• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Never-ending anime.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gabriel Osamu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm starting to grow bored of animes such as One Piece and Inuyasha, Evangelion and Dragon Ball Z. I believe it's common to get bored of animes that get dragged out a lot.

I've watched Inuyasha for quite a while, but I am starting to grow bored of the same acts of the story being fairly recreated. Now I am considering going over to something else without even watching the complete series.

One Piece, for example, consists for over 400 episodes, and I just can't seem to get myself to view all those... "hmm.." 8.000 minutes of anime... That makes 133 and 1/3 hours, and I simply don't have 5 and a half days on my hands. o.O

(^---- Math credits to larinon)

I do prefer rather short animes that consist of 12-14 episodes a season, and then maybe multiple seasons if the series are worth watching and gets sold. It's so much simpler. Then they also get, like, proper endings. And that's what really turns me on, makes me begging the producer/author for more!

I am wondering how you feel about the situation. Do you feel the same way? Getting bored of "never-ending animes"? I could probably have made a poll about this question, though there's already one out there:

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=52016&show=140

Seems to me that short animes kept within the range of 26-40 episodes are the clear winners. But... Coincidence?

Last edited by Gabriel Osamu on Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
happymoose

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:59 pm Reply with quote
snip

Last edited by happymoose on Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:00 pm Reply with quote
You're not alone when it comes to "never-ending" anime. When anime goes on for that many episodes, it can get tiring and even overwelming. That's alot of time and money that's going to be spent on an anime. And you're right, who really does have time to watch that many episodes of anime in a short time? (I will tell you this, there are some anime fans who do nothing and don't go anywhere do they find the time to watch that many anime)

On the bright side, congradulations. You obviously have a life. You admit that you don't have time to watch that many episodes. Neither do I. I often feel overwhelmed when it comes to long anime. It's not much of a coincidance that shorter anime tend to win. Short anime don't drag out, they're not overwhelming, and you will have time for them.

While there are some long running anime that I like, (Bleach, Inu Yasha, One Piece) I do wish there were more anime that were somewhere between 26-40 episodes. I'm even okay with 70-100. But more than that can be dragging.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Those infinite or near infinite are the biggest turn offs for me. Sometimes when I'm browsing around, I'll see pictures of Bleach and One Piece and go "Hey, that looks really entertaining" and then I remember Bleach is already at 228 episodes and One Piece is over 400. I really want to watch Bleach, it looks like it has some pretty funny and exciting moments, but the US releases are only 3 box sets in and I know they're are going to be a ton more and that's a lot of money. Same deal with One Piece.

I see no reason as to why a show has to run that long. If people weren't so obsessed with shows being regurgitated, animated forms of the manga, then we'd have a lot more of these in the 51-100 episode range (which is a lot more doable for me) because animators wouldn't have to make fillers to keep on track with manga.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
happymoose

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:35 pm Reply with quote
snip

Last edited by happymoose on Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:45 pm Reply with quote
I usually avoid anything over 52 episodes myself. After that it generally tends to go downhill or end badly. I've only seen a few exceptions such as Monster and Yu Yu Hakusho.
larinon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Gabriel Osamu wrote:
One Piece, for example, consists for over 400 episodes, and I just can't seem to get myself to view all those... "hmm.." 8.000 hours of anime... I simply don't have 333 days on my hands. o.O

I just wanted to jump in here and correct your math. 400 episodes would be more like 8000 minutes, not 8000 hours. So you're off by a factor of 60. It'd be more like five and a half days.

Five and a half grueling, mind-numbing days.

Or you could watch for an hour a day and catch up in four and a half months, not counting other episodes that aired during that time period.

Like Kruszer, 52 episodes is about my limit.

/math teacher
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DarkClue

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I some what like never-ending anime, part of the reason is that the series keeps getting better and better in some cases not all. But I do agree that it can get tiring and boring after a lot of episodes.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
I usually avoid anything over 52 episodes myself. After that it generally tends to go downhill or end badly. I've only seen a few exceptions such as Monster and Yu Yu Hakusho.

This is my rule of thumb too. Usually anything over 52 episodes tend to get annoying. There are a few exceptions like Yu Yu Hakusho (as Kruszer said) or Detective Conan. But for the most part the longer series just tend to beat the story to death. Eventually the is no more plot or character development. It just becomes a never ending story of the same plot devices over and over again. The reason that they tend to have a better story is because these shorter series are actually scripted before they are even animated. This insures that the story actually has a beginning, middle, and end.

Also, I don't think Evangelion is really a "never ending anime". It was only 26 episodes long. After that it's just movies that are optional to the story. It's not like something like Bleach which is well over 200 episodes now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Oaknut

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:37 pm Reply with quote
I've always thought that if you can't tell your story in 13 episodes or 26 episodes you will never really get it told. I'm a huge Gundam fan and my favorite incarnation is 0083. At 13 episodes it's long enough to make its point, but short enough to keep from getting stale. Personally, I've gotten more enjoyment and story telling fulfillment out of 0083, than any other more traditional 50-ish episode Gundam series. I also like closure. One of the reasons Cowboy Bebop is considered so incredible is partly because that they cranked out 26 great episodes, 1 movie, then called it quits. I hope they never bring anything Cowboy Bebop back and ruin the legacy (including that stupid live action thing).There is no entertainment that works for the art anymore. It's all about initially creating a great artistic work, then bleeding it for all its worth to make every last dollar that can be made until what once was an incredible work of art is now a flaming piece of crap.
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Another 'never-ending' anime that is joining the ranks is Shugo Chara, I mean it's almost 100 episodes, that's alot, especially for a shojo title. I love Shugo Chara, and the art has been (somewhat) consistently good, since shojo titles seem to get tossed in the shallow end of the budget pool, but the problem with the anime is that it has distorted the main character, Amu, into a Mary Sue, whereas in the manga she is not, though someone could make an arguement against this, the anime has drastically warped the original story, not just with the fillers, but the storyline was very rigid according to the seasons, but with the never ending fillers it made the current plot line stretch out with pointless filler, and cause another character to seem have endless pain and fraught, whereas then everyone goes on like nothing is wrong because of the filler. I understand that they needed to draw it out since the manga is still running, or was still far from ending at the time, but it really was messed up sadly quite a bit. It always is sad to see an otherwise good show get weighed down with filler, which pops up often in long running shows. On long running shows in general, I consider long to even be around 50+ episodes, and they still have promise. For example Uninhabited Planet, Survive was a decent 51 ep. show that didn't have (obvious) filler, and an engaging and developing storyline. However for as the title says, "never-ending" thats where it's inevitable that there will be filler, or just repitition from the original source (if there is one.) I would like to see a long running show that manages to still keep the audience's attention and have to not repeat or get dull or have filler-esque parts. Now THAT would be a challenge, but it's possible.
Bitter Almonds

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:02 am Reply with quote
You don't know "neverending" until you begin watching Sazae-san, Doraemon, and The Simpsons Cool

I begin to get bored of anything once I see it's something trite and stupid from the get-go (Tenchi Muyo!, Evangelion, Gundam Seed, Haruhi Suzumiya, Pano Pani Dash, FLCL, Azumanga, etc.). Other than that, Candy Candy was 114 episodes, Maison Ikkoku and Marmalade Boy were ~90 episodes, Urusei Yatsura was ~200 episodes and 6 movies - and never a dull moment Cool
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:28 am Reply with quote
Repetition really gets on my nerves, when animation studios re-use what is essentially the exact same script with only really minor changes to set it apart from the previous week's episode, and, as the final seconds tick down at the end of the episode, you're left wondering what's the point of watching the show at all when you know damn well that you'll watch the characters doing more or less the exact same thing the next week with no real resolution, almost like they're stuck in some kind of Endless loop.

I could go on, but I want to watch the latest episode of the current Haruhi Suzumiya story arc before I go to bed. :rimshot:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
flavius184

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:48 am Reply with quote
Count me in as another member of the "52 episodes and under" crowd. For me it's always been a committment issue than it was to be worried about fillers and repetition of a very long series. I mean, I could have followed shows like Inuyasha from the beginning and to where it is at the moment, but to do that would take too much effort just to catch every episode, or worse, buy every DVD that is released for it.

Having that much devotion to a single, long series isn't the same as being able to afford and keep track of what goes on in a series that is much shorter in episode length.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:33 am Reply with quote
I'm really indifferent to length myself. Fillers rarely affect me since most of them can be skipped (Naruto 136-220? Never heard of them. Wink ) Any episodes that begin with the "last 3 minutes of the previous episode" can be fast-forward, and the "staring/wind-blowing" is much reduced from the DBZ days. And how many episodes there are don't really affect the quality too much IMHO, for example, of the big three current shonen, Bleach has the fewest episodes, yet I easily rank OP and Naruto higher than it because the latter two kept mostly quality writing whereas Kubo stopped giving as much effort IMHO.

I mean, book series don't get criticized for continuing past two or three, and lord knows we have to wait much longer to see a resolution for those compared to most "long" anime (Dark Tower and Wheel of Time fans know what I'm talking about). But anyway, people say, "hey, series A was excellent in only 13-26 episodes." I'll agree, and add, "true, but series B was complete crap in only 13-26 episodes. On the other hand, series C was also crap at 250 episodes, but series D was fairly good at 300 episodes. Your point?" I don't care about length, I'm here for story/characters, and if one chooses to tell a longer story, I'm cool with it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3