• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more
Please consider that this article is over 2 months old before starting a discussion.

Forum - View topic
Anime, Probability, & Licencing

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aya Reiko

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 2:50 am Reply with quote
After running through some old thoughts, I've began to think what may be on the horizon. (Or something like that.) Here are some currently unlicenced anime and the odds I think they may (or may not) come over here.

Sailor Moon Sailor Stars
Odds of happening: 15% and shrinking
The good: the Sailor moon franchise is one of the most popular series in recent anime history
The bad: Irwin is bankrupt, but likely Pioneer or ADV will foot the bill anyway.
The ugly: Toei is the lone roadblock. And they have totally cold feet about going ahead with any dubbing of the fifth season.
The lone glimmer of hope: If ADV's sub-only versions of the first two seasons sell well, that may convince them to go for just the sub rights alone. If you are desparate to have them on DVD, a well known SM fansubber has ported the series to DVD.

The Sailor Moon Specials (Ami-chan no Hatsukoi & SuperS TV Specials)
Odds of happening: Who knows?
The good: Nothing objectionable.
The bad and the ugly: It seems everyone has forgotten about these.
The lone glimmer of hope: The same SM fansubber is in the process of porting this to DVD too.

Azumanga Daioh
Odds of happening: 100%
The good: It's not a matter of if, but when... and who.
The bad: We have no idea who'll nab the series.
The ugly: Anything can be botched if handled by the wrong people.

Di Gi Charat
Odds of happening: Probably depends entirely on the sales of the English-language manga volumes.
The good, the bad, & the ugly: It's DiGi Charat. There really isn't much more of an explanation beyond that.

Agree? Disagree? Let's hear your thoughts.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Shadowwave

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 10:52 am Reply with quote
This is the response animenewsservice got.

August 12th,2002
8-12-02---- Cloverway Sailormoon Sailor Stars Dubbing Rumors Response
Regarding recent placements of info on Cloverway, English Dubbing and the final season of Sailor Moon, the studio has responded to our inquiry with the following:
We have been receiving calls from fans and fan clubs inquiring about the status of Sailor Moon Stars. To this date, the situation remains the same. Until the author, publisher, and producer company reach an agreement, we cannot proceed with the dubbing of the series. We are hoping that the negotiations are favorable so that we can launch Sailor Moon Stars in the United States.

This is a very long and complicated process and has been going on for almost two years now; please bear with us. We assure you that the company that we represent (Toei Animation) is doing everything possible to reach a favorable decision and be able to license Sailor Moon Stars in all pending territories all over the world.

We thank you and all the fans for your patience and understanding. Sincerly, Cloverway, Inc.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 4:19 pm Reply with quote
I thought ADV already got the green light for a sub only DVD version of the fifth season? I dunno, I'm not a huge fan.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aya Reiko

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
I thought ADV already got the green light for a sub only DVD version of the fifth season? I dunno, I'm not a huge fan.

Emerje
Though the above letter is a bit dated, I don't doubt much has changed.

ADV has the sub rights to the first two seasons, due out "when it's done". Like I said earlier, if they sell well, I wouldn't be too surprised that ADV persues just going for the sub rights to get around the current logistical nightmare of making the dub of Stars comply with the dub of the past four seasons.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 11:11 pm Reply with quote
lately i'm really starting to love the show "Witch Hunter Robin". this show's awesome, i can't believe it hasn't been licensed yet. i think it would be a big hit in the US.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 12:57 am Reply with quote
Aya Reiko wrote:
Azumanga Daioh

We know for a fact that a license was signed on this title last year, we just aren't 100% sure by who.

ADV is believed to have won the bidding, but they deny having the license. It's possible that they may have passed it on to another company, they've done this before.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 1:56 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Aya Reiko wrote:
Azumanga Daioh

We know for a fact that a license was signed on this title last year, we just aren't 100% sure by who.

ADV is believed to have won the bidding, but they deny having the license. It's possible that they may have passed it on to another company, they've done this before.

Yeah well didn't ADV do something Simular with Noir "no we dont have it, uhh yes we do,No we dont" "OH OK WE HAVE IT Heres a Street date for the dvd and a damn website!"
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 2:03 am Reply with quote
cyrax777 wrote:
Yeah well didn't ADV do something Simular with Noir "no we dont have it, uhh yes we do,No we dont" "OH OK WE HAVE IT Heres a Street date for the dvd and a damn website!"

Yep, exactly. See if I can remember how it worked out; They announced Noir at AX2001, then denied it at SDCC 2001, then early 2002 they said they had it agian, and then quickly denied it until they finally put together a press package around fall 2002. I wouldn't be surprised if they buy a lot of titles that we don't know they have just so they can pick and choose which ones they want to keep and which ones they want to sell to another company like Tempest says, there has to be some sort of profit in that.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 2:34 am Reply with quote
Noir was the following:
1. Announced at AX 2001.
2. Retracted the Monday following AX 2001.
3. Reannounced at ACen 2002. (Our own CorneredAngel ran out the door screaming ADV's praises when they pulled out a pair of Noir wallscrolls. -_-)

Along the way, there were rumors that ADV announced the title too early and was being sued by another domestic company who HAD the rights, rumors that ADV had announced the title too early and got their contract revoked by the Japanese company, and half a dozen other wild explanations.

Basically, from the Noir experience, we can summarize the following:
If a company says they have a title, they have the title.
If the company says they do not have a title, then they do not necessarily NOT have the title.. Merely that they do not want to announce the title. A subtile (OR flat-out) rejection is not indicitive of not having the license to the title.

With the happenings surrounding Berkserk's license, we can also say the following:
If a company says that they are in negotiations to get a license, that license may or may not have been already acquired by another company.

So, in short, we only know for certain if a company has a license when they _say_ they have the license. In negotiations for licenses, and denials of holding licenses do not indicate the lack of the license.
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:

AzuDai announced at AnimeBoston.. by (no suprise) ADV Films.

You had heard it first from us, folks. :p

Silly David Williams claiming that we were wrong... :)
Cgoten

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 12:18 am Reply with quote
Aya Reiko wrote:

Di Gi Charat
Odds of happening: Probably depends entirely on the sales of the English-language manga volumes.
The good, the bad, & the ugly: It's DiGi Charat. There really isn't much more of an explanation beyond that.

I believe that Synch Point has licensed the Di Gi Charat movie.

Also, Bandai got Witch Hunter Robin. I can't wait to get it on DVD. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
BrianC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 2:23 am Reply with quote
What about that anime with the girl who turns into a cute pink pig and gets magical powers? I forgot the name of it, but I have my doubts about it getting a release here. Then again, anime with even stranger transformations have came here(Ranma 1/2 is a good example).

I'm glad that some of Digi Charat and Azumanga Daioh are coming to DVD!
Jlbkwrm
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 3:29 am Reply with quote
Two completely unrelated thoughts on licensing announcements this weekend:

1.) The only real surprises for me this weekend were the announcement of the director's cut Eva license (makes sense in retrospect. Japan's getting fancy new remasters, so the vanilla director's cut license gets cheaper) and Final Fantasy Unlimited. The Madman licensing news sort of took the surprise completely out of the Azumanga (I know ANN had the news first, but the Madman info made a license definite), Abenobashi, and Witch Hunter Robin announcements.

2.) Now that the mega-hyped series have all been announced, what do the studios have left for the rest of the conventions? All I can come up with are continuations of existing series, Wolf's Rain and SaiKano as possibilities. Oh. And Macross Zero, or whichever title Manga may or may not have accidentally announced for Pioeer.
Cassandra

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 9:07 am Reply with quote
Jlbkwrm wrote:

2.) Now that the mega-hyped series have all been announced, what do the studios have left for the rest of the conventions? All I can come up with are continuations of existing series, Wolf's Rain and SaiKano as possibilities. Oh. And Macross Zero, or whichever title Manga may or may not have accidentally announced for Pioeer.

Kodomo no Omocha has still not been licensed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Case

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Cassandra wrote:
Kodomo no Omocha has still not been licensed.

While that's certainly true in and of itself...

...Kodocha doesn't really fit into the same category with Azudai et al, does it? It's a popular series, but it's not as recent as the recently announced licenses. The industry leaders would have to look beyond the pages of Newtype USA to find evidence of its popularity.

I guess all I'm saying is, were you really expecting a Kodocha license to be announced?

Because I haven't been. The way I see it, it's fallen into the ranks of "The Underground Favorites that haven't been licensed yet". I'm not holding my breath for it anymore than I am for Sailorstars or Flame of Recca. Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2