• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Suggestion for a New Encyclopedia Feature

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:58 am Reply with quote
Not certain that this is the correct section for this request/idea, but here goes.....

There are a number of different ongoing threads (here, here, and here) that concern the quality and effectiveness of various voice actors on both sides of the Pacific. How about creating a rating system for each voice actor wherein the voice actor is judged both:

A. In general; and
B. In relation to each individual role that s/he has voiced?
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:45 pm Reply with quote
I don't think it's a very good idea. While it's appropriate to have a rating for series since it helps people decide whether to pick up the show or not, there's really no reason to give ratings to voice actors. They're all professionals trying to make a living, they're really not in competition with each other, and giving them ratings is not helpful to anybody, is much more subjective than a rating for a show, and is sort of demeaning as well. Plus, different voice actors have different strengths, and different characters of expertise. Some are known for a particular voice they do well and thus they carry over a similar voice for every role, while others are more versatile and while they don't have a really distinct voice that they're known for, they can adapt to fit a wide range of roles. There's also male and female voice actors, and it's difficult to judge across the board.

tl;dr: Creating a rating system for voice actors in the encyclopedia is impractical, too subjective to put in numbers, and slightly demeaning.
Hyperone

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:37 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:

tl;dr: Creating a rating system for voice actors in the encyclopedia is impractical, too subjective to put in numbers, and slightly demeaning.

I'm going to agree with you on all fronts but this one.

This site is built on ratings both negative and positive. These are, as you said, professionals and as such I am sure quite used to criticisms from people far more important (to them anyway) than the users on this site.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:43 pm Reply with quote
While it would be nice if VAs could be rated objectively, too much of their performance is tied into what kind of character they are voicing. I don't think there's any way to implement that idea without it turning into a character popularity contest.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:20 am Reply with quote
We've already seen that there are fans (remembering that this word derives from "fanatic") in these forums who are quite willing to derail a thread with frothing-at-the-mouth hate for a particular VA, or equally frothy gushing about their favourite VA. I see nothing good coming out of a system that would allow them to carry this over into a rating system.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:32 am Reply with quote
I did not realize that there were so many complicating issues. Ah, well; c'est la vie.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1