• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Towanoquon and Book of Bantorra -- any opinions?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lil Kis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Well I'm thinking about getting these shows and was wondering if their great shows to get or not...Any info? Any reviews by anyone that could rate describe how good or not so good they are before I purchase them?

They seem really interesting

Thanks again

[EDIT: Made your thread title a little more specific. -TK]
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Check the respective encyclopedia pages here on the website for the shows you want to know about. There are graphed user ratings from all of us who's seen them, and links to reviews if ANN has reviewed them.

As for my personal opinions I would definitely recommend Towanoquon, but Book of Bantora was a really badly executed mess that I'd advise against seeing.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:21 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen either, but I'm curious about both, especially The Book of Bantorra. Theron Martin reviewed the first and second half of the series for ANN, giving it his hesistant approval. For sterner dissent from Kruszer's assessment, try here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:47 pm Reply with quote
From that this about sums up the show perfectly:

Quote:
The Book of Bantorra, or Armed Librarians, is a very difficult show to digest. It does not always behave in comfortable or logical ways, which makes categorizing or reviewing it very difficult.

Also as the reviewer states, the first half of the series is totally frustrating, confounding, and in certain places, just damn boring. I was seriously walking the line of dropping this when I watched it.

The second half was better and somewhat redeems the show but it does not make up for the series' prior problems like massive pacing issues, and dull, mostly underdeveloped cast of characters. My main complaint was the characters actually, few were all that developed and fewer still were even all that likable. My second issue that jumps around way too much to the point where I could not deduce an central character(s) I was supposed to root for, like someone took a bunch of separate stories and threw them in a paper shredder and pieced together random bits from the pile and animated whatever came out. In the end I gave the series a mediocre rating which I thought it justly deserved, because it wasn't all bad, but it wasn't what I'd call good either.

So basically, you'll either like it or hate it, I guess.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:15 pm Reply with quote
I've seen both. I rated Towa no Quon as Very Good and The Book of Bantorra as Good.

Towa was enjoyable, but not wholly satisfying. TBoB is an acceptable means of passing times, but not much enjoyment beyond that.
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen either, but Erin reviewed Towa no Quon in Shelf Life last month.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
As for my personal opinions I would definitely recommend Towanoquon, but Book of Bantora was a really badly executed mess that I'd advise against seeing.

And I have the exact opposite view. I had to drop Towa no Quon when it reached trainwreck status around episode four, whereas Armed Librarians: The Book of Bantorra shook off a dodgy start and came together surprisingly well.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:01 am Reply with quote
Towanoquon: Seen 5 out of six episdoes as Anime Network was nice enought to skip the last one. 50 minutes episodic OVA series done in 6. Why would a 6 episode series be based on an episode to episode storytelling style is beyond me but there was something more akin to an overall plot in the last two, two and a half. It doesn't explain the point of the first four and its overall unambitious nature is frustrating.

Book of Bantorra Seen the first 12; Anime Network skipped 13 and 15 so I don't know if I should keep watching or what {A great service, I easily recommend it if you like people to remove whole chapters and endings from novels while you read them}. Ok, this series is ambitious and it tells both extended stories quite well and single episode stories somewhat ok. I don't like it but it's not as if I hate it. The characters, the situations, plots and the powers are all unrealistic even in terms of fantasy: A simple non-spoiler example, the most powerful being up to episode 12 is Ant-Man, something Henry Pym would love to learn. Why that is exactly is just one of the many problems of this series {My guess: Infinite ants; I don't know what it means or how it's possible. Making them while being able to control them makes even less sense}.

Oh, I despise the main character Hamutz and I root for her death in every episode; I don't know if that's a normal reaction or not though I've heard that she is suppose to border on villain protagonist. But they're all villains so I don't know what that means {I don't know if that's a spoiler as that's my assessment of the basic plot; Books are souls and Armed Librarians take it upon themselves to collect them, keep them, use them}.

If I had to recommend one of the two, I'd pick Book of Bantorra as I like Miropoc. Milepoch. Mirpoch...

The one with the blonde bob with allocated widow's peak. And Noloty so Bontarro wins with two characters to zero.
noigeL

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:51 am Reply with quote
I thought Towanoquon was solidly entertaining and if you're someone who likes well animated action anime I would certainly recommend it. The choreography for the fight sequences is pretty damn sweet. Storywise it's nothing we haven't seen before but the execution is quite competent so I don't regard this as a bad thing. Just don't go in expecting some huge plot twist you didn't see coming.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:30 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Kruszer wrote:

And I have the exact opposite view. I had to drop Towa no Quon when it reached trainwreck status around episode four, whereas Armed Librarians: The Book of Bantorra shook off a dodgy start and came together surprisingly well.

Well, your views are somewhat eccentric in my opinion. I can't really figure them out sometimes and sometimes they right on. And no that's not really meant as an insult.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:50 pm Reply with quote
As long as you remember that - generally speaking - I like what's good and hate what's bad, then there shouldn't be a problem in figuring out why I rate the way I do. Simple.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:12 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
As long as you remember that - generally speaking - I like what's good and hate what's bad, then there shouldn't be a problem in figuring out why I rate the way I do. Simple.

Everyone does those things though. Trouble is everyone's definitions of such subjective classifications are different.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:47 pm Reply with quote
@Kruszer I'm pretty certain dtm42 was saying it more like "what I say is fact. If I deem it good or bad, that is what it is."
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Rhyono wrote:
@Kruszer I'm pretty certain dtm42 was saying it more like "what I say is fact. If I deem it good or bad, that is what it is."

Why do half the people I come across respond with this sort of line? It's uncanny. Did I ever say that whatever I deem to be good or bad is actually good or bad? Did I ever claim that I am the ultimate arbitrator of Anime quality. No. No I did not. So why do people think that is what I'm saying?

What I actually said was that - generally speaking - if something is good I will like it, and if something is bad I will hate it.

Rhyono, I could tell you what Towa no Quon did bad and why it is worse than Armed Librarians: The Book of Bantorra, but is someone like you - who can't even read my posts properly - going to listen?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:30 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Rhyono wrote:

Why do half the people I come across respond with this sort of line? It's uncanny. Did I ever say that whatever I deem to be good or bad is actually good or bad? Did I ever claim that I am the ultimate arbitrator of Anime quality. No. No I did not. So why do people think that is what I'm saying?

Laughing Oh, please. Anyone who has read more than three of your posts knows what an arrogant ... person ... you are with respect to your opinions. Please drop this ridiculous, "gosh, I don't know where you are coming from" act because it's pretty puke-inducing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2