• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Gaoing the Distance

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:57 pm Reply with quote
If you don't want the stackpak, why don't you just get one of these instead? This is a little bigger than the Moribito stackpak, but that's mostly because that's smaller than the standard multi-disc case. According to DuelLadyS from another thread, it's barely noticeable (she uses a different case, but I'm sure they're the same dimensions).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dark Elf Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:30 pm Reply with quote
This is the second or third time I have heard of Media Blasters having a hard time. I hope they pull through, I still want to get Magic Knight Rayearth seasons 1 and 2, and The Twelve Kingdoms. I may try out Samurai Deeper Kyo, I don't know yet. I'm just glad I have the complete series of Weiss Kreuz and Rurouni Kenshin.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I had initially heard that a lot of Media Blasters' delays were due to a problem with their supplier of DVDs and not anything that they themselves controlled, but if they really are having severe financial problems that would really suck. They bring out the trashy niche stuff that I do so love like Queen's Blade. Plus I'm sick of hearing about licensing companies going under. Stop it!

Also, Scott Pilgrim is just hipster garbage. To each their own, of course, but it sure is being overhyped for another crappy film starring the talentless Michael Cera.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Look at you've done now, Erin... You got the man's attention, and he doesn't seem all too happy:
From John Sirabella himself at the AoD boards:
Quote:
Erin F...hmm. This has really become a spur in my saddle. I am having to deal with so many silly boards rumors.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
Also, Scott Pilgrim is just hipster garbage. To each their own, of course, but it sure is being overhyped for another crappy film starring the talentless Michael Cera.

Did you see it?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
I do so love like Queen's Blade.

Quote:

Hey you have objectively terrible taste.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Guvyer is really for those types who grew up on super sentai and violent anime, as well as, interestingly enough, giant monster movies. It does get exceedingly gruesome at times from one clip I remember (god that scene was sick!). Guyver was from a time when demons and monsters killing people were a common element in anime, so unless you're into kaiju, it's probably not for the sensitive types.

I heard GaoGaiGar is really hot-blooded super robot action. I need to add that to my list. I remember a funny meme made about some of the scenes in it Very Happy

As for Soul Eater, I feel like I want to be part of the crowd and see what makes this such an endearing shonen anime (especially amidst the many clones these days).
Sailor S

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:40 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:

Did you see it?

I wouldn't be saying I hated it if I hadn't. My friends wanted to see it, so I went along with them. Did not care for it one bit.

And that's nice Zac. You have an objectively annoying voice. Objectively speaking of course.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:

And that's nice Zac. You have an objectively annoying voice. Objectively speaking of course.

I'll dedicate the next episode of my podcast to you, sweetheart.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Glad you liked Scott Pilgrim, Erin. I honestly think that it should be nominated for an oscar for cinematography or even directing (though I know that won't happen). Every shot in that film is set up gorgeously. To the poster who called it "hipster garbage", maybe you could state your opinion a little less inflammatory. Unless you were trying to start a fight, but of course no one on the internet does that. Wink
garfield15

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:

Cause it's totally popular for being a movie first right?
ljaesch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Erin, I never thought I'd see the day John Hughes would get a mention in an anime column. Smile

After reading your piece though, I do have one slight nitpick about that opening paragraph. As it's written, it makes it sound like Say Anything was directed by John Hughes. While Say Anything is an awesome movie, and it's one of my favorite movies of all-time, it wasn't directed by John Hughes. It was directed by Cameron Crowe.

And like many others have stated in this thread already, I hope that MB doesn't go out of business. We've seen enough US companies associated with anime go out of business over the past 2-3 years, that I really would hate to see it happen yet again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
erinfinnegan wrote:

Did you see it?

I wouldn't be saying I hated it if I hadn't. My friends wanted to see it, so I went along with them. Did not care for it one bit.

Nonsense. While objectively speaking it might be that 80% or 95% of people subjectively feel that its annoying, it may be that 20% or 5% don't, or else are too intimidated by his scary avatar to say.

I was going to say that it grows on you, but then I realized the same can be said of athlete's foot, at which point it stopped sounding like such a strong defense.
firoooooo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:37 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe the Harry Potter diss... Hallows is a freaking good book, and, granted, it's super long, but I was not for a minute tired of it, had to read it in one day...

In any case, even if the girl in charge of shelf life thinks the movies are better because they are edited, just because she can't be bothered to read more than 100 pages and needs everything simplified, she shouldn't be commenting if a book is good or not, her opinion has no credibility whatsoever, stick to the anime please (and that is not working for her either) pfff, I should have listened to my instincts the second I finished reading her absurd comment on Hetalia... ANN, you should re-evaluate your staff.... actually, cross that off, you should re-evaluate the Shelf Life column, everyone else is awesome!
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:33 am Reply with quote
Erin, I'd definitely recommend picking up the manga again for Soul Eater.

I won't lie, jumping into it from the beginning can be a hard thing to do. The visuals are no where near as stunning as the anime, and the art style is strange to get used to. As time goes on, however, you can definitely see an evolution in the art style (the character designs get closer to their anime counterparts and the detail gets better). It can also be hard reviewing over something you've already seen and know what happens, but there are minute differences here and there to keep you entertained.

Personally, I much prefer the storyline of the manga and where it's going after the anime and the manga diverged. At first, I disliked the last third of the anime and really didn't care for the ending, but now I kinda like it and appreciate it for what it is... but it still isn't as good or interesting as the manga.

I notice from watching FMA and Soul Eater that Bones picks one or two themes presented in the manga and sticks with it throughout their anime adaption ("Touka Koukan" in FMA and "sound soul/mind/body" in Soul Eater); and then they'll really focus on that theme to help drive them through their Gecko Ending. Overall, they've done a pretty good job.

I personally felt they handled FMA better though than Soul Eater. FMA always had a dark underlying tone throughout the series, so that when it went all "serious" mode the shock wasn't as off-puting. The pace did hit overdrive once the anime-original episodes came into play, but that was the only big difference I came to notice.

Soul Eater, however, was different. I'll spoiler tag my discussion just in case (and I won't go into details about the manga for those who haven't read it yet): spoiler[SE always had an underlying humor to it. The series got serious when it needed to, but the humor wasn't ever far behind. Once the series hit anime-original, the sudden "serious" heavy tone threw me off. Yes, the animators tried to throw in some humor here and there, but it was lackluster (well, other than Shinigami with his giant Robo, that was genius). All throughout Kid's episode of searching for the Magic Tool I was waiting for more symmetry jokes, but it only ever happened once. Disappointing.

Maka's emo-angst episodes were annoying, especially since she never went through anything of that caliber in the manga. Someone might argue against me in case of the newest chapters, but even I don't think those few chapters reached the same sort of magnitude... besides she became inspired by the actions and events around her and snapped herself out of it - Soul had to literally tell her how much of an idiot she was in the anime and give a short, "inspiring" speech for her to wake up from her internal woe-is-me, pity-party. And also, WTF was with that? Say a few words and suddenly all of the issues go away? WTF? It was stupid and disappointing.

And afterwards, we get supahangry!Maka who likes to yell and jump into things a lot without thinking. It's like switching from one extreme to another. Not to say she isn't an emotional person in the manga, but she's generally more collected than suddenly degenerating into a piss-on-your-shoes, nutso, screamo harpy. Maybe it's because I don't have to listen to the yelling in the manga when it happens. But I'll take Maka's "I'm stronger than you. So there," over her "MEEEEDUUSAAAAA! RAAAAAWR! DIIIIIIEEEE!" any day.

And WTF happened to Soul? He suddenly became a background character once the anime-only episodes kicked in. His reactions to situations are mostly non-existent. Other than the second-to-last episode, he only makes himself known when Maka is doing something insane or stupid in order to inject some modem of sanity or snark.

And that's probably my biggest beef with the anime. The partnership between Maka and Soul took a backseat. Their friendship/tag-team-duoness... it's just not really explored. It's like the animators accepted that the meister/weapon partnership is there, but they don't go further than just acknowledging its existence. Soul is Maka's weapon, he fights with her. Done.

This is pretty much repeating what AWO already stated. The manga focuses on the strength of teamwork, specifically with the meister/weapon dynamic. Maka and Soul aren't strong enough on their own, but are extremely strong together. The anime throws this out the window and focuses more on the individual at the end. Bones did this in order to really drive home the theme they had chosen to wrap this series around - "sound soul/mind/body". So, in the end, they accomplished what they were going for, but at the sacrifice of other manga-important themes, character interactions, and character development. Also, the execution was kinda shoddy with the ending being so corny: "I am Fear, I exist in everyone's heart"; "I am Courage, I also exist in everyone's heart"; "the true strength comes from the person's heart"; "let's believe in Maka's Courage, for she shall save us all with her Mighty Courageous Fist!" I don't know how many times I rolled my eyes during the last episode. It just felt so contrived and lame.

And prior to the last episode, the anime focused on relationships between characters other than the meister/weapon dynamic. Maka and Crona, Kid and his father, Black Star and... okay, well, technically himself (like always) and his issues with Mifune but his partnership with Tsubaki wasn't really a deciding factor in any of his decisions. The weapons have basically been kicked to the wings of the stage to observe everything.

The manga, on the other hand, does look at other relationships and the resolve/strength of the individual, but never loses sight of the core meister/weapon bond, which I so much more prefer.

So, yeah, overall, I prefer where the story of the manga is going, I prefer it's execution, and I prefer how the characters and their interactions with each other are portrayed. The anime wrapped up decently enough, but sacrificed several things to get there (which leaves it lacking IMO).]

I'll give props where it's due though. The animation is stunning, the music is some of the best I've heard in a while, the fight scenes are well-choreographed and amazing to watch, and the first half of the series is really strong (other than episode 17... gawd, episode 17).

And I'll shut up now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5