• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Seven Seas Adds A Certain Scientific Railgun Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doubleO7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Player No. 3 wrote:
alexcampos wrote:
NOW CAN SOMEONE, PLEASE LICENSE HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD!!!

Sentai Filmworks already has.

He's obviously refering to the manga. This is a thread about manga after all.
Player No. 3

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Embarassed Forgive me, then.
alexcampos

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Player No. 3 wrote:

You are forgiven Smile

but seriously, WHY hasn't HOTD been licensed, that's a manga I would gladly spend all my money on.
Kyaa the Catlord

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:28 pm Reply with quote
adam_omega wrote:
Our release schedule for normal series like Dance in the Vampire Bund is 3-4 months (unless we catch up with the Japanese release, then we're at the mercy of the Japanese publisher's release schedule).

As for us cancelling a "ton of series," aside from our light novel line being put on hiatus, we have cancelled very few Japanese series. Three in fact: The Last Uniform (didn't sell), First Love Sisters (rights issues), I Otaku (didn't sell).

You forgot Kodomo no Jikan. And seriously, The Last Uniform was 3 books long, you released 2 of 3.... Cop out much? You also misplaced Akatsuki-iro no Senpuku Majo.

Also, despite your saying that your light novels line is "on hiatus", it has been years since you last released anything in it. It is functionally cancelled.

Seven Seas' reputation is junk. I have NO faith that you will follow through with a release once you license it.

But at least you aren't CMX.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:30 pm Reply with quote
alexcampos wrote:
Player No. 3 wrote:

You are forgiven Smile

but seriously, WHY hasn't HOTD been licensed, that's a manga I would gladly spend all my money on.

I'm sure someone will license it eventually. Publishers may be holding out to see how the tv series fares, and how well the DVDs/BDs sell first.
Ryujin99

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:06 pm Reply with quote
For those who are wondering. Yeah. I'm new. But moving on from that, it is pretty annoying how many series Seven Seas licenses then drops either without releasing anything or with just one or two volumes. It's so annoying! Evil or Very Mad
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
Well, if that happens it's a perfect tie in to Funimation's license to the series. Which IS a go. But since this is more a manga to some degree isn't it. Aren't light novels pretty much novels with no art? I've sort of been curious about the idea of what a light novel is in their terms.

Think young adult novel. They're fairly short and the reading level is lower than a more typical novel. They do generally come with a few illustrations, but like the cover art, they're just their for decoration, not to tell the story (though they generally relate better to what's going on than cover art often does). As I understand it, at least some of the time, they're actually released chapter by chapter in magazines before being released as books, just like manga are released chapter by chapter before being released as tankoban.

Really, I don't think that there's anything particularly special about light novels over other books. It's just that they're often the source material for anime series and it would be nice to be able to read them (that and good books are good to read anyway). They are released somewhat differently than their American counterparts, but when it comes down to it, they're just books aimed at a younger audience. Still, it would be nice for more of them to get translated and released in the US.

Ah ok. I guess because of the artwork on the cover I immediately felt it had a more "manga" quality. So it's a novel nonetheless. I have seen some light novels but not many. I saw one for 'Bionic Commando'. And I guess the 'Babysitter's club' would be a perfect example. I guess I thought Japan's idea of one was going to be totally different. Now I know otherwise. Thanks.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Ah ok. I guess because of the artwork on the cover I immediately felt it had a more "manga" quality.

That would be why Yen Press has been releasing Spice and Wolf with an alternate cover which uses a style of artwork which is more traditional for US novels rather than a manga/anime-style cover.

With manga-style artwork, light novels often get dismissed by people who would enjoy them if they actually read them but who don't read manga or watch anime. They also have a tendancy to be put in the manga section if they have manga-style artwork, and then folks who don't read manga aren't likely to find them.

As I understand it, bookstores like Borders and Barnes and Noble much prefer the non-manga-style covers because they do actually sell better. If light novels were generally sold just like regular young adult novels in the US without having any obvious connection to anime or manga, they'd probably sell better in general. That certainly wouldn't guarantee their success (if nothing else, not enough people read in general - not just anime and manga fans), but it does seem to improve their chances.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3