• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf Licenses Princess Knight Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kirben

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:36 pm Reply with quote
I would have bought this series, if it was released uncut, but I can't stand edited English dubs, especially the older ones, which seemed to suffer the most.

dragonrider_cody wrote:
This has already been answered, please try to keep up. Right Stuf is not the company that released the title in Italy, so they have no rights to any of the materials that a company there uses. That's assuming that release is even fully uncut, which is questionable.

The earlier message only mentions a bi-lingual DVD release was not possible, due to the edits in the English version. It sounds like the focus is clearly on including the English version.

dragonrider_cody wrote:
Right Stuf is known for going to great lengths to get titles licensed and released here in the US, including some like Utena that most had written off as being unable to be licensed. It's unlikely that this is case of Right Stuf saying "hey, we could get the original Japanese track and footage, but we just don't feel like it."

Except Kimba the White Lion (another Tezuka series), and this series, which only seem aimed at people wanting nostalgia.

We barely get any Tezuka titles released on DVD, and we shouldn't still be getting edited English dubs only DVD releases.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
grooven

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:41 pm Reply with quote
brand wrote:
I wonder where that Princess Knight guy from ANNcast (from like 2 or 3 years ago) is now?
LMAO was going to ask the same question Anime hyper. Glad to hear this Smile
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Well i would have gladly bought it if they released the original Japanese version (sub) in a separate release like MB did with Tekkaman Blade & Go Lion.

Anyway i am happy for the fans who are awaiting this version of Princess Knight.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:04 am Reply with quote
I don't believe this title will interest me. I started watching anime in the Eighties and this is just not the style of anime that I think I will like. Though I am willing to take a look at the finished product, if Right Stuf puts some online for us to take a look.

That said, it is very obvious that the Right Stuf put a lot of effort and time (years perhaps) into this project. Personally, I think this was a passion project for some of them. So it makes no sense to be beating them up, especially considering this title is almost 50 years old, for a project they have put some much blood and sweat into.

So Right Stuf do not listen to the naysayers and detractors for this project. Those that actually care about this title will buy it. I may not be interested in this title, but your work on Utena made me a believer, and I thank you for it.
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:38 am Reply with quote
RightStuf, I will give you all the money in my bank account if you license Akazukin Chacha!

Anime cry
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:10 am Reply with quote
Graceful Nanami wrote:
RightStuf, I will give you all the money in my bank account if you license Akazukin Chacha!

Wasn't it overdrafted? Laughing
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:32 am Reply with quote
Great work, Shawne. Very Happy If you can get us the unedited version, I'd definitely get it.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:46 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
This has already been answered, please try to keep up. Right Stuf is not the company that released the title in Italy, so they have no rights to any of the materials that a company there uses. That's assuming that release is even fully uncut, which is questionable.

Right Stuf is known for going to great lengths to get titles licensed and released here in the US, including some like Utena that most had written off as being unable to be licensed. It's unlikely that this is case of Right Stuf saying "hey, we could get the original Japanese track and footage, but we just don't feel like it."

Shawne's reasoning seems to imply that the uncut materials for Princess Knight cannot be obtained because said materials have been junked by the subsequent rights holders. A reasoning that appears to be contradicted by the Italian release. And it also seems to imply that any chances of getting a fully uncut release of Princess Knight is practically ZERO because that is just the way the rights argreements were between the U.S. and Tezuka at the time. Ergo, we should just give up on the prospect of ever getting a full, uncut release, period.

Look, I'm not calling Shawne a big fat liar here. I'm just pointing out that there are some issues that make the reasons for this particular kind of release questionable. I'm sure Shawne is just as much in the dark about this and if anything, could motivate him to do some further research as to whether an uncut release may actually be possible down the road.
Saffire

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:56 am Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Shawne's reasoning seems to imply that the uncut materials for Princess Knight cannot be obtained because said materials have been junked by the subsequent rights holders. A reasoning that appears to be contradicted by the Italian release. And it also seems to imply that any chances of getting a fully uncut release of Princess Knight is practically ZERO because that is just the way the rights argreements were between the U.S. and Tezuka at the time. Ergo, we should just give up on the prospect of ever getting a full, uncut release, period.
An equally valid interpretation (especially based on Shawne's second paragraph) is that the project was purely to recover the lost English materials and an uncut version was never an objective of this particular release. You're reading a lot into this that isn't necessarily there.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:00 am Reply with quote
If in the future Rightstuf considers doing a separate release of the Japanese version, maybe it would be worthwhile contacting the Italian company (Yamato Video?) for the footage they have.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:04 am Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
An equally valid interpretation (especially based on Shawne's second paragraph) is that the project was purely to recover the lost English materials and an uncut version was never an objective of this particular release. You're reading a lot into this that isn't necessarily there.

Be that as it may, I still find it somewhat uncharacteristic for a company like Right Stuf to release an English dub-only release without even so much as a hope that efforts would be made to confirm whether or not the original Japanese footage exists to the point that an uncut release can be done sometime later down the road. I'm personally hoping that Shawne will consider this. Maybe more so if the dub sets sell well.
FLCLGainax wrote:
If in the future Rightstuf considers doing a separate release of the Japanese version, maybe it would be worthwhile contacting the Italian company (Yamato Video?) for the footage they have.

I'm not sure what relationships distributors have with other distributors internationally. But if I have to guess, it may not be very intimate due to all sorts of legal hair pulling that would be involved in trying to clear certain materials for license in one particular country. That may also be why ADV never bothered to get the M+E tracks for "Nicky Larson" in order to do a dub for the City Hunter TV series.
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:15 am Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
... And yet, the Italian release of Princess Knight is fully uncut with both Italian and Japanese language tracks, the same uncut footage that was supposedly "junked" by the rights holders who came into possession of it after the dissolution of Mushi studios...
I smell a rat.

I smell different TV broadcast standards in different overseas markets.
Ichigo069

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:16 am Reply with quote
Shawne,

If you're still watching this thread, it would be really nice to hear from you so all the conspiracy theories can go bye bye. Even if you can't tell us anything, at least tell us that you can't tell us anything right now.
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:26 am Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Shawne's reasoning seems to imply that the uncut materials for Princess Knight cannot be obtained because said materials have been junked by the subsequent rights holders. A reasoning that appears to be contradicted by the Italian release.

Do you have any facts to support that?
I have not seen any information about what is actually in the Italian release or if that original material, if it is still available, can be obtained by Right Stuf.

Quote:
... and if anything, could motivate him to do some further research as to whether an uncut release may actually be possible down the road.

He has already been researching it for almost 20 years. I doubt that there is much that he has not found. And at this point I am sure that he knows a great deal more about the subject than you do.

You also have to consider that English dubs have never been a priority for Nozomi. If they could release the original I feel confident that they would.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:43 am Reply with quote
Agila61 wrote:
I smell different TV broadcast standards in different overseas markets.

The point I was trying to make is that the original uncut footage may not be completely lost to time as originally feared.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5