• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Senkou no Night Raid (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:47 am Reply with quote
No fansubbed episode has come out in quite a while; thirteen have been aired but only the first six have been subbed. Makes me just a little sad that the show has been treated so poorly. Okay, so judging by the episodes that have been subbed the show isn't as good as we were expecting based on the premise and the previews. But it didn't deserve this.

So yeah, I would have loved to talk about the actual show itself rather than the crappy fansub situation it is in, but that's impossible. Although I could always watch the raws, and then make a game of figuring out just what exactly is going on. Could be quite fun.
Mister V

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:09 am Reply with quote
The narration is the hard part. Though I totally agree that the show deserves much better. But then subbing crap is easier, right...
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:20 am Reply with quote
And episodes 7 through 10 have finally appeared! 6.5 (the one shown on tv in place of 7) was released a week or so back as well and I think some places labeled it as episode 7 by accident. And, if you didn't see the announcement, Senko is getting another DVD only episode but I'm not sure where it's supposed to fit into the story.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:53 pm Reply with quote
What I wrote in my Anime list:

Take an important time in history (although, is there any other?), give your protagonists superpowers, and heap a fair bit of cash on the project, and you've got a recipe for a pretty good show, right? Well, in the end yes, but it certainly took its time.

One of the problems this show had was the superpowers. First of all, they were generic. Secondly, by and large their limits and nuances were ill-defined, and no explanation was given as to how the cast came about them. Although care was taken not to overuse them, they still seemed too "broken". However, the powers also highlighted many situations where the team faced a problem that could have been easily resolved if someone had only bothered to remember that yes, they had a useful ability. And no, I'm not lambasting Kagura's stance here, but giving a more general critique of the writing.

The show was boring in the first half. I have the feeling that the writers didn't know quite what they wanted to do with the show. The characters were "cookie-cutters" in terms of personality, and pretty bland too. The story was very episodic, and there wasn't a sense of Cool Secret Agents that could keep a person hooked. The show wasn't bad, but one got the impression that huge amounts of potential was being wasted.

Now for the good bits. There were a few good twists, and characters actually started doubting themselves and their allegiances, resulting in some surprisingly good bouts of drama. The villain was better than most (and wasn't a total prick or lunatic either), and the plot picked up and got intriguing. Not only was there an excellent shell game concerning the issue of colonial independence, but the show offered a thought-provoking "what if" situation. What if certain parts of the Japanese military knew about the ending of World War 2? What would they do then to counter that future? That's a very interesting question, and the answer the show gave was a logical one. Also, the time period and setting began to show through more, with talks of revolution and the Chinese chafing at the overbearing Japanese rule. The ending wasn't too bad either; it did offer a sense of closure while still acknowledging that the characters' lives and the problems of the time did not stop there.

Finally, the production visuals. The music wasn't a standout but it was pretty good, and the animation was fluid enough. The character designs were very pleasing to the eye (I don't mean in a fan-service type way), and the characters themselves stayed on-model. The voice work was good (although perhaps a tad bland in the first half), except when characters tried to speak in a language other than Japanese. The staff should get props for trying to include English and Chinese, but like in Giant Killing, having Japanese Seiyuu speak languages they aren't fluent at just doesn't work. As for the backgrounds, they could be a little spartan at times, but were otherwise serviceable.

Overall this show had its faults and wasted a bit of its unique premise, and it was difficult to make the initial emotional connection to such bland characters. But thanks to a strong second half and good production visuals it falls solidly into Very Good territory. I might not have been impatiently looking forward to the new episode each week, but it was still well worth the watch.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Overall I was pretty disappointed in the show. There wasn't enough characterization for me to care about them especially when spoiler[some of them were killed off] and I felt the way it ended was extremely underwhelming. Add to that all the dithering around and recapping the show did instead of telling a story and the sum = Meh.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:31 pm Reply with quote
I really wanted to like this show, it had a cool setting and I'm all for messing around with politics. But the two months without subs made me lose interest and honestly the pacing and characterizations weren't as tight as they needed to be. And that leaves me frustrated, it looks pretty and had great potential and I want to know why someone didn't put in the extra effort to make it work (also want to know why episode 4 with the cat wasn't the DVD special episode with episode 0 being the first episode instead but I think everyone is wondering about that anyway).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3