• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Favorite adaptation of FMA: First series or Brotherhood.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:54 pm Reply with quote
They're both so different that it's hard for me to say, but I lean towards the first series.

Humonculus
I think the first series does a better job with them. Envy is a more interesting character in the new series, but I never really liked Envy all that much. Lust is brutally shortchanged in the second series and reduced to nothing more than a macguffin to make Roy Mustang more bad ass. 1st Pride/2nd Wrath are pretty much equal in my opinion. 1st Sloth blows the other one completely out of the water for me. I like the concept of the 2nd Pride (I have a soft spot for homicidal children), but he's not an interesting character to me. Especially if you compare him to 1st Wrath.

Visuals
The 2nd series has better fights to me, it's made in HD and benefits from advances in animation technology since the production of the prior series.

Music
I like the old music better in most places, but there are about 2 or 3 songs in the new one that I enjoy as much or more than what the old series would use. Those 2-3 songs are a bit overused though. There doesn't seem like much variety in the music this time around.

Story
To me this is a toss up. I like the alchemy tech talk of the first series more than what they do in the second one. Overall though, I'm not sure. The manga is kinda meh to me and it's hard for me to not count where it's gone as part of the second series. However, i'm always surprised and much better the second series improves on what's presented in the manga. When the series is done I might enjoy the overall story of the second more than the first, but as of right now I lean towards the first.
Truered

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:06 am Reply with quote
There are parts I prefer in the first season, but overall I am enjoying brotherhood a lot more. The first 12~ episodes of brotherhood I found a bit meh and rushed compared to the first series which took the time to go through the events. For example the spoiler[Tucker arc was spread over two episodes, and had a much more emotional impact on me in the first series] I also preferred what they did with Lust in the first series giving her more character, as opposed to being a simple villain in brotherhood.

But after the first twelve or so episodes I found brotherhood got into its stride and became a lot better. I have a lot of love for the original FMA series- it's just that FMA:B managed to get even better.
Mai Yukino

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:44 am Reply with quote
Brotherhood may be the better one of the two, but the only thing I don't like about Brotherhood is the re-casting of the majority of the characters. I was disappoined that great seiyuu like Megumi Toyoguchi(the original voice of Winry Rockbell) Michiko Neya(the original voice of Riza Hawkeye in the first series), Toru Okawa(the original voice of Roy Mustang in the first series), and Ryotaro Okiayu(the original voice of Scar) weren't cast in their roles in Brotherhood. So I prefer the first series because I don't like how the majority of the main characters were re-cast by others in Brotherhood.
Fluffifullness

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:21 am Reply with quote
Brotherhood was what got me reading the manga, which is probably part of why I like the first series better. I'm almost caught up to where I'll have to wait for online translations of each new chapter every month, so I already know what's going to happen in the anime. That takes most of the fun out of it.

I like the animation and drawing style better in the first series, which also has a better soundtrack.

Well, the manga is superior to both...
amarielah

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:36 am Reply with quote
The first series is hands down the one I prefer. I enjoy the manga to a certain extent--more than Brotherhood, to be sure--but I find that Arakawa's narrative style often leaves me disconnected from the story. I sometimes get the impression that she's so anxious to get every bit of the story told that she's not really allowing scenes to resolve organically. I also don't really have the same sense of humor as her, which I think is one of the bigger problems. She crafts a well-planned and interesting plot, but I just don't really like the way she tells it.

And, to be honest, I preferred the direction the plot took in the first anime, even if it was done a bit more clumsily towards the end. Not badly--not even by a long shot--but...clumsily. I also preferred the approach it took to characterization, narration, and its fantastical elements. It could have used a bit more world-building, but I think the creative choices they made, though not always so well-explained, were very interesting.

It doesn't help that I have major issues with any plot involving large-scale government conspiracies; they stretch my suspension of disbelief too much. Small-scale government conspiracies, however, I can handle.

Obviously, all these points extend to Brotherhood as well, although in many cases Brotherhood worsens the problems I have with the manga, sometimes making it nigh unwatchable for me. It's not a bad series, but it just takes the opposite approach to pretty much every one of my preferences.

All in all, the first series sucked me in. When I was watching it, I didn't really notice the flaws (though there were certainly flaws which I was able to notice in later viewings). The manga sucked me in for a few volumes, but then then the cast started expanding and the focus became decentralized and suddenly I was noticing all these things that annoyed me. And Brotherhood...well, there's been about one episode where something hasn't annoyed me.
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:25 am Reply with quote
FMA was a cool angsty series with some existential pondering. Strayed a lot from the manga, but in a good way.

FMA:B is mostly a streamlined shounen action, much better than the others in the same category, but at the same time lacking in the intellectual/emotional aspect compared to the first series.

It remains to be seen how the manga (and FMA:B since it follows the story directly) will end; I liked the development until recently, my overall opinion of the series will depend on it.

In short, the pleasure/excitement I get from watching FMA:B is more akin to watching a Michael Bay movie, while S2 was a bit more artsy and thought-provoking. Ultimately, the Father is too cliche a villain with extremely cliche motivations, which sort of ruins it for me. Unlike in the first series, where the so-called "villains" were pretty gray. Oh, and I dislike most music in FMA:B, a lot of the time it feels like the composer isn't reading the atmosphere, and a lot of pieces either don't fit or sound too generic.
Dune

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:44 pm Reply with quote
I prefer the first series. Brotherhood has its moments, especially recently, but the first show has some pretty mature storytelling. To save space I’ll just go over five reasons why I enjoy the previous FMA—it has its flaws, yes, but also great qualities. (Btw can I assume this thread allows unmarked spoilers? Because I have a few spoilers.)

5. Lets the Audience put 2+2 together. The show lets the audience figure things out on their own, even to horrifying ends. Like with Tucker: During some relatively calm and happy scenes we are given enough hints about what Tucker did to his wife, and what he might do to his daughter. Hello false sense of security. At that point I thought ‘surely they won’t actually go where I think they’re going with Nina.’ And then they go there. It's more horrifying because I knew the result beforehand, I just didn't want to believe it. This is also the sort of show where you’ll see a character casually stroll on-screen. And then a second later you realize, wait a minute, that character died recently. There’s no HEY GUYS LOOK AT THIS CHARACTER HE’S SUPPOSED TO BE DEAD obviousness going on. The show lets the audience pick up the clues for itself. Thank goodness, because it makes for mature viewing.

4. Flexible Change of Mood: This show keeps you on your toes. Remember how Evangelion went from relatively happy to an all-out horror show? Much of Fullmetal is kinda like that, especially in the first half, except it frequently goes back and forth. The very first FMA scene is like something out of a horror show, then it flash-forwards straight into a lighthearted scene (without being obnoxious about the change in attitude—it’s enough that it’s there and that we notice it). We also see Alphonse as an empty suit of armor, but don’t get an actual explanation until the stuff hits the fan… Showing us part of something horrible, then prolonging the result until much later is something this show does a lot. The audience comfort-zone is frequently invaded, but in a good way. Even with episodes like Fullmetal vs. Flame.. on the surface it’s a funny light-hearted romp, but it’s simultaneously payoff/setup for darker themes. In other words the sense of atmosphere in a scene isn't always trustworthy.

3. Nobody is safe. NO ONE. The show benefits greatly from elevating quickly-killed manga characters into actual main characters. The result is an environment in which virtually anyone is able to get killed. Even the ‘safe’ ones. Also worth noting is that, while the action scenes aren’t as full-blown as other series, this show still manages to keep suspense. Here’s how: nearly every time a fight breaks out, someone either ends up severely injured or dead. The stakes never really lower to the point where we can easily tell who the ‘safe’ characters are. Sometimes deaths even appear simply out of the blue.

2. The Characters. Extremely memorable, all of them, even if you can't trust any of them. There's a real sense of heart and weight to everyone. On top of Arakawa's great handiwork there’s a certain finesse to how things are handled or set up. (For the first time, Trisha sees the product of Ed and Al’s transmutation—and it is a doll. This is played out in a very calm way, but has creepy connotations in the grand scheme of things. Etc) By the way, FOILS. Lots and lots of foils, as well as ‘replacement goldfish' (link). As the manga/Brotherhood have gone on, it’s also become apparent that the first show is more similar to Arakawa’s full storyline than originally thought. IMO It’s a great adaptation—it condenses/recreates characters or events into things that have a good sense of impact in its own narrative (like the baby incident involving Hughes’s child, Winry stealing Ed’s watch in Resembool, or Father/ Homunculus’s role being split evenly between Dante and Envy, etc.) Btw: Do I even need to mention the acting or the music? Simply excellent. Stole my heart away.

1. Emphasis on Human Dignity. What does Al want? Or the Ishvalans? Chimeras? Even the murderous Homunculi? To be human.

It isn't easy. You’ve got characters whose hearts are in the right place, and make sacrifices for all the wrong reasons, and as a result, people suffer. Even the oppressed don’t come across as saintly victims, they’re human too, and just as capable of committing good or evil as anybody else. The only real character who doesn’t like being a human is Dante, however she is unable to escape her 'condition' (you could say that she’s consumed by it, a heh). In that vein, I enjoy the double-irony at the end. Throughout a series of impostors and false truths spanning the entire show, characters like Al are considered less-than-human. Then we find out that, by such standards, no one is! Ed discovers he isn’t even the original ‘Elric brother’ after at all; he’s an imitation, a "fake". And everyone in Ametris is technically a fake too, if compared to the real world. Though ultimately, as long as someone possesses a soul, he should be considered no more nor less than human.
(*And knowing is half the battle Surprised)
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:16 pm Reply with quote
I really dislike how Brotherhood can't hold its seriousness without throwing a joke or two during potentially emotional scenes. Thus, any drama this anime had to offer was completely ruined for some overused jokes that I heard many times in the first FMA; that includes his mom's incident, which also held no drama whatsoever this time, unless, of course, you're counting that rushed episode that just made things worse.
The characters' depth is also much weaker this time. Brotherhood is completely relying on the first by simply skipping development and rushing the plot.

But, what I actually expected and wanted out of Brotherhood was a good ending. At least as of late, the anime has been extremely entertaining, compared to the other 40 meh episodes. Therefore, those 40 episodes hold completely no re-watch value to me, unlike the first FMA.

FMA had better openings and endings(specially the latter), which really added to the mood. Brotherhood's reminds me of Bleach, and that's bad.

The best thing about Brotherhood certainly is Winry's boobies(nearly fully exposed, argh x 1 million).

Another thing I'm not certain about is this dispute between the two FMA adaptations. I don't exactly prefer one over the other, since both really differentiates from each other, almost as if they were one another's spin-off. And I really dislike manga fans who can't keep the "...but in the manga it's like that... and it's going to be like this... compared to the manga it's..."(If we wanted to know we'd buy the manga!)(just create your own thread to compare the adaptation to the manga, jesus), thus the reason I wouldn't join FMA's thread. Well, in my manga none of you compare the anime to the manga, so why is this happening? It can't be! My own imaginary fiction is rebelling against me, the master of no body but my own!?
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Dune wrote:
I prefer the first series. Brotherhood has its moments, especially recently, but the first show has some pretty mature storytelling. To save space I’ll just go over five reasons why I enjoy the previous FMA—it has its flaws, yes, but also great qualities. (Btw can I assume this thread allows unmarked spoilers? Because I have a few spoilers.)

5. Lets the Audience put 2+2 together. The show lets the audience figure things out on their own, even to horrifying ends. Like with Tucker: During some relatively calm and happy scenes we are given enough hints about what Tucker did to his wife, and what he might do to his daughter. Hello false sense of security. At that point I thought ‘surely they won’t actually go where I think they’re going with Nina.’ And then they go there. It's more horrifying because I knew the result beforehand, I just didn't want to believe it. This is also the sort of show where you’ll see a character casually stroll on-screen. And then a second later you realize, wait a minute, that character died recently. There’s no HEY GUYS LOOK AT THIS CHARACTER HE’S SUPPOSED TO BE DEAD obviousness going on. The show lets the audience pick up the clues for itself. Thank goodness, because it makes for mature viewing.

4. Flexible Change of Mood: This show keeps you on your toes. Remember how Evangelion went from relatively happy to an all-out horror show? Much of Fullmetal is kinda like that, especially in the first half, except it frequently goes back and forth. The very first FMA scene is like something out of a horror show, then it flash-forwards straight into a lighthearted scene (without being obnoxious about the change in attitude—it’s enough that it’s there and that we notice it). We also see Alphonse as an empty suit of armor, but don’t get an actual explanation until the stuff hits the fan… Showing us part of something horrible, then prolonging the result until much later is something this show does a lot. The audience comfort-zone is frequently invaded, but in a good way. Even with episodes like Fullmetal vs. Flame.. on the surface it’s a funny light-hearted romp, but it’s simultaneously payoff/setup for darker themes. In other words the sense of atmosphere in a scene isn't always trustworthy.

3. Nobody is safe. NO ONE. The show benefits greatly from elevating quickly-killed manga characters into actual main characters. The result is an environment in which virtually anyone is able to get killed. Even the ‘safe’ ones. Also worth noting is that, while the action scenes aren’t as full-blown as other series, this show still manages to keep suspense. Here’s how: nearly every time a fight breaks out, someone either ends up severely injured or dead. The stakes never really lower to the point where we can easily tell who the ‘safe’ characters are. Sometimes deaths even appear simply out of the blue.

2. The Characters. Extremely memorable, all of them, even if you can't trust any of them. There's a real sense of heart and weight to everyone. On top of Arakawa's great handiwork there’s a certain finesse to how things are handled or set up. (For the first time, Trisha sees the product of Ed and Al’s transmutation—and it is a doll. This is played out in a very calm way, but has creepy connotations in the grand scheme of things. Etc) By the way, FOILS. Lots and lots of foils, as well as ‘replacement goldfish' (link). As the manga/Brotherhood have gone on, it’s also become apparent that the first show is more similar to Arakawa’s full storyline than originally thought. IMO It’s a great adaptation—it condenses/recreates characters or events into things that have a good sense of impact in its own narrative (like the baby incident involving Hughes’s child, Winry stealing Ed’s watch in Resembool, or Father/ Homunculus’s role being split evenly between Dante and Envy, etc.) Btw: Do I even need to mention the acting or the music? Simply excellent. Stole my heart away.

1. Emphasis on Human Dignity. What does Al want? Or the Ishvalans? Chimeras? Even the murderous Homunculi? To be human.

It isn't easy. You’ve got characters whose hearts are in the right place, and make sacrifices for all the wrong reasons, and as a result, people suffer. Even the oppressed don’t come across as saintly victims, they’re human too, and just as capable of committing good or evil as anybody else. The only real character who doesn’t like being a human is Dante, however she is unable to escape her 'condition' (you could say that she’s consumed by it, a heh). In that vein, I enjoy the double-irony at the end. Throughout a series of impostors and false truths spanning the entire show, characters like Al are considered less-than-human. Then we find out that, by such standards, no one is! Ed discovers he isn’t even the original ‘Elric brother’ after at all; he’s an imitation, a "fake". And everyone in Ametris is technically a fake too, if compared to the real world. Though ultimately, as long as someone possesses a soul, he should be considered no more nor less than human.
(*And knowing is half the battle Surprised)

The only characters who got a lot more screen time than their manga counterparts was Hughes, and Tucker, which is than immediatly cancelled out by Yoki, Scar, Hohenheim, Marcoh, Greed, King Bradley, Izumi, Sig, Riza Hawkeye, Jean Havoc, Winry and Roy Mustang all getting a lot more screen time in the manga. In fact one's scenes sole purpose was to lampshade how little screentime the other characters where getting simply because most of the show is about Ed.

Also several of the characters where handled horribly, the only fights Alex Louis Armstrong is in are the ones from the manga, and after that his pretty much only used as comic relief. Izumi Curtis is nowhere to be seen during the finale, and Hohenheim shows up and is immediatly defeated by a complete idiot, making him look even stupider.

Also after a character dies that character is completely forgotten, due I need to remind you that Mustang's obsession with revenge is found only in the manga, and brotherhood. In the first anime Miustang clearly forgets about his best friend, and someone who was supposed to support him, Oh did I forget to mention that after that scene Mustangs plan to become the fuhrer is gone?

Let's go with Hohneheim shall we, in the manga his past is covered in detail, his one of the smartest characters who manages to mess up the main villain plans months before the plan is to go underway. In the first anime he shows up, and then is sent to another dimension almost immediatly. Hohenheim got so little screentime that Funimation just had Scott Mcneil show up and do the voice while he was visiting Texas during the convention season.

Also I have no idea what you mean by "no one is human", are you honestly claiming that the whole Earth-prime subplot makes it so that Ed is any less human than say that chick who was based on a guy who was Hitler's mentor.

Newsflash Dietlinde Eckart never existed, she was based off of Dietrich Eckart who died of a heart attack soon after being arrested after the Beer Hall Putsch.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dietrich_Eckart

I should also point out that the Thule Socierty while originally created as an occult society, was primarly a place for people who hated the jewish could talk about how much they hate the jewish.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm fairly sure acknowledge in the notes for the movie that the real person was a man (it's been a while since I read the booklet). It was clear they did a lot of research for the movie.

As far as your other points, well, we've clashed enough on most of that, so you probably already know what I have to say, and it's pointless to rehash the same stuff.

I will say, though, that until Izumi spoiler[appeared in Central to help Olivier] in the manga, she was much more active in the first series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:27 pm Reply with quote
The first series for sure, since I grew up watching it as it was released to DVD via the Singles.
Dune

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Also after a character dies that character is completely forgotten, due I need to remind you that Mustang's obsession with revenge is found only in the manga, and brotherhood.

Mustang fought Bradley to avenge his friend. There's an essay that might be worth reading which explores that topic. With regards to character screentime, I pretty much agree with what Amarielah mentioned in the other thread (link), for what it's worth.

Quote:
Also I have no idea what you mean by "no one is human", are you honestly claiming that the whole Earth-prime subplot makes it so that Ed is any less human than say that chick who was based on a guy who was Hitler's mentor.

From Eckart's malformed point of view, Amestrians like Ed are less human than her. Which is kind of the point, thematically speaking. In the series, whenever Amestrians demoted Alphonse, the Chimeras, or the Ishbalans as sub-human, they were basing it on them not being 'real' or authentic enough. As if they were imperfect impersonations of actual humans (like the Homunculi). With the introduction of the real world, the irony is that, under those faulty guidelines, 'real' Amestrians could be considered just as sub-human. Of course, objectively speaking, everyone is equally human.
amarielah

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm not going to respond to your points individually, Charred Knight, since I think it's pretty obvious based on some of my other posts that you and I just don't see characters or characterization the same way, but I will say this:

Part of the reason why I prefer the first anime over the manga or Brotherhood is the subtlety it employs for characterization and symbolism. A lot of your points seem to hinge on the fact that, while the manga is generally very RARW about things ("Mustang is out for revenge! Did we mention that Mustang is out for revenge? Because he totally is."), the first anime often leaves a character's true motivations shrouded in ambiguity. The writers didn't feel the need to hit us over the head with things like Arakawa sometimes does (not as often, at least), and I appreciated that. Overall, it's less anvilicious than the manga or Brotherhood.

It has its moments, of course, but they're fewer and farther between.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Dune wrote:
From Eckart's malformed point of view, Amestrians like Ed are less human than her. Which is kind of the point, thematically speaking. In the series, whenever Amestrians demoted Alphonse, the Chimeras, or the Ishbalans as sub-human, they were basing it on them not being 'real' or authentic enough. As if they were imperfect impersonations of actual humans (like the Homunculi). With the introduction of the real world, the irony is that, under those faulty guidelines, 'real' Amestrians could be considered just as sub-human. Of course, objectively speaking, everyone is equally human.

Well, I believe Eckart saw the people of Amestris as "monsters" because of alchemy, and scared, decided to kill them. If I recall, she even says as much when Ed confronts her. But the rest of your point still stands.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Eckart like apparently all Seiji Mizushima's villains (Dante, and Ribbons are in the same boat) is an arrogant moron.

Personally, I always saw the King Bradley vs. Mustang battle, more as a battle for Amestris. Afterall King Bradley had nothing to do with the death of Mustang's best friend.

Oh and also I found this really good blog that compares the two in an episode basis

http://www.anigamers.com/

It's really quite good, and does a great job comparing the two.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5