• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Monster Rancher - would you buy It?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AmishGramish

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:25 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
I was just thinking, Samurai Pizza Cats was recently announced to have two separate sets, one for dub and one for sub, and a lot of reactions seemed to be either "I'm totally buying at least one, probably the dub" or "I'm totally buying both, but probably the dub first". And Robotech did this for not one, but three Japanese shows (and yes, I totally bought them all in both dub and eventually sub, so I can't even say I wouldn't do it again for sure if it's a show I really like). So, maybe not the ideal solution to get it all out in one chunk, but fans of a show won't mind buying both it seems.

If it actually can be done on one set with separate video feeds, that would be sweet too, but it would certainly make changing from one track to the other difficult. One disc for dub and one for sub in the same set could work (Rental Magica did this with chronological vs broadcast order if I'm not mistaken), but if fans are willing to pay for both, it seems like two sets might be feasible too. But if putting both on there might make the video look less good, people will almost certainly complain (I'm just remembering Toradora here, and heck, the Brony community seems to notice absolutely every single animation error in every episode), so yeah, I'd expect people to go through it with a fine toothed comb now that things don't look like VHSs anymore. It might cost a bit more, but it might also be safer as lots of complaining people will lead to needing to smooth up the discs then replace them (for free) while hurting sales in the interim (Toradora people all demanded disc replacements, and iirc, they got them too), and refusal to attempt to do so will likely result in boycott. Whelp, anyway, that's my 2cents on dub and sub for a series that changes footage.

I have thought about that, but it would bring the number of products to be manufactured and sent through QA from three to six. This would increase the costs by about 25-50%, so it's not necessarily that "bad," but it would decrease profitability.

If each season would sell for $40 including both audio/video tracks, then each separate audio/video track would cost about $25-30. So, fans who wanted both would end up spending $50-60, and not much more would be going to pay for royalties and manufacturing expenses.

As for audio/video quality, I'd try to make sure it's as high as can be. So, 73 episodes, each with two separate audio/video track would take up a lot of DVDs, but that's the only way to be true to the series and keep the most fans happy. With Monster Rancher, I've heard a lot of people talking about wanting to see both versions, so it just seems to me like it would be going backwards.
Remember when you had to buy every single anime in two episode increments on VHS or three to four episode increments on DVD? Making fans pay a little higher up front greatly decreases advertising, manufacturing, distribution, etc. expenses and helps fans purchase more of the entertainment that they love.
vashna

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Since there has been all this talk about distribution costs, would it be more profitable to only use Hulu as the distribution method? Both cuts could be hosted in their entirety without requiring the production of any extra discs. However, I'm not sure if this is a good way to make a profit, and it would naturally leave out those fans without the ability to access a high-speed connection to the Internet. There wouldn't be any need to produce DVDs though, which I'm assuming could cut production costs way down if you really did want to produce both versions of the show. I'm happy with just the dub, to be honest, if it means that I get to see Monster Rancher again.
AmishGramish

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:13 pm Reply with quote
vashna wrote:
Since there has been all this talk about distribution costs, would it be more profitable to only use Hulu as the distribution method? Both cuts could be hosted in their entirety without requiring the production of any extra discs. However, I'm not sure if this is a good way to make a profit, and it would naturally leave out those fans without the ability to access a high-speed connection to the Internet. There wouldn't be any need to produce DVDs though, which I'm assuming could cut production costs way down if you really did want to produce both versions of the show. I'm happy with just the dub, to be honest, if it means that I get to see Monster Rancher again.

The manufacturing costs are just something on top of the cost to make new digital masters of the show. That is the most expensive thing. (Converting two version of 73 episodes of a show to digital costs a decent chunk of change.)

I would like to keep the number manufactured close to demand, so as long as I can get enough people to order it right away, it shouldn't be much of a problem. That is a problem in and of itself, though.
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm wondering... Does this have anything to do with you or TMS just decided to do this on their own?

http://www.hulu.com/monster-rancher
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:10 am Reply with quote
I would love to have this series in my collection! It's a part of my childhood, I would also love to have an offical set of Beyblade, Digimon, and Yu-Gi-Oh.

Just as long as it won't be like Shout! and not release the rest of Medabots because of low sells, even though they have the rights to it all and have those other top selling series to back up the costs. It just blows for the people that bought it and can't finish the series.
sawcesome

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:39 am Reply with quote
I would love to own Monster Rancher.
AmishGramish

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 6:35 pm Reply with quote
ChibiGoku wrote:
I'm wondering... Does this have anything to do with you or TMS just decided to do this on their own?

http://www.hulu.com/monster-rancher

I'm just going to say that the deal with TMS wouldn't include streaming rights and also that the chances of profitably releasing Monster Rancher on DVD is now almost non-existent.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 4:29 pm Reply with quote
That isn't good news Sad. I was looking forward to buying this show on DVD.
vashna

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm awfully confused. I'm very happy that Monster Rancher has come to Hulu, and I admit that I will be watching it there since I always like to keep my anime viewing totally legal. However, does this mean that AmishGramish's previous proposal had nothing to do with it? I don't want to see anyone out of a job, of course, but I am glad that there is a way to view the series again. I'm just concerned that someone might have suffered financially because of all of this.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Wow, there is still people interested in Monster Rancher. I actually watched this series while the show aired on television. Truth be told, this was a product of the late 90's. Not exceptionally that outstanding, but a show worth watching though.

As a adult now, I am not sure I'd like as much as I did as a kid, but just for old memories sake, I wouldn't mind seeing this series again. Although I am not sure that will ever happen though.
AmishGramish

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:27 am Reply with quote
vashna wrote:
I'm awfully confused. I'm very happy that Monster Rancher has come to Hulu, and I admit that I will be watching it there since I always like to keep my anime viewing totally legal. However, does this mean that AmishGramish's previous proposal had nothing to do with it? I don't want to see anyone out of a job, of course, but I am glad that there is a way to view the series again. I'm just concerned that someone might have suffered financially because of all of this.

It's just a different situation between the six companies.
I still do hope to get licensing through, and there certainly is interest on the other side of the ocean.

I wouldn't mind to lose some money on this. Some, not all. Wink
Aoi_Sakaraba

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:03 am Reply with quote
Was there ever an uncut english release or am I stuck with watching the Japanese sub?
moonie92

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:56 pm Reply with quote
There is no uncut dub release of Monster Rancher. You are "stuck" watching the edited dub or the Japanese sub.
vashna

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Nevertheless, I should probably admit that I have been watching the cut English language dub regardless. It's nice to have an opportunity to watch this show again, and I've been viewing a few other shows from my childhood so I do like the option that I've been given. Admittedly, though, the English dub could have done without the "Unlock Your Disk" song. It always gets stuck in my head!
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Forgot all about this project! Sad to see that it won't be happening though Sad This is another of my much wanted uncut subbed boxsets.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5