• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chivalry of a Failed Knight (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:53 pm Reply with quote
I think I didn't understand it fully, or maybe the wording was so lacking that I had to fill things out myself, but why did Ikki refuse the offer? At first I expected a 'no' simply because Stella's kind of afflicted with the deadly japanese cold right now so maybe it's not the best time to get their sexy on, but Ikki went off on a tangent there about meeting her family or something. What I'm guessing is that they still don't tell people they're in a relationship, and Ikki wants to have people recognize them as a couple before they get serious? And the reason they don't tell people is because Ikki wants to accomplish something before that?
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:18 pm Reply with quote
^ To be honest I didn't quite get it either. I just took it as: "We're not ready for it". Ikki just doesn't want to rush things. The reason they don't tell other people is because they are not ready. They are still kind of awkward around each other and amidst all this other stuff that has been happening they haven't had all that much time to spend time together.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:15 pm Reply with quote
It'd be a huge scandal if it got out that a princess was dating a commoner. That's the main reason they're keeping it secret.

Ikki has a more traditional background so he probably still holds the belief that sex out of wedlock is considered disgraceful. Hense why if he gave into temptation he wouldn't be able to look her parents in the eye.

Old fashioned as it may be, it is the right decision. Have sex too soon and it becomes a relationship founded on sex instead of emotional attachment. This is especially true for teenagers (see School Days).

I know many will criticise Ikki for being a "pussy" for not J-J-Jamming it in at the earliest opportunity but for me this is the way it should be. He has his morals and has the strength of will to stick to them despite the temptations.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
It'd be a huge scandal if it got out that a princess was dating a commoner. That's the main reason they're keeping it secret

Oh yeah, I constantly keep forgetting that she's a princess.

Vaisaga wrote:
Old fashioned as it may be, it is the right decision. Have sex too soon and it becomes a relationship founded on sex instead of emotional attachment. This is especially true for teenagers (see School Days)

I'd argue that School Days is a bad example because spoiler[unlike Ikki, Makoto wasn't really serious about any of the girls. He lost interest after the initial crush.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:36 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
I think I didn't understand it fully, or maybe the wording was so lacking that I had to fill things out myself, but why did Ikki refuse the offer?

I got the feeling that from what he said was that he wanted their relationship to be based on more than lust. Not something that would affect everyone, Stella's dialogue to herself seems to say that it was something she is interested in, but understandable also from Ikki who's main goal is to prove that he is more than others expect, and so he has put that into his relationship.

Good that the random sneeze out of nowhere was actually foreshadowing rather than some throw away line playing on the tired old someone is talking about them thing. I recently had a cold after not having one for quite some time, it felt pretty awful.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:35 am Reply with quote
I think he made all that up so he wouldn't feel like he was taking advantage of someone too weak to unhook a front clasp bra, too naive to know you can't get pregnant from a kiss, and who seems baffled by an erection. Girl is not ready for sex, and it would have been really lousy for both of them.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:56 am Reply with quote
good thing too, cause getting smashed to death by a rock golum mid coitus would totally suck
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:25 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I think he made all that up so he wouldn't feel like he was taking advantage of someone too weak to unhook a front clasp bra, too naive to know you can't get pregnant from a kiss, and who seems baffled by an erection. Girl is not ready for sex, and it would have been really lousy for both of them.

Yeah, it's pretty astonishing they could reach that age and Stella is still so stupifyingly ignorant of even the most basic aspects of sex, not to mention of basic health issues, like what colds and fevers are.

And please, no one say that it's because she lived a sheltered life. This series takes place in the 21st Century. There is this thing called the Internet. If she was that interested in Ikki, then the most basic thing to do is look up info about it if you're too embarassed to ask anyone. Some people may view their awkwardness as "cute", but it fills me with contempt and disdain, and yeah, I am one of those guys who thought that Ikki's response to the whole thing was pathetic. You don't need to go the whole way with her, he's not even willing to do anything with her. Yeah, I know about the whole Japanese PDA thing, but they weren't in public, and it's not like she'll die if he kisses her, sick or not sick.

Frankly, I just hate the whole trope and, unlike some previous commenters, DO NOT think it is very typical of teenagers (certainly not teenaged males given the go-ahead by a hot girl).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:53 am Reply with quote
I think this is the first time I've seen someone in anime catch cold before they got rained on.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:34 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Yeah, I know about the whole Japanese PDA thing, but they weren't in public, and it's not like she'll die if he kisses her, sick or not sick.

She had the deadly Japanese cold. You don't kiss someone with the deadly Japanese cold, because you'll catch it too if you do that. It's one of those things anime characters have to be really careful about.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:53 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
And please, no one say that it's because she lived a sheltered life.

More like it's because she's a muscle head who spent most of her life training. Honestly I'd chalk up her comments more to her illness making her a bit delirious more than anything.

Besides, not everyone has internet access. Perhaps her strict princess upbringing banned her from going online. If not, it's not as if the internet is the cure for ignorance. There's still a ton of people dumb enough to think vaccines cause autism despite much proof online to the contrary.

Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Yeah, I know about the whole Japanese PDA thing, but they weren't in public, and it's not like she'll die if he kisses her, sick or not sick.

They kiss all the time. This situation specifically is about having sex with her.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:30 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
They kiss all the time. This situation specifically is about having sex with her.

I must've just missed all the previous times they performed a lip-lock. I was under the impression they weren't doing that on a regular basis.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:48 am Reply with quote
Well, they do get interrupted a lot, but they still attempt it. Outside of their first at the pool, there was one at night in their room, pretty sure when they were discussing Ayase's cheating.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:03 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

I was going to complain about the obviousness of how this fight was going to end. That of course the spoiler[sister was going to lose against this character we learned was so strong so we know that there would be high stakes for the main character]. After being a bit disappointed with this week's episode of Asterisk wars, which is also doing a tournament (RWBY has been doing better), I felt there was not much to look forward to, especially with as I said above that narratively it was going to go one way. But I was actually really surprised.

The battle was actually really good, It started slowly but surely really built up momentum that it had me totally engrossed when it was reaching its climax. Really enjoyed the episode, maybe one of the coolest fights of the season. I liked the perception thing too, I really could not understand what they were saying in how it is performed, but it is true that most of what we see at any one time is just our mind's filling in the blanks. So it was interesting for something that takes advantage of that instead of just calling it lightning speed. Also yes, pure water does not conduct electricity.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:42 am Reply with quote
If you're gonna Worf some one, this is the way to do it. She might have lost but she didn't make it easy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7