• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
AKIRA Question

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djdaemon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 10:19 am Reply with quote
Yes, I'm a newbie geek, but have a desperate AKIRA question for you guys.

I have been looking for a few years now for an AKIRA DVD of the first English translation. Has the original English translation of AKIRA ever been releasd on DVD, or are all versions this new translation / actors?

Assuming that this older version exists, any ideas where I could find it?

Thanks !!

Dan
Ataru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 5:46 pm Reply with quote
By older, do you mean the Streamline verison. Nope, it hasn't been released on DVD, but some of the video stores that carried it on VHS years before the DVD came out might still have it (I know the Blockbuster up here has it.). You'll know you have have it when it has "Streamline" on the side instead of Pioneer.

Oh yeah. Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tiresias

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I bought the Streamline dub of Akira many years ago, it was actually my first anime purchase (got it at Suncoast). Then when they came out with the new Pioneer DVD special edition release a year or two ago I picked that up. Still love the show, and so does my wife. She actually watched it about 8 or 9 times the first week we had it. She watched the english dub a few times and watched the Japanese with Eng subs the rest of the time except for once when she actually watched the Japanese without any subs. Gotta love DVD.
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 12:50 am Reply with quote
I know that one of the Region 2 discs has the Streamline dub on it. I highly doubt that you care enough about it to pay extra for a Region 2 DVD, but whatever.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
djdaemon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 1:27 am Reply with quote
Brilliant help guys, thanks. Streamline, yes.

Well, I actually live in Region 2 (!) so this would not be a terrible problem, but I've been searching for this for some time here in Region 2 and on the web, with absolutely no luck.

Any ideas where to find esoteric Region 2 DVDs?

I have found that as much as I watch (listen) to the new version, I simply cannot get into it. I continually cringe with the small nuances, changes in tone and attitude. It changes the story, imho. The original Japanese is altogether different than the Stremline version already, but the juxtaposition was also quite cool. But, this new dub .. dunno.

Dan
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1