• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam Build Fighters TV Anime to Premiere in October

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:45 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Sports are contact. The characters are actually involved in the activity in a physical manner. They're not standing across from each other putting down models or cards or whatever.

Gundam is about the MS pilots actually being inside the mecha and the direct impact that has, staking their lives. If it's just two people playing a video game, what are the stakes? Who cares if one or the other wins or loses?

Well that depends, no?

I honestly have lost faith that Sunrise can create a "real" Gundam series that isn't total shit, so going for pure mecha fanservice is fine with me.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Wow dtm. I knew you were hilariously literal and anal retentive, but thats a new high (low?) even for you.

Yes, that's right. When you're proven to be wrong you don't admit you're wrong like a normal person would. Instead, you use personal attacks as a way to try and cover it up your embarrassment. In this case you said I was blind for not agreeing with your incorrect assertion and you now claim I was being anal retentive for calling you out on your BS. Classic behaviour from you.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:01 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Actually shows about people playing games can be quite exciting.
<snip>
Chihayafuru.
<snip>
etc etc

Sports are contact. The characters are actually involved in the activity in a physical manner.

I'd consider the karuta players in Chihayafuru to be very physically involved in their matches, even if they're not attacking one another. It looks to be incredibly tiring, especially in the tournament matches that made up much of the second series.

Another exciting sports anime that's been ignored by the people writing for this website is Girls und Panzer. That one has quite a lot of action in all but one of the Ooarai vs ____ matches throughout its brief run of 12 episodes... If you only want contact, GuP has it.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Sports are contact. The characters are actually involved in the activity in a physical manner. They're not standing across from each other putting down models or cards or whatever.

Gundam is about the MS pilots actually being inside the mecha and the direct impact that has, staking their lives. If it's just two people playing a video game, what are the stakes? Who cares if one or the other wins or loses?

Well that depends, no?

I honestly have lost faith that Sunrise can create a "real" Gundam series that isn't total shit, so going for pure mecha fanservice is fine with me.

You may have a point. At this juncture, they might as well experiment. If this show turns out to be terrible, perhaps it'll just be another step on the path to improvement.

I suppose it's a bit hypocritical to complain when the franchise does the same thing over and over again but then when they try something new complain about that, too. But changing for the sake of changing isn't any good, either. It'll all depend on how good this show is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:21 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
The image works perfectly for me, and no-one else said anything, so of course the natural assumption is that it works for others.

The image worked perfectly for you because it was still in your browser's cache. Clear it, and you'll see what everyone else does.

I see this problem often with sites that don't allow hotlinking images. People upload them, everything looks fine to them, and unless someone says something, they never know (unless they revisit their message after that cached image has expired).
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:23 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Wow dtm. I knew you were hilariously literal and anal retentive, but thats a new high (low?) even for you.

Yes, that's right. When you're proven to be wrong you don't admit you're wrong like a normal person would. Instead, you use personal attacks as a way to try and cover it up your embarrassment. In this case you said I was blind for not agreeing with your incorrect assertion and you now claim I was being anal retentive for calling you out on your BS. Classic behaviour from you.

You don't seriously think I was trying to claim that Domon Kasshu was a girl, right?

You aren't actually that stupid.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:48 pm Reply with quote
^
Ah, and here's the old "I didn't really mean it" defence. You called someone's factually correct opinion "invalid" but you didn't really mean it, even though you gave no indication you weren't being serious and didn't immediately apologise when it became clear that others weren't in on your joke.

Yeah . . . sure . . .

Either you're just shit-stirring for the fun of it or you are trying to cover up making a factually incorrect assertion by claiming it was all just a joke. Either way, it doesn't look good for you.

TheAncientOne wrote:
The image worked perfectly for you because it was still in your browser's cache. Clear it, and you'll see what everyone else does.

I see this problem often with sites that don't allow hotlinking images. People upload them, everything looks fine to them, and unless someone says something, they never know (unless they revisit their message after that cached image has expired).

I see. Thank you for the info. It makes me wonder what other pictures I've posted that aren't visible to other people.

At any rate, it would have been nice for people to tell me that they couldn't see the picture.

Next time I'll upload the image to Photobucket instead of hotlinking directly from the picture's source site.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Alright dtm, here's how it works.

I was specifically singling out his statement that he hadn't watched G, and said that until he did, his Gundam opinions were invalid.

The fact that I have to explain this to you is depressing.

Quote:
At any rate, it would have been nice for people to tell me that they couldn't see the picture.

Well I did. You're just a moron who assumes I don't know the difference between Domon Kasshu and Laura Rolla.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:37 pm Reply with quote
So instead of just saying that three pages ago you persisted with this line of trolling. And you wonder why no-one puts much stock in what you have to say.

There was no reason to say his opinion of Gundam is invalid just because he hadn't seen G Gundam. This is a really stupid position to take; of course a person can talk about the franchise even if they haven't seen one particular AU show. It's not even an important AU show, other than it being the first.

And given that he was exclusively talking about female main characters, saying his opinion was invalid because he hadn't watched G Gundam would logically mean that you were linking female main characters and G Gundam. Your post asking about Laura further lent credence to this.

You love getting people to misunderstand you just so you can play the victim and call them idiots. But the only moron is you for undermining your own words and making people think you are a troll. Which you are.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:33 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Haven't watched G Gundam?

Opinion is invalid. Come back when you've watched it.

Typical G Gundam fanboy bullsh*t. - _ -'
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:23 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Maybe if you watch something like Hikaru no Go or Chihayafuru, but shows like Danball Senki and Yu-Gi-Oh have that. Characters being killed or losing their lives over it with meaningful things at stake on the games. Until the full details are known we won't know if this is just sticks with 'kid wants to win a tournament' or it'll evolve into 'kid fights other Gundam builders to save the world'.
kgw

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:04 am Reply with quote
Every "tournament anime" (if that's a genre now), from YugiOh to Danball Senki usually evolves into "kids fight/playing to save the world" -or at least Japan-. Heck, even Inazuma Eleven got kids saving the world by playing football (soccer).
nakobass

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:34 pm Reply with quote
I'll give Gundam BF a try. It's can't be any worse then Gundam Age, I hope. I know this new Gundam Anime is really really meant to sell Model Kits, but I really hope they use the Robot Spirits line. Because I hate building model kits. Give me a Gundam Action Figure over a Model Kit anyday. I still have Gundam Wing Action Figures from 18+ years ago. All the Gundam Model Kits I bought didn't last more then a few months.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:22 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
animehermit wrote:
That's probably the problem with Gundam in general. Too much reverance for Tomino, not enough people willing to take risks with the IP, to take it in some new crazy direction. Less Gundam Seed and more G Gundam.

Well, now they have taken it in a new, crazy direction.

This new show is about people playing a video game. Gundam is now about playing a video game.

What a wonderful new direction.

No, the real problem is that Gundam is essentially over. It needn't continue forever.

You know what I meant. This is pretty obviously a vehicle to sell models. There's a chance it might be good, but I doubt it.

It would be really cool to see what some auteur anime director could do with Gundam. Especially some of the crazy elements brought up with Tomino's stuff.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7