getting a new ending it doesnt really have much to offer compared to what could have been a really interesting continuation of the origional anime story. The possibilites for what we could have had were endless but instead we have something that isnt exactly inspired.

Anyway this is the first time I have made a comment such as this about any new series before it is released but as always I will watch it and see if they can actually pull of some spectacular moves in order to make a story that I know is coming, exciting and as engaging as the origional series it is quite clearly riding off the back off.

Aslong as they really do make something great out of the manga as it deserves then I wont really mind. As long as this isnt just a half hearted attempt I will watch it.
Westlo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:10 am Reply with quote
Aside from the fact that that isnt really an excuse for delivering half a job to us with a series such as FMA

Half a job... what the hell are you on about... they're going to have to fit in over 100 manga chapters (the majority of which weren't in the first season as you bloody well know) into 50 episodes are a launching with an original arc as an introduction, where the hell does half ass come from that? Cut the filler episodes out, cut the added stuff Bones did with existing material out and you already save like 10-12 episodes from the first half. And I expect Bones to cover that material very quickly since they will have over 100 chapters to do when all is said and done... so how the hell is this half assed?

I don't care what anyone says about the manga being more popular, the point is this series wouldnt have picked up anywhere near the hype and money it is going to make had it not been for the origional anime series.

Uh massive manga fanbase + airing taking over the timeslot after Gundam 00 finished would = massive hype and money making but just ignore reality man, it's cool. I mean just ignore that nearly every massively popular anime series is based on a manga... One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, Gintama, Sgt Frog, Nodame Cantabile. Clearly without a prior anime series FMA would've been the exception... even though the anime got popular in the first placed thanks to the manga fanbase.. but let's ignore that!

Or are we talking about fansub community? You telling me the same community that make FMA an instant hit wouldn't have done the same for this if the first season didn't exist?

This series coming out is going to be using the characters as they were fleshed out and 'crash tested' in the origional series and as such owes alot to the origional series.

Yeah Greed and Mustang are so going to be like they were in the first season... and please don't act like Ed, Alric and Winry were fine tuned in the show and revised later in the manga... lol...

And you keep going on about following the original anime series ending... dude.. you have seen the (rather average imo) FMA movie right? It's pretty much closed.. it's not open ended like the tv series...
Ikari1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:04 am Reply with quote
I give up we obviously arn't going to agree on this one westlo so I'm not getting involved any further into this.

I dont particularly think that the manga will make a good screen adpatation is alll and I think cramming 100 chapers of manga into a single series will be difficult to do. They will at least need to have the same amount of episodes as the old series or I call it half assed and rushed to make quick bucks.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:15 am Reply with quote
Well, this whole FMA remake has me in a quandary. I haven't seen any of the original FMA and want to. Now I have to wonder if I should hold off and wait for the remake to run its course. Or get both. Decisions, decisions...

I wonder if it will be a Hellsing situation. I haven't seen any of the original nor of Hellsing Ultimate, but the vibe I'm getting seems to be to just stick with Ultimate and not bother with the original. I wonder if it will be the same situation with FMA?
Westlo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:32 am Reply with quote
Ikari1 wrote:
I give up we obviously arn't going to agree on this one westlo so I'm not getting involved any further into this.

I don't particularly think that the manga will make a good screen adpatation is alll and I think cramming 100 chapers of manga into a single series will be difficult to do. They will at least need to have the same amount of episodes as the old series or I call it half assed and rushed to make quick bucks.

Sigh.. it's confirmed for 50 odd episodes... and will probably get replaced by what ever Gundam series sunrise cook up in 2010... since after the flop of Code Geass R2 they only want surefire hits in this time slot.

And you haven't watched the movie have you?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5