• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Stream Puella Magi Madoka Magica Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ingraman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:14 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
yuna:
Quote:
I've thought all along that Aniplex's strategy for Madoka presumed the existence of widespread illegal distribution and priced the product accordingly.

Has nothing to do with fansubs. They got extra copies they need to sell off, since the Japanese ain't buying it.

Extra copies of _what_ that the Japanese aren't buying? You said that in a post in the Madoka/Crackle/Hulu thread, but you didn't mention a title there, either (although Animerican14 was writing about Madoka, which is appropriate given the thread topic). People are talking about Madoka Magica here. Madoka sold very well in Japan. Which series are you referring to? If it is Madoka that you're thinking of (but given what you wrote, that doesn't seem to be correct), how many people over here do you think are interested in buying non-translated Madoka? Aniplex has produced a product for the American market. These are not "extra copies."

Quote:
Probably explains what's going on with R.O.D. TV, to. But then those boxsets had insane prices.

What's going on with R.O.D? Those were made-for-America, too, although given the discount that was provided prior to Xmas on TRSI, they probably did produce too many of them. The US Blu-ray set was the Japanese set minus the commentaries and plus English audio and subtitles if comments on an old AoD thread are correct.

Quote:
Either that, or Aniplex blew more money on those Madoka movies than expected, and they're worried they'll bomb, Berserk-style.

Probably not...

Quote:
agila:
Quote:
No, they couldn't, because the original rights owner did not give them the streaming license.

More like they had to scam people into at least buying the first volume, so that they couldn't not buy the rest, unless they were ok with an incomplete set.

Scam them? Many people seem to blind buy on occasion. I'll do it for some import movies and one-shot OVAs, but I don't remember the last TV series (or US anime release) I picked up without having watched it in some form. Fansubs of Madoka Magica were out there, along with a lot of talk about the series, plus reviews. I do wonder how much knowledge those who pre-ordered the first disc of Madoka had about the series prior to making the order.

Quote:
They pulled the same shit with Garden of Sinners that the box version was going to be the only release, until they hinted about a cheaper edition down the line.

I think that they have yet to say more about the cheaper edition of Kara no Kyoukai, so we don't know if it's going to happen and if it will be on Blu-ray, DVD, or both (VHS? ^_^; ).

Quote:
dtm:
Quote:
Man, talk about the feelings of entitlement from fans these days.

Well, for that same money, you can get a series at least twice as long. Hell, I just got all of Escaflowne and Video Girl Ai used for a third of that money.

You make that sound like a surprise. Used anime is cheap! Wow! I probably paid a little less for new Escaflowne TV the third time around than I'd be paying to buy the US Madoka LE release, and I'm probably about to pay about twice as much as the Madoka LEs to buy Escaflowne TV for the fourth time.

Quote:
Cecil:
Quote:
Why should pay for something when I can get it for free mentality is rampant with most 13-20 year old anime fans.

I'm willing to pay for something. But I don't like that something being devalued before I even finish it.

Do you think that more releases should be like Aniplex USA's OreImo, which sold out before demand was satisfied. That keeps it from becoming devalued.

You're really only being this negative to troll this specific thread, right? You're being far too harsh on both the series, it's US release, and Aniplex USA.
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:14 pm Reply with quote
@dtm42
I can understand his contention even though I bought the LEs myself.

Using your car analogy it is more accurate to say that the issue is more like Honda pricing their base models at $40,000, mid range at $60,000 and high end at $100,000. Because with Aniplex, the entire PMMM price range is higher at $90, $120, and $225. Aniplex isn't offering any stripped down version comparable to what all other licensees offer.

Anyways, value is subjective so if some people don't think it's worth it--for whatever reason, whether they dislike it or disagree with (or wish to discourage) pricing--then there's really nothing more to say. Maybe they'll succeed in some markets and fail in others, regardless of whatever you or I or anyone else thinks about the quality or its "worth". Still I think it's good that Aniplex is offering multiple price points, even if they are more expensive.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:23 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Still I think it's good that Aniplex is offering multiple price points, even if they are more expensive.

They're not that much more expensive, not with the automatic discount RightStuf puts on to every customer. We're not talking about an amount that is going to break the bank.

But yeah, you'd think with the multiple price points that people would just shut up and be grateful. Aniplex could have easily made this an exclusive release with <1000 copies up for grabs. Garden of Sinners had only 800 sets on sale, and all of them were snapped up fast. It would have been so easy for them to have gone the same route with PMMM, so people whining about the price really bug me.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:53 am Reply with quote
Ingraman:
Quote:
People are talking about Madoka Magica here. Madoka sold very well in Japan. Which series are you referring to? If it is Madoka that you're thinking of (but given what you wrote, that doesn't seem to be correct), how many people over here do you think are interested in buying non-translated Madoka? Aniplex has produced a product for the American market. These are not "extra copies."

Please. People hack DVDs all the time nowadays. So it's pretty easy for an R2 company to just add English subs to discs it wants to get rid of, because it overshot on its sales estimates. And those subs, even if accurate, look exactly like they were layed on the screen by a Japanese company. They take up a big chunk of the middle of the screen and are clumped together.

Quote:
What's going on with R.O.D? Those were made-for-America, too, although given the discount that was provided prior to Xmas on TRSI, they probably did produce too many of them.

No one's buying R.O.D., because those damned sets are more expensive than just buying used singles of the original DVDs. And I find it hard to believe they were geared to American audiences, knowing that there wasn't even a real demand for that show in America.

Quote:
The US Blu-ray set was the Japanese set minus the commentaries and plus English audio and subtitles if comments on an old AoD thread are correct.

So that makes it an even bigger rip-off.

Quote:
Probably not...

Quote:
Scam them? Many people seem to blind buy on occasion.

Yeah, they do blind buy, but they wouldn't have gotten Madoka if they knew it was streaming a day after the first DVD/BD release.

Quote:
Fansubs of Madoka Magica were out there, along with a lot of talk about the series, plus reviews.

Perhaps, but people who prefer to do things legit for the sake of the industry still exist. And if they pay good money for a show which a company is gonna stream the next day, then it's really just encouraging them to go the fansub route to spite that company. I know that, eventually, same-day screenings, streamings, burnings, and DVD purchases will become a reality. But until then, at least provide some incentive to collectors who still buy packaged media. Don't make them feel like they overpaid for a show which may not necessarily have been worth the extra cost, even if they like it.

Quote:
I think that they have yet to say more about the cheaper edition of Kara no Kyoukai, so we don't know if it's going to happen and if it will be on Blu-ray, DVD, or both (VHS? ^_^; ).

It'll happen. Those LE sets might have sold out, but that production must still have cost way more than Aniplex got back on it, if they're still charging for steaming.

Quote:
You make that sound like a surprise. Used anime is cheap!

Yes, but these are used anime with more episodes than an average disc of Madoka. And one of them's OOP, and the other one might soon follow. And I still got a good deal out of 'em.

Quote:
Do you think that more releases should be like Aniplex USA's OreImo, which sold out before demand was satisfied. That keeps it from becoming devalued.

I don't care about Oreimo, but the people who saw it legally on CR and who then wanted to own it got their money's worth. Maybe it should have been stocked better, for people who missed out, and who wanted the sets. But at least you can see it, before you put down money on it.

OTOH, not everyone who got the Madoka LEs did so, because they were fans of the show, or even knew what it was about. They got it, because they wanted the best version of the bunch. And then they realize they could have waited it out to decide. That they're just subsidizing unnecessary pack-ins to a show they could have seen for free. It certainly does make their purchase less valuable.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't care about Oreimo, but the people who saw it legally on CR and who then wanted to own it got their money's worth. Maybe it should have been stocked better, for people who missed out, and who wanted the sets. But at least you can see it, before you put down money on it.

OTOH, not everyone who got the Madoka LEs did so, because they were fans of the show, or even knew what it was about. They got it, because they wanted the best version of the bunch. And then they realize they could have waited it out to decide. That they're just subsidizing unnecessary pack-ins to a show they could have seen for free. It certainly does make their purchase less valuable.

well I do that's the downside of not having a job/being out of work. Yes oreimo is legally on cr but only 12 episodes 4 have been cut out that have a better overall ending for the series and if you don't have 500 dollars to buy a priced gouged box-set then your out of luck unless you go the other method ahem.. yeah. Well I will be sure to check this out every-week at least it will be worth my money.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vracer111

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:01 am Reply with quote
Did a blind buy on the PMMM Blu-Ray Regular edition Volume 1 based on all I have heard about the show and that I can always sell it and get the money back. Was thinking of maybe saving some money and getting the regular edition DVD release, but I just can't bring myself to get a DVD version when the Blu-Ray is available and the series is noted for its artwork. Would have been nicer to have known it was going to stream earlier (like before the first volume was bought/preordered a few days ago!), but what can you do.

Just finished watching the first episode on Crunchyroll and think I might like the show. It has a certain interesting air about it, and magical girl shows are not on my like list of anime genres. I know PMMM twists and gets darker as it goes on and basically stands the genre on it's head somewhat - that information is what really influenced my buy decision for Volume 1 actually. The Blu-Ray should be arriving any day now and I'll watch it properly on my HT system at full tilt... should be a really nice Blu-Ray based off the Crunchyroll HD stream and my mini-system connected to the laptop! At least the whole series will be able to be watched streamed before deciding if it's worth purchasing the remaining volumes as they are released.

Regarding R.O.D... I really wish the OVA was available separately on Blu-Ray because that's all I really want. There's no way I'm paying the going prices (even the 'sales' price ) for the complete set which the majority of it is a TV series I don't particularly like!
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:14 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Please. People hack DVDs all the time nowadays. So it's pretty easy for an R2 company to just add English subs to discs it wants to get rid of, because it overshot on its sales estimates. And those subs, even if accurate, look exactly like they were layed on the screen by a Japanese company. They take up a big chunk of the middle of the screen and are clumped together.

The idea of the Japanese distributor somehow recoding already produced DVD's from Region2 to Region1 and adding subtitles and an English disc menu ... is certainly creative. Insane, but creative.

You have a link on how its done with actual DVDs (not DVD-ROMs)?
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:34 am Reply with quote
agila:
Quote:
The idea of the Japanese distributor somehow recoding already produced DVD's from Region2 to Region1 and adding subtitles and an English disc menu ... is certainly creative. Insane, but creative.

What's insane about it? It saves money.

Quote:

I'm sure Justin knows.
bhl88

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:14 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:

However I do not think the cost is reasonable for the content that I am getting compared to what I do and have paid for other anime series in the North American market.

I'm surprised the other anime companies survived by low pricing (a difference from what the Japanese side wanted). CLANNAD for $50 (Amazon) for 24 episodes.... dunno if they can still get more after this.

(Completely bought the LE copies).
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:51 pm Reply with quote
bhl88 wrote:

However I do not think the cost is reasonable for the content that I am getting compared to what I do and have paid for other anime series in the North American market.

I'm surprised the other anime companies survived by low pricing (a difference from what the Japanese side wanted). CLANNAD for $50 (Amazon) for 24 episodes.... dunno if they can still get more after this. ...

Its all a question of volume. If dropping the price by 60% gives you triple the sales volume, its more gross revenue. If the extra revenue covers the extra royalties on the extra sales, extra production cost and extra risk of a larger volume release, then its more net revenue and the pricing that makes it easier to survive. IOW, FUNimation's answer to a title that according to their business model does not work at their main new release price point is "pass". And if someone else can make it work at some price point above that, well, "good luck with that".

Of course, the fact that it is affecting market expectations means that trying to establish the higher price points faces flack, but its not the job of the distributors that pick up the more mass market series to modify their price points in the interests of some other distributors that pick up titles that have less elastic demand where a premium price point is most lucrative.

However, Aniplex is going to judge the success of their strategy by their sales figures and how the revenue vs cost shakes out relative to expectations, not by whether it generates some flack in some online discussion forums. Indeed, if they know that they are going to face flack for the premium price point, one of the points in favor of streaming on Crunchyroll is that it gives them a flack defense talking point.

GATSU wrote:
agila:
Quote:

The suggestion that there is a process for taking an already molded DVD-ROM and "hacking" it. The Wikipedia machine says
Quote:
Pre-recorded DVDs are mass-produced using molding machines that physically stamp data onto the DVD. Such discs are known as DVD-ROM, because data can only be read and not written nor erased.
... so if that is incorrect and there is a way to write or erase a DVD-ROM, you need to go and edit its entry to let people know how its done.

Quote:
Quote:

I'm sure Justin knows.

So this procedure for "hacking" DVD-ROMS that have already been molded and converting them is ... something you don't actually know how its done? I take back what I said up there ~ find out before you edit the Wikipedia entry.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:22 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
agila:
Quote:

Quote:

I'm sure Justin knows.

I'm 100% confident that's never been done for the release of a Japanese produced disc. (Some R4/R3 distributors might have done something like that, though).

The DVD and blu-ray authoring houses used by the companies here in Japan would charge just as much even if they were reusing some other authoring.

Sure, you can decompile a DVD, add subtitles to it, add in a menu option, etc, and the recompile it up... That's not really possible with a blu-ray unless you have the original authoring suite project files (mainly because there's no open source way to decompile blu-ray programs as far as I know)

But q-tec and the other authoring houses charge per disc, not per "how much work it is for them".
Asking them to author a disc for International would be full price and wouldn't save anyone any money.
bhl88

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:13 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
bhl88 wrote:

I'm surprised the other anime companies survived by low pricing (a difference from what the Japanese side wanted). CLANNAD for $50 (Amazon) for 24 episodes.... dunno if they can still get more after this. ...

Its all a question of volume. If dropping the price by 60% gives you triple the sales volume, its more gross revenue. If the extra revenue covers the extra royalties on the extra sales, extra production cost and extra risk of a larger volume release, then its more net revenue and the pricing that makes it easier to survive. IOW, FUNimation's answer to a title that according to their business model does not work at their main new release price point is "pass". And if someone else can make it work at some price point above that, well, "good luck with that".

Of course, the fact that it is affecting market expectations means that trying to establish the higher price points faces flack, but its not the job of the distributors that pick up the more mass market series to modify their price points in the interests of some other distributors that pick up titles that have less elastic demand where a premium price point is most lucrative.

However, Aniplex is going to judge the success of their strategy by their sales figures and how the revenue vs cost shakes out relative to expectations, not by whether it generates some flack in some online discussion forums. Indeed, if they know that they are going to face flack for the premium price point, one of the points in favor of streaming on Crunchyroll is that it gives them a flack defense talking point.

It's just that I got worried about Bandai (who shrunk their operations).... wondering what the other casualties are (TOKYOPOP... who else) for low pricing.

When Aniplex marketing is successful (and is the only survivor)... the other companies will probably adapt that one (high limited edition pricing and imports).
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:34 pm Reply with quote
bhl88 wrote:
It's just that I got worried about Bandai (who shrunk their operations).... wondering what the other casualties are (TOKYOPOP... who else) for low pricing.

Bandai had very limited output in any event ~ if FUNimation, Sentai/Section23 or Viz get in trouble at their price points, that'd be when to worry.

Quote:
When Aniplex marketing is successful (and is the only survivor)...

If the additional volumes at the mainstream first release and budget price points falls away so its only at the premium price points where releases are viable ... then the market will move that way before Aniplex is the only survivor. That implies further shrinking of the market, and one might say that there'd be likely to be more physical distribution firms shaken out ahead, but it seems most of the survivors are working on their digital distribution as well and not banking on physical distribution alone for their survival.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:19 pm Reply with quote
agila:
Quote:
Pre-recorded DVDs are mass-produced using molding machines that physically stamp data onto the DVD. Such discs are known as DVD-ROM, because data can only be read and not written nor erased.

I didn't say erased. As for written, people do add shit to these discs, such as alternate tracks and commentaries. So no reason why subs should be a big problem.

samuel:
Quote:
I'm 100% confident that's never been done for the release of a Japanese produced disc.

So what about those Gurren Lagaan movies where they didn't even translate the booklets?

Quote:
The DVD and blu-ray authoring houses used by the companies here in Japan would charge just as much even if they were reusing some other authoring.

This is Aniplex, which is a division of Sony. They own the friggin' authoring houses.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:37 pm Reply with quote
You can't say how its done. You say Justin knows, but you don't. You are not even providing any proof, that this is done.

Why should we even believe you?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10