• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Spring Season 2009 -- what are you excited for?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:49 am Reply with quote
i'm probably gonna watch Fullmetal Alchemist. i honestly don't like the manga that much, but it has gotten really good recently.

for the people writing off Shangri-la because of Gonzo, you should know it's being written by the same guy as Noein -one of the most underrated animes ever. i predict this could be the next Last Exile. maybe better.

the only other anime that really interests me is Eden of the East... but then again, i don't know much about what's coming out.
Ikari1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
And you haven't watched the movie have you?

I have watched it. I own the special edition of said movie. The same one with the postcards and art booklet in.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Well, this whole FMA remake has me in a quandary. I haven't seen any of the original FMA and want to. Now I have to wonder if I should hold off and wait for the remake to run its course. Or get both. Decisions, decisions...

I wonder if it will be a Hellsing situation. I haven't seen any of the original nor of Hellsing Ultimate, but the vibe I'm getting seems to be to just stick with Ultimate and not bother with the original. I wonder if it will be the same situation with FMA?

Well, now's the time, chop chop, go watch 'em and find out. Smile
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Ikari1 wrote:
Quote:
Of course FMA is to make money... do people think shows are made for any other reason? I really don't see the point of pointing this out

We wouldnt be talking about this if the origional anime hadnt been so successful. I don't care what anyone says about the manga being more popular, the point is this series wouldnt have picked up anywhere near the hype and money it is going to make had it not been for the origional anime series. This series coming out is going to be using the characters as they were fleshed out and 'crash tested' in the origional series and as such owes alot to the origional series.

With a series as large as FMA i would have thought that they could have done better than to churn out a manga adaptation.

Im not syaing that anime based of manga is bad but that this case is different in that we already have a previous anime adaptation that alot of people really liked. If it had been terrible and hated then fair enough this series would be exciting.

I don't think i'm alone in thinking that aside from getting a new ending it doesnt really have much to offer compared to what could have been a really interesting continuation of the origional anime story. The possibilites for what we could have had were endless but instead we have something that isnt exactly inspired.

Ok first off

You do know that the manga came first right?

I mean you make it seem like Hiromu Arakawa just saw the anime, and made a manga based off of it.

I really don't understand what the hell do you mean by "crash testing" because Hiromu Arakawa didn't use any of the characteristics from the anime for her characters.

Also the original anime series is over, their was no story left unless you want to do Fullmetal Normal Person. It would be a fantasty story without the fantasy.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm kinda bummed to hear about FMA2. I only just started, and caught up with the manga, and was hoping that they were going to sort of "jump in" with the anime at the point near where they two diverged, but it sounds like they're going to be doing a start to finish translation of the manga. I found the manga to be considerably worse than the original anime until the plot got completely off course, at whcih point it got REALLY good, but any two scenes that they had in common, the anime did it better. If they're doing a full retelling it might not be until next year that they get to the actual good stuff.

Aside from that I'm not seeing much that I'm super psyched about, though a few will be worth a look at least. Another season of Tsubasa might be good.
poonk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, not a lot that appeals to me (at least upon initial inspection) besides...

Ristorante Paradiso - As someone already mentioned above, this seems like it's aimed at "the older crowd," which may be right up my alley...
Chi's Sweet Home (season 2/continuation/whatever) - This is just a given, since I adore this series.
07-Ghost - Okay, I won't lie-- it looks a bit BL-ish to me, hence my interest. I've never read the manga though, so I don't know if it's a good story or not.

*sigh* Doesn't look like a terribly promising spring, anime-wise, from my POV. Thank god for J-K-dramas!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sentire

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:01 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
i'm probably gonna watch Fullmetal Alchemist. i honestly don't like the manga that much, but it has gotten really good recently.

for the people writing off Shangri-la because of Gonzo, you should know it's being written by the same guy as Noein -one of the most underrated animes ever. i predict this could be the next Last Exile. maybe better.

the only other anime that really interests me is Eden of the East... but then again, i don't know much about what's coming out.

Just out of curiosity, what specifically is it that makes you think Shangri-la will be the next Last Exile (or better?). I'm not trying to be difficult, I'm being serious when I say I'm interested as to why.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:17 am Reply with quote
Quote:

I mean you make it seem like Hiromu Arakawa just saw the anime, and made a manga based off of it.

I really don't understand what the hell do you mean by "crash testing" because Hiromu Arakawa didn't use any of the characteristics from the anime for her characters.

I don't think either cna really claim to have come "first", the manga came out first, but given the production cycle for anime I thinkt hey were both developed at the same time. For the portions that the original anime covered, it was more pollished, things meshed together much better and had a tighter weave, but when the manga takes off in a completely different direction, that stuff's great, forming new bonds between characters, new major villains, and a much more epic plotline that the anime's is only a shadow of.

It's well worth watching for fans of the original anime, though I worry that people will get bored of the first season or so of it if it comes off as just a recap of the first 15-20 episodes of the original.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:43 am Reply with quote
[quote="Sentire"]
v1cious wrote:
Just out of curiosity, what specifically is it that makes you think Shangri-la will be the next Last Exile (or better?). I'm not trying to be difficult, I'm being serious when I say I'm interested as to why.

cause the designs were done by 'Range Murarata, and they have a competent writer, unlike most of Gonzo's recent offerings.
Sentire

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:49 am Reply with quote
So you are comparing mostly the design and how well it may be written?

I thought you might be making a comparison of the story itself, how well the characters develop... etc. Which is what confused me.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:17 am Reply with quote
We can also add another connection to Last Exile.

In addition to the Murata designs and the look of the show from screenshots released so far, the soundtrack now also has a huge Last Exile connection as well just like the character designs.

The recent Dengeki article that showed the first full screenshots of the show and characters/props/weapons images also gave the first soundtrack name in addition to the May'n (of Macross Frontier fame) OP and the main music credit they listed should make Last Exile soundtrack fans very pleased.

It lists Hitomi Kuroishi, who did both the main music and ED theme of Last Exile (with her group Dolce Triade) as doing the music for Shangri-La.

She also seems to work relatively often with Shuntaro Okino who did the OP of Last Exile (and I believe the insert song for the Claus and Lavie flashback), ANN lists that they both did something for Code Geass and they did an ED for Gun x Sword, so I wouldn't be too surprised if he shows up somewhere too for an ED or an insert song (if there are any), but I don't think they've announced any other music yet besides the OP and now the main music.

Last Exile is still one of my all time favorite shows.

I need to keep my expectations of the show reasonable but atleast this is more good news after learning that Ohnogi was writing since, as you guys have said, he's got a good scifi anime track record. Smile

Hopefully the show turns out good.
Ikari1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:38 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Ok first off

Also the original anime series is over, spoiler[their was no story left unless you want to do Fullmetal Normal Person. It would be a fantasty story without the fantasy].

Of course I know the manga came first. Read my post properly and that question will be answered for you.

The phase ''fleshed out'' and ''crash tested'' was meant to represent the process of taking manga characters and making them into anime characters and completle with all the other anime specificic/unique features cuch as voice and movement. Again please read the post properlly

Please use spoiler tags when you talk about something like what happens at the end of a series.
Westlo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:15 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
I don't think either cna really claim to have come "first", the manga came out first, but given the production cycle for anime I thinkt hey were both developed at the same time.

Eh.. the manga started in Jan 2001 and the anime started in October 2003... that's 36 months after the manga came out.., the manga was extremely popular which is the entire reason it got animated... remember that this was the show that aired in between Gundam SEED and Gundam SEED Destiny.. back than they didn't just throw random shows on.. hoping for a hit... they wanted one assured.

Quote:
For the portions that the original anime covered, it was more pollished, things meshed together much better and had a tighter weave

And I don't know why people don't expect the redone anime to also be more polished... it's not going to be a direct 1:1 copy of the manga (they won't have enough episodes for one...) it's just going to follow the manga storyline....

Quote:
The phase ''fleshed out'' and ''crash tested'' was meant to represent the process of taking manga characters and making them into anime characters and completle with all the other anime specificic/unique features cuch as voice and movement. Again please read the post properlly

lol... who cares about story, personality and actions... characters are fleshed out and crash tested by animation and voices :P
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:21 am Reply with quote
I understand that everyone has different opinions and there will be some people who like the original FMA anime better than the manga. And that is fine. But do not think that your opinion is universal. I know plenty of fans like me who definitely prefer the manga and thus do not see a remake as pointless. Well admittedly I was fine with having the manga and anime as separate entities, but I certainly don't think the old anime was perfect and cannot be touched like some people on here seem to think.
Ikari1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:
lol... who cares about story, personality and actions... characters are fleshed out and crash tested by animation and voices Razz

Which are all bought to life via the animation in a way the manga can not do in some ways.

Quote:
And that is fine. But do not think that your opinion is universal

Well yeah, thats the way it is anyway. There is clearly more of a fanbase for the manga than I thought there was before but on a similar level I think the orional anime has a large fan base also and I haven't heard any great criticsm of it until now when people start comparing manga vs anime. It's the first I have heard of any great number of people who genuinely didn't like the origional anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5