• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Viz prices on the rise!?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elloshiions

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:03 pm Reply with quote
aw man! really?? a price increase..?? that is so going to suck. i have fallen behind in so many of my collections. i might as well consider buying used manga from certain sites if that really does happen.. i just hope the quality and everything would be fine in the later releases.
sj21

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:51 pm Reply with quote
this sucks, i buy their manga all the time, why can't it be like japan and be 420 yen(or 4.20 cents). and one thing i noticed i got an onmibus(i believe its what their called) of sgt. frog, volumes 1-3 and it was 13 dollars, great deal, terrific deal, but then i was at B&N today and its 10 dollars for a single volume. UHH WHAT!!!!
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:17 pm Reply with quote
sj21 wrote:
this sucks, i buy their manga all the time, why can't it be like japan and be 420 yen(or 4.20 cents).

Why? Because people in the US and Europe don't buy hundreds of millions of manga volumes each year and because Japanese publishers don't have to cover the cost of licensing fees, translations, lettering and touch-up art. Most manga prices are as low as they realistically can be given economies of scale.

If Viz sold their manga at $4.20 per volume, they'd be out of business within months.

Quote:
and one thing i noticed i got an onmibus(i believe its what their called) of sgt. frog, volumes 1-3 and it was 13 dollars, great deal, terrific deal, but then i was at B&N today and its 10 dollars for a single volume. UHH WHAT!!!!

It's a loss leader (or not far off at any rate). Tokyopop makes next to nothing on the omnibus edition of Sgt. Frog in the hope that having bought it, you'll go onto pick up the rest of the series at the usual retail price - it's supposed to entice the people who didn't buy the single volume editions of 1-3 when they originally came out to give the series a go.
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Are you sure you don't mean VIZ Signature and such? I'm looking through rightstuf and Barnes and Nobel and everything seems to be about 7.49. VIZ Media products are typically more expensive because they are printed in higher quality, unlike most Shonen Jump products because they have to be released quickly and because they are typically more underground series. I mean who's ever gonna buy Cheeky Angel?

I come from a time where manga was twenty dollars a volume, so my tolerance for people complaining about ten dollar manga is pretty low.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3