• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New York Lists Media Blasters as Dissolved as of April 2011

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Divineking

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Oh the sky she is a fallin' Sad
Zilan

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Here's hoping Sentai or someone picks up Squid Girl season 2. :\

Can't say I'll miss media blasters. The constant screwing of their fans with cheap boxset announcements weeks after a show is released. And the latest with the Squid Girl season 1 blu-ray.

Good riddance.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Aw crap. Well, everyone knows the drill by now, go out and buy stuff before the prices skyrocket.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
Oh the sky she is a fallin' Sad

Well, if not the sky, then that old tree out back that had already lost most of its branches when that big storm passed through.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:20 pm Reply with quote
April 2011? That's over a year ago.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:27 pm Reply with quote
From the point of view from someone who actually files such forms for the out of state registrations for the company I work for, this really does not mean a whole lot. All it takes is to not file the form, and pay its associated fees and your company is considered inactive or dissolved in the eyes of that state. It has nothing to do with the financial health of a given company. It could be as simple as not wanting to pay some annual fees to save money.

That being said, I still am hoping Media Blaster pulls through these tough times they seem to be having.
superdry

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:29 pm Reply with quote
JohnnySake wrote:
From the point of view from someone who actually files such forms for the out of state registrations for the company I work for, this really does not mean a whole lot. All it takes is to not file the form, and pay its associated fees and your company is considered inactive or dissolved in the eyes of that state. It has nothing to do with the financial health of a given company. It could be as simple as not wanting to pay some annual fees to save money.

That being said, I still am hoping Media Blaster pulls through these tough times they seem to be having.

Can a company not pay the state fees and continue business because they are moving out of the state assuming MB is relocating?
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:30 pm Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
April 2011? That's over a year ago.

Yeah, this isn't a MEDIA BLASTERS IS DEAD story. This can't be good news though. Justin Sevakis was correct on the ANNCast awhile back, fans shouldn't wait on buying any MB property that they're interested in.
Saffire

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:36 pm Reply with quote
JohnnySake wrote:

The article says they're not supposed to be doing business though in their current status, yet they obviously have been...isn't that an issue?
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:36 pm Reply with quote
JohnnySake wrote:

IANAL, but I don't think "failure to file paperwork, therefore listed as inactive" is the same thing as "didn't pay taxes for two years so the state forcibly dissolved them as a corporate entity". If they really no longer legally exist, that would likely trigger the cancellation of most of their license agreements.
Aynslesa

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Man, that's daunting...I've been looking forward to those Fushigi Yuugi rereleases (that's one series I don't hesitate to double and triple dip on). Hope MB is able to pull through on this, but just to be on the safe side I better check the back catalog and make sure I don' have any incompletes hanging around.
BalmungHHQ

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:39 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
If they really no longer legally exist, that would likely trigger the cancellation of most of their license agreements.

Which doesn't seem to be the case though, since releases of theirs are still coming out. Their Squid Girl Blu-Rays shipped just a few weeks ago, and a lot of their other stuff is still being worked on, delays aside. So they're certainly still active, at least.

Not to mention this is from a year ago, and they've released plenty of new releases in the past year.
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:41 pm Reply with quote
The article does specify that the only business they can do after their dissolution is finishing up what was already in progress, so that they can basically clean up their mess before they go.

It's a shame. True, we've been seeing this coming for a while now, but it's no less a shame. They had some solid titles back in the day, and even before the end, they seemed to be picking up a little with stuff like Squid Girl and Moribito. They will be missed...now I just have to start browsing all the usual shopping sites to pick up those few titles I haven't gotten yet.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Yep, like most anime-related news stories this one is clear as mud in terms of explaining what this "news" actually means in practical terms.
BalmungHHQ

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Brainchild129 wrote:
The article does specify that the only business they can do after their dissolution is finishing up what was already in progress, so that they can basically clean up their mess before they go.

Except that they've done far more this past year than just "finish up what they have". They've announced new licenses (Fushigi Yugi), started new original projects (Shinobi Girl) and even started up new side-companies (Fever Dream llc.) for Media Blasters to be the parent company of.

Their actions barely reflect anything this article is implying, which is very odd.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 14