• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Kurenai TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:05 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Last I checked Clannad: Complete Collection was too a highly popular collection on BluRay and if 13 episode sets can be listed at 50 bucks a complete collection of 24 episodes for 90 bucks looks in line with industry standards.

with a 40% discount, also lets not fake ourselves into believing that an anime other then DBZ or pokemon is as popular as an international #1 best seller. because that is completely ridiculous

also the industry standard is between 60-70 tops. not 90
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:09 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Last I checked Clannad: Complete Collection was too a highly popular collection on BluRay and if 13 episode sets can be listed at 50 bucks a complete collection of 24 episodes for 90 bucks looks in line with industry standards.

Funi's Complete bluray sets like Phantom are also going for $75-$80 as well, and you often get stuck with illegible subs.

http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/CDlPQKWLdcnBB=wgdD/browse/item/93275/4/0/0

Regardless, I doubt I will ever pay $70 for a Funi set, as they don't have anything I would consider spending that much on. Sentai has a few shows I might spend that much, but even Clannad and Ghost Hound I was able to acquire for less than $50.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:41 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
ArsenicSteel wrote:

Funi's Complete bluray sets like Phantom are also going for $75-$80 as well, and you often get stuck with illegible subs.

http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/CDlPQKWLdcnBB=wgdD/browse/item/93275/4/0/0

Regardless, I doubt I will ever pay $70 for a Funi set, as they don't have anything I would consider spending that much on. Sentai has a few shows I might spend that much, but even Clannad and Ghost Hound I was able to acquire for less than $50.

your own link is $50
you can buy phantom for $45 and that is not a really popular title so of course it will probably cost more, you are also getting the DVD with that as well which you can generally sell for atleast $20 the two are not comparable in terms of cost in the slightest http://www.amazon.com/Phantom-Requiem-Blu-ray-DVD-Combo/dp/B005W2BWJ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330219553&sr=8-1

I think it is great that kureni actually got licensed though. hope to hear about if the ovas are included or not soon

Last edited by Tanteikingdomkey on Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:48 pm Reply with quote
He's talking about MSRP which is what the guy compaining about Clannad BD set ($90 MSRP) but only $53 at TRSI.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
He's talking about MSRP which is what the guy compaining about Clannad BD set ($90 MSRP) but only $53 at TRSI.

I am only using it as an example they have the right to charge what they want for blurays. but that choice shows if they follow the old fashioned industry ways or are more in line with the rest of the remaining industry.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
ArsenicSteel wrote:

with a 40% discount, also lets not fake ourselves into believing that an anime other then DBZ or pokemon is as popular as an international #1 best seller. because that is completely ridiculous

also the industry standard is between 60-70 tops. not 90

Did I look like I was making a comparative statement when saying Clannad was highly popular? I was not, so don't try to niggle about shows that may be more popular for the hell of it.

If it is industry standard to price 13 episodes sets at 50 bucks then 2 of those sets would be 26 episodes at a combined list price of 100 bucks. Clannad seems to follow that pricing plan before things like discounts are taken into account.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

I am only using it as an example they have the right to charge what they want for blurays. but that choice shows if they follow the old fashioned industry ways or are more in line with the rest of the remaining industry.

If they were following the old fashioned pricing, that bluray set would be $240+, which is about what I paid for many series in the mid-2000s including X TV, DN Angel, and others. Those were only on DVD. Funimation in fact continued with singles pricing like that longer than any R1 company. Bandai and Media Blasters stuck to singles longer, but theirs were generally cheaper.

I don't see how being $5 to $15 more expensive than some Funi series is out of touch with the market, especially when blurays sets like Clannad and Ghost Hound have been as low as $48. Other companies have releases priced comparably that never or hardly ever go on sale, like NISA and Aniplex.

Now if you said Aniplex's prices were out of touch with the North American market, I would have agreed, even though they are primarily import products.

Not to mention a lot of us are collectors and don't sell off our sets, even just the DVD portion. Personally I'd rather not pay extra for discs I will likely never use and small white subs that are difficult to read on many of their releases.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:44 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

If they were following the old fashioned pricing, that bluray set would be $240+, which is about what I paid for many series in the mid-2000s including X TV, DN Angel, and others. Those were only on DVD. Funimation in fact continued with singles pricing like that longer than any R1 company. Bandai and Media Blasters stuck to singles longer, but theirs were generally cheaper.

I don't see how being $5 to $15 more expensive than some Funi series is out of touch with the market, especially when blurays sets like Clannad and Ghost Hound have been as low as $48. Other companies have releases priced comparably that never or hardly ever go on sale, like NISA and Aniplex.

Now if you said Aniplex's prices were out of touch with the North American market, I would have agreed, even though they are primarily import products.

Not to mention a lot of us are collectors and don't sell off our sets, even just the DVD portion. Personally I'd rather not pay extra for discs I will likely never use and small white subs that are difficult to read on many of their releases.

I never said out of touch I said old fashioned. old fashioned is not a bad thing people. the way I see it funimation and S23 are going after slightly different audiences. Funimation seems to target 16-26 year olds while S23 seems to go after 20-30 year olds. I mean look at there big sellers Fairy Tail (funi) vs Clannad (S23). aniplex and NIS are going after niche buyers who want limited edition products. that and aniplex treats R1 the same as R2 to a extent.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:43 pm Reply with quote
This thread has gone from being about Sentai licensing Kure-nai to DVD subtitle coloring, to yelling at people because they are going to buy anime, to the price of DBZ, Clannad, and The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo BD boxsets.

Oh internet, you never let me down.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
This thread has gone from being about Sentai licensing Kure-nai to DVD subtitle coloring, to yelling at people because they are going to buy anime, to the price of DBZ, Clannad, and The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo BD boxsets.

Oh internet, you never let me down.

my bad lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:18 am Reply with quote
From the amount of posts this looks like good news. Didn't expect this series to get picked up. I heard a lot of good things about this series when it was running. Never got a chance to see it but wanted to. If they ever decided to release 'Bunny Drop' here, this show and that show would be worth putting side by side on your collection shelves.

Definitely looking forward to seeing [or owning] this.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

I never said out of touch I said old fashioned. old fashioned is not a bad thing people. the way I see it funimation and S23 are going after slightly different audiences. Funimation seems to target 16-26 year olds while S23 seems to go after 20-30 year olds. I mean look at there big sellers Fairy Tail (funi) vs Clannad (S23). aniplex and NIS are going after niche buyers who want limited edition products. that and aniplex treats R1 the same as R2 to a extent.

Clannad is probably one of Sentai's biggest sellers, but I'd think High School of The Dead is more popular. And I'd say DBZ is probably Funi's most popular, but the demographic is probably similar to Fairy Tale. But their prices are fairly comparable and are nearly identical when on sale. The only big difference I see is that Funimation will eventually release the series in a super cheap SAVE or Classic collection down the line, though some people will still complain that it's too expensive.

The same business plan doesn't work for every company. Samsung and Motorola both tried to copy the iPad business model when they launched their tablets but didn't succeed and had to resort to price cuts to move units. Some car companies have multiple brands like GM and Toyota, while others like Hyundai only have one or two. What works for Funimation may not work for Sentai, Nozomi, or NISA. That's just the way business is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7