• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Does anime have an influence on your personal character?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:26 pm Reply with quote
I just finished up another series and I started thinking just how much it reminds me of my years on this planet. Without realizing it, this series actually impacted me recently enough to get up and throw together a quick dinner for the family.

That series was Azumanga Daioh and it stuns me how well this thing just grabs me and doesn't let go. Every time I watch it, I'm in a great mood for days afterward.

Watching the friendship reminds me of my years in junior high. Yes, I know the setting was high school, but that didn't work out well for me given my move from CA to IN.

*sigh*

Ah, memories.

So, your turn. Toss out a few series and examples if anime has had an influence in your life.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:40 pm Reply with quote
I'd say the main influence is smoking, whenever I see a personage smoking I really have to smoke as well.
But yes, just like you said. If there's an anime I really enjoy that means good mood next day. If there's a female personage I really like, that means good mood for a week.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:51 pm Reply with quote
It's funny this thread was started because just tonight as I was traveling home on the subway I was musing over the fact that I'm enjoying Gantz even though it is a show that cannot be defended on any grounds whatsoever (greenonion alien...wtf?). In fact, I take its very existence as a searing indictment of humanity's innate depravity. The fact that I'm not tossing Gantz in the trash (using oven mitts and tongs to avoid contamination) says something deeply disturbing about my character, I fear.

On a positive note, I haven't started torturing small animals yet, so perhaps there is still hope for me.
zishan07

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:53 pm Reply with quote
I'll have to use Naruto as an example here. I'm pretty similar to Shikamaru in that I'm very clever, but extremely lazy. And as he matures and grows older, and starts to take on a more serious role, and with more responsibilities, it's made me think that I should be doing the same thing. Weird, but, it's definitely helped.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:55 pm Reply with quote
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, made me realize I should really join a club when I got in to high school, seeing as it may be more then meets the eye.

Kind of true I guess? I mean I joined like three clubs my freshmen year and it did keep me busy along with the fact I thought something interesting was bound to happen, and it did with all the people in the clubs.

I have to say thats really it, I mean other then Hayate no Gotoku! which showed how money isn't that important in life in less your millions in debt to some one
AU_Gundam

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Anime helped turn my life around from being a fad-seeking, ununderstanding fool to a more open, more set individual.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:02 pm Reply with quote
ninjapet wrote:
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, made me realize I should really join a club when I got in to high school

Now seriously, they may be in a club, but their kinda of club activities will never happen in your school.
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:27 pm Reply with quote
AU_Gundam wrote:
Anime helped turn my life around from being a fad-seeking, ununderstanding fool to a more open, more set individual.

Thats great!

I can't say I underwent same trasformation, but anime did, and still does, influence me greatly. I can safely say that I wouldn't be who I am had I missed Sailor Moon saga back when I was, ugh, 14-15. Then there was Cardcaptor Sakura. I fell in love in the pure way anime depicted love, friendship and devotion. Anime is more than hobby for me and I intend to keep it that way. (yes I am overly sentimental... sorry Rolling Eyes )

PS: Whats up with the thread name? Can't you just leave it as "Does anime have an influence on you?". When I read it for the first time I thought you were reffering to that cute stuffed bunny I hide deeply inside my personality.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Hentai_JP wrote:
PS: Whats up with the thread name? Can't you just leave it as "Does anime have an influence on you?". When I read it for the first time I thought you were reffering to that cute stuffed bunny I hide deeply inside my personality.

Cute hentai bunny you mean?
ninjapet

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:49 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
ninjapet wrote:
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, made me realize I should really join a club when I got in to high school

Now seriously, they may be in a club, but their kinda of club activities will never happen in your school.

my school's anime club gets away with pretty much anything to say the least (We have like no members and the teacher looking over us is not even there half the time). We did in fact try and do some TMoHS related stuff when we talked about it one club meeting. It was more or less funny watching.

Still I wasn't meaning go out and force a alien, time traveler and esper in a club. I meant like joining a club you have a interest in and making new friends.

Last edited by ninjapet on Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
sailorsarah08

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:15 pm Reply with quote
I have been influenced by anime for sure. One day my friends and I went from grocery store to grocery store trying to find sugar stars to make wishes. I blame Sailor Moon S The Movie. (Never actually found them...) But on a more serious note I have done little things like making someones lunch because I realized it made X character happy when it happened. It wasn't really anything too ground shaking IMO but more of a steady chisel at my character.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Another influence would be the way I started thinking in japanese and the way I've come to like 2-d girls more than real life girls.
But this is clearly a secret between me and you!
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Has anime, or specific series, made me remember events in my life? Sure. They've brought up fond, sometimes not so fond, memories when I've been watching various series but I can't say it's had an influence on my personal character. Sure it's impacted my life and provide a nice outlet and entertainment as a very fond hobby. I can't though that anime has impacted my personal character or who I am though. To me that's reserved for actual real life experiences but that's just me.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:07 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't say anime has directly affected my life, but I've learned a bit about the zen nature of the Japanese attitude, which in turn has reinforced my stoic attitudes and love for quiet and order. Also, I wish people bowed more.

Blood- wrote:
I'm enjoying Gantz even though it is a show that cannot be defended on any grounds whatsoever ... In fact, I take its very existence as a searing indictment of humanity's innate depravity.

I think that's actually the point of the show, that people are fundamentally desperate creatures who will sink to any depravity given the chance.
RebirthedDuelist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:55 pm Reply with quote
ninjapet wrote:
egoist wrote:
ninjapet wrote:

my school's anime club gets away with pretty much anything to say the least (We have like no members and the teacher looking over us is not even there half the time). We did in fact try and do some TMoHS related stuff when we talked about it one club meeting. It was more or less funny watching.

well, your lucky, your anime clubs gets away with stuff, the one im in has had it's fund stolen from the principal. our principal also tried to deny us becoming a club. well, we got the last laugh, sorta.

now back on track, anime has influenced me alot. thanks to umineko and higurashi, i now sleep with a bb shotgun next to me. of course i still did that before i watched the series. due to watching dead space downfall, i now check every crack of the room im in. watching DBZ really made me wanna go outside and fight. well, thanks to watching goku beat the crap out of cell taught me some moves to fight against this bratty kid. now im in the mood for a horror anime due to reflecting on how higurashi, dead space, and umineko has terrified me. not to mention the ring manga.....*shivers*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3