• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Lost Mission

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:49 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
animehermit wrote:

Turn based RPGs were more a limitation of the technology rather than what people actually wanted to play. Which is why you don't see many still being made today.

I would say turn based combat was more taken from old paper and pencil RPGs.

As an old-school RPG fan, I appreciate turn-based combat more unless the real-time combat system has you only controlling one person (solo games or something like the Tales combat system) or has a pause option to issue commands or use items (like Baldur's Gate).

Turn-based RPG's aren't really like pen'n'paper RPGs, though. Yes, both run off of turns, but in tabletop RPGs, combat often takes into account things like the surrounding enviroment, how far people are from each other, etc. Plus, you're not limited to a set list of commands. Wanna tackle the nearby enemy into a nearby lake to get him out of the way? Sure, go ahead.
Battle Cossack

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:35 am Reply with quote
First order of business: great interview Todd. For what it's worth, your subjects seem pretty earnest coming from the video game industry. I think collaborations between Eastern and Western developers are fascinating so this article was a very pleasant surprise.

The concept behind this latest Fabula Nova Crystallis entry has me daydreaming about the best parts of Devil May Cry and Majora's Mask, but at this point I'm somewhat weary of the baggage attached to the small franchise that Final Fantasy 13 has become.
DKL

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

Turn-based RPG's aren't really like pen'n'paper RPGs, though. Yes, both run off of turns, but in tabletop RPGs, combat often takes into account things like the surrounding enviroment, how far people are from each other, etc. Plus, you're not limited to a set list of commands. Wanna tackle the nearby enemy into a nearby lake to get him out of the way? Sure, go ahead.

I don't play tabletop stuff (probably due to laziness), but SRPGs are actually kind of like that (where positioning is taken into account).

Great example of this is probably Tactics Ogre (I like how detailed that game's system is, but god damn the friendly AI ruined it for me: why you run towards the enemy???).

Another example would probably be the Intelligent Systems stuff (Advance Wars, Fire Emblem).
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:05 pm Reply with quote
SRPG's get close, but you're still usually are restricted to a grid with a strict set of actions.

In a tabletop RPG, you can do pretty much anything as long as the GM allows it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3