• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Stream Puella Magi Madoka Magica Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:40 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Even back when the market was mostly singles I can't remember having to pay this much for a series.

Well I do remember paying this much. I can do the maths, can you do the maths? Volume One + Artbox of any series was usually NZ$40, then Volumes Two, Three and Four were NZ$30 each. That's NZ$130 for a one-cour series. Back then the exchange rate was roughly seventy cents to the dollar, which means it would have cost about US$91. And low and behold, the DVD releases with the automatic RightStuf discount are US$30 each. There's still shipping on top of that, but then I also had to pay for petrol and parking when I got my DVDs from a brick and mortar store, so it probably would work out cheaper and more convenient for you.

Man, talk about the feelings of entitlement from fans these days. This is the best Anime series in years, and people are refusing to pay such reasonable prices. It's ridiculous.

That's just the way fans are in this day/age I used to act the same the way until I manned up. Why should pay for something when I can get it for free mentality is rampant with most 13-20 year old anime fans. This is the reason higurashi will never see another release here in any format other than the vn or manga >_>
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
[Go to TRSI. They have the normal edition Blu-Ray/DVD for 40 bucks.

I just checked, the DVD is $30 the BR is $40. There is no combo pack.

Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
That's just the way fans are in this day/age I used to act the same the way until I manned up. Why should pay for something when I can get it for free mentality is rampant with most 13-20 year old anime fans. This is the reason higurashi will never see another release here in any format other than the vn or manga >_>

Excuse me do not put words in my mouth. I never said I expect anime to be free or I don't want to pay for it.

However I do not think the cost is reasonable for the content that I am getting compared to what I do and have paid for other anime series in the North American market.
Altacia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:20 pm Reply with quote

However I do not think the cost is reasonable for the content that I am getting compared to what I do and have paid for other anime series in the North American market.

Agree with this 100%.

Glad someone else feels this way as well.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:22 pm Reply with quote

If because of that you do not buy at that price, you are part of the market lower down the demand curve than the price point that the distributor picked.

Comparing just two price points ~ say $60 and $120 ~ the amount of revenue sacrificed due to lower sales volume when the price is raised from P1 to P2 is P1*[Q1-Q2]. And the amount of revenue gained on increased price per unit is Q2*[P2-P1]. if the cost, including production costs and up-front risks such as risk of losses on unsold inventory and the like are C1 and C2, then ...

if: P1*[Q1-Q2] > Q2*[P2-P1] + [C1-C2] ... then its a bad price decision.

If: P1*[Q1-Q2] < Q2*[P2-P1] + [C1-C2] ... then its a good price decision.

For $60 and $120, its: $60*[Q1-Q2] vs Q2*$60 + [C1-C2]

... so if the reasonably expected increase in quantity sold at $60 is bigger than the reasonably expected sales at $120 plus the reasonably expected cost savings of a smaller release, then they've made an unreasonable price decision and should have priced it at $60.

Now, if they priced it at $120 and didn't allow any other access in the North American market, I'd reckon that is unreasonable behavior, since people willing to pay $120 for a single-broadcast-season series are not going to be affected by the fact its available for streaming for some indefinite period of time ... but they did decide to stream it, so bully for them.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Whether something is reasonably priced or not is in the eye of the wallet holder. I'm paying $225 to get all three Madoka volumes. I'm not happy about the price, but it is a hair under my "unacceptable" line in the sand. Personally, I think they are asking too much for them, but obviously my desire to own the sets outstrips my "screw you, Aniplex" feeling.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:31 pm Reply with quote
@agila61

I will say the fact that they are streaming the series on CR is a nice thing. It's not the same thing as owning the DVDs but at least now I can legitmately re-watch the series and see if I want to buy the DVDs at a cost which I think is overpriced (please note I most likely will but I won't be happy with paying the cost).

I think my whole point was not whether an individual thought Madoka was worth the cost because they felt it was the best series they ever saw but whether Madoka alone was worth more than other anime series on the market. That is the main point I disagree with.

And I don't think I am being entitled for saying this. I even made a comparison with another series "House of Five Leaves" saying I felt I was getting more content for half the cost (just minus a dub).
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:15 pm Reply with quote
... I think my whole point was not whether an individual thought Madoka was worth the cost because they felt it was the best series they ever saw but whether Madoka alone was worth more than other anime series on the market. That is the main point I disagree with. ...

I think my whole point is that anime is commercial media. If they didn't hope to make money, they wouldn't make it in the first place. A series may be well worth a particular price for one person, barely worth it for a second person, and nowhere near worth it to a third person ... but whether its a reasonable price rests on whether its the price that can be reasonably be expected to pull the maximum total amount of revenue from the market.

I don't know if the price is reasonable, since I don't know the elasticity of demand for a series like this at $60, $90 and $120. Its certainly out of my price range, but then, those are the breaks.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
[Go to TRSI. They have the normal edition Blu-Ray/DVD for 40 bucks.

I just checked, the DVD is $30 the BR is $40. There is no combo pack.

Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

Excuse me do not put words in my mouth. I never said I expect anime to be free or I don't want to pay for it.

it's fairly reasonable for the content at hand, as much as dman hates oreimo at least none of us is going to pay 500 dollars for a set. You want to talk about price gouging with limited edition sets this is where you complain.

On to something else I did collect 13 of the card captor sakura single dvds from genon and that was the only way to do so before the clow book came out. Do you know that it cost me a total of 390 dollars for just little of half the series alone?? This is a deal no matter how you want to spin it bro, just set some money aside and buy them when you can why is that so hard??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Since I can't delete this post anymore just saying I am editing my reply to Cecilthedarkknight_234 because I don't want to continue debating, my apologies.

Last edited by Maidenoftheredhand on Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Okay, dude. We get it. You think Madoka is over-priced. You don't need to CONSTANTLY state it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:32 pm Reply with quote
yuna:
Quote:
I've thought all along that Aniplex's strategy for Madoka presumed the existence of widespread illegal distribution and priced the product accordingly.

Has nothing to do with fansubs. They got extra copies they need to sell off, since the Japanese ain't buying it. Probably explains what's going on with R.O.D. TV, to. But then those boxsets had insane prices. Either that, or Aniplex blew more money on those Madoka movies than expected, and they're worried they'll bomb, Berserk-style.

Quote:
Given the reaction to Madoka in the fansub community, Aniplex could plausibly reason that demand was sufficiently intense to insure that a high-priced release would nevertheless still sell well in R1.

If you're talking about LEs, those were always gonna sell. It's the regular editions which haven't been profitable.

agila:
Quote:
No, they couldn't, because the original rights owner did not give them the streaming license.

More like they had to scam people into at least buying the first volume, so that they couldn't not buy the rest, unless they were ok with an incomplete set. I'm in the latter group. They pulled the same shit with Garden of Sinners that the box version was going to be the only release, until they hinted about a cheaper edition down the line.

dtm:
Quote:
Man, talk about the feelings of entitlement from fans these days.

Well, for that same money, you can get a series at least twice as long. Hell, I just got all of Escaflowne and Video Girl Ai used for a third of that money.

Cecil:
Quote:
Why should pay for something when I can get it for free mentality is rampant with most 13-20 year old anime fans.

I'm willing to pay for something. But I don't like that something being devalued before I even finish it. At least Right Stuf was nice enough to stream Dirty Pair and Utena after I bought 'em all. And I'm not upset about it, because I got an upgrade from my prior releases and a show I never thought I'd see here. Madoka, on the other hand, was inevitably going to get an R1 release, and is not a show I necessarily want to pay a premium for in any fashion.

As for Cardcaptor Sakura, they did eventually release those in affordable boxsets.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Okay, dude. We get it. You think Madoka is over-priced. You don't need to CONSTANTLY state it.

Even though your comment was rudely stated you are right I am being repetitive and I should just let it go.

I sincerely hope everyone who bought the series enjoys their purchase.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:12 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Yet, at the same time, I am not going to pay what Aniplex is asking: $120 to own a 13-episode series is way too much for me.

Actually, it's only twelve episodes. But you can get the DVD release, I think that should be under US$100 for all three sets (excluding shipping).

You're looking at it completely the wrong way. This isn't just any show. If this was something boring or normal then maybe it would be too much money. But you're getting more quality in this one show that you would in several great shows combined. Therefore, that makes the show exceedingly good value for money.

So yeah, stop focusing on how many episodes you are getting for your money and instead consider how much awesomeness you are getting. When you look at it that way, the show goes from being a bit pricey (for today's fans) to being a massive bargain. PMMM is the sort of show that makes me glad to be an Anime fan. It's the sort of show that makes all those long hard slogs through countless mediocre shows worth it.

Do not delay, buy today.

One of the reasons why I wont buy it for that much is that I don't want to support Aniplex's decision on the price-point they chose for this series. If I buy it, Aniplex will take that as a go-ahead to put out other products at the same level. My only real "voice" with Aniplex is that of my wallet. When they release the series (hopefully in one boxset) for a more reasonable price, I'll tell them I approve by buying it.

Also, if there is a DVD and a BD release of the same product, I'll get the BD release. I have a 46" 1080P TV and a Blu-ray player. When I talk about "ideal" viewing, I'm talking about making full use of both of those items.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
One of the reasons why I wont buy it for that much is that I don't want to support Aniplex's decision on the price-point they chose for this series.

That mentality baffles me, but mostly it just pisses me off.

Imagine these were cars we were talking about. Let's say Honda has a base model aimed at the average consumer costing $20,000, and you buy each generation of it as it comes out. Then one year they release a supercar version for $30,000 that outstrips the base model in every conceivable way. Would you throw a fit because it is more expensive, or would you greedily buy ten cars because you're getting a supercar for a measly $30,000? You would buy the better model.

It isn't a strawman or anything. You would buy a DVD of a crappy show for US$20.00, but not a DVD of an awesome show for US$30.00. It doesn't make sense.
Altacia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Meh, Does anyone really care about who thinks it's worth what? No.

It's over with, The prices were set and there's nothing anyone can do. Everyone has their own opinion of the show and it should be left at that.

No one's correct, No one's wrong.

It just is the way it is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10