• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Question of Intrest for me: Card Capture Sakura?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hisdon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:42 am Reply with quote
I'm kinda new to anime. I've seen mostly main stream series (the kinda stuff that's on adult swim) and I was crusing around here for some sujestions on something to look for, and this caught my eye and I was kinda confused. I renember seeing this show in the past and my impression was it was aimed at a very young audience, like digimon, pokemon, ect. However after coming here I've learned there's an unedited version? Refrences to homosexuality in the series? I'm quiet astounded by this. How much WAS it edited? What I saw and what's described here sound like completely different shows. Sorry if this is beating a dead horse cause I didn't search the forums for it, but I'm just a silly nub :/
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:50 am Reply with quote
Hisdon wrote:
How much WAS it edited?

Cardcaptor Sakura (Cardcaptors) is one the most edited animes. Most of the names were changed, episodes were taken out and/or switched around, character personalities were completely altered, all Japanese references and writing was taken out, the opening theme was changed, many side plots and situations were taken out, they attempted to make Li a main character along with Sakura... and more. It was done by a company that wasn't familiar with anime and the result of what they produced wasn't that great. I know someone posted a list of all the edits before, but I can't find it. Both versions were aimed at children though, except the edited version attempted to appeal to both girls and boys as opposed to the original, which was mainly targeted at girls.

Last edited by PantsGoblin on Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:57 am; edited 2 times in total
Pleroma

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:52 am Reply with quote
CCS is infamous for having one of the worst butcherings in anime history. It was't only the homosexuality or all the other "objectionable" content taht got cut. Oh no they remade the whole show by cutting up episodes and reassembling as they saw fit. Bottom line is the real CCS is a wonderful show that got horribly raped and disfigured by the dubbers.
Hisdon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:54 am Reply with quote
Pleroma wrote:
"objectionable" content

emphasis please Very Happy
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:59 am Reply with quote
Card Captor Sakura is targeted at young girls, and in general, it's a super-cute Magical Girl series with a "Card of the Week" plot and various romantic situations, some of them same-sex, some of them opposite-sex. If you want the unedited version, you'll have to watch it in Japanese with subtitles, because the only English version is the awful "CardCaptors," and they never even released all of the CardCaptors on DVD or VHS. Again, the cuteness factor is immense, and if you don't really like "girly" or "childish" anime, you might not like CCS. I liked it, but I'm just weird like that Smile
Hisdon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:03 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Card Captor Sakura is targeted at young girls, and in general, it's a super-cute Magical Girl series with a "Card of the Week" plot and various romantic situations, some of them same-sex, some of them opposite-sex. If you want the unedited version, you'll have to watch it in Japanese with subtitles, because the only English version is the awful "CardCaptors," and they never even released all of the CardCaptors on DVD or VHS. Again, the cuteness factor is immense, and if you don't really like "girly" or "childish" anime, you might not like CCS. I liked it, but I'm just weird like that Smile

It's not a matter of wanting to see it as much as I'm just curious how much it was changed from the origenal form to what was fed to the american market.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:17 am Reply with quote
Oh, here it is. Look in this thread. Tenchi links to a place that cover all the edits pretty well.
Hisdon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:28 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
Oh, here it is. Look in this thread. Tenchi links to a place that cover all the edits pretty well.

<3
Fui

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:34 am Reply with quote
I'm just wondering: In the Clow/Sakura DVD "books" that were released here, they have the original Japanese OP, right? I've seen the edited (or shall I say, completely different) OP on the WB a while back, and it's pretty lame compared to the original. With respect to editing, are the Clow/Sakura DVD books butchered too or are they the uncut original release versions? If they are butchered then that means the "watch with" and "without subtitles" versions would be completely different...
Here's the R1 releases:
Clow Book
Sakura Book

I know they sometimes change the OP/ED when they're released here. For example, on the Chrono Crusade DVDs I own the intro is totally different (except for the song) compared to another (original?) version I saw. I actually like the one released on DVD here better...it's one of my favorite OPs.

Zalis116 wrote:
Again, the cuteness factor is immense, and if you don't really like "girly" or "childish" anime, you might not like CCS. I liked it, but I'm just weird like that Smile

I like CCS a lot, too. I actually didn't think CCS was too bad when it was aired here...but I was like 12 years old and totally retarded so yeah. I even had my parents videotape some of the episodes I couldn't catch but I still missed 90% of the series.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:53 am Reply with quote
Fui wrote:
With respect to editing, are the Clow/Sakura DVD books butchered too or are they the uncut original release versions?

They're completely unedited with the original OP theme and everything. They have actually sold better then the edited version that was released. They included the edited "Cardcaptors" opening theme in the extras too... for some reason, while I like the original better, I seem to kind of like the American made one too, so I'm glad they included it.

Fui wrote:
I like CCS a lot, too. I actually didn't think CCS was too bad when it was aired here

Same here. I like the original more obviously, but I watched "Cardcaptors" around the same time I was into Pokemon so it was technically the second anime I ever got into. I wasn't quite aware of exactly how much it was edited though. I liked it enough to do some research on it so I did know it was edited to some extent. I didn't like the butchering but I will thank them for helping me get interested in anime. They also included the unedited DVD's so I can forgive Nelvana, unlike 4kids.
Kouji

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:56 am Reply with quote
Differences between CC and CCS: Kid's WB skipped the first seven episodes and started the series at episode eight, with the introduction of Li. Many other episodes were also skipped and combined or aired out of order. The Sand Card episode was combined with the first episode in order to create a "flashback episode." Episodes 47 and 48 were combined as a single episode and leftover footage from those episodes was used to create a recap episode that never existed in the Japanese version. The episodes where Sakura transforms the Sword Card and the Fly Card were also combined into a single episode, as well as the last two episodes of the series. CCS has a total of 70 episodes but only 39 out of those 70 were ever aired in the U.S. After CC completed its run on Kid's WB, Nelvana went back and dubbed all the episodes Kid's WB skipped and re-inserted these episodes back into their proper episode ordering. These episodes were aired in all other English-speaking countries along with seperated versions of the combined episodes with signficantly less changes than those episodes that were aired in the U.S. but still heavily edited.

While new openings and endings were used for the U.S., Canada, and the UK, Nelvana dubbed English versions of the Japanese openings and endings for Australia. In the U.S., the Leave It To Kero-chan segments were replaced with a "Card of the day" segment in which Nelvana would reveal a "new" Clow Card by showing random clips from unaired episodes of CC, but in Australia, Nelvana dubbed their own version of Leave It To Kero-chan and renamed it to Kero's Corner (I believe you can even watch some of the Kero's Corner segments online at the official CC site). Every episode has almost two minutes of footage cut out, which mostly consists of anything Nelvana thought was too cute, too funny, or too romantic in order to make the series more appealing to boys. Not only were many "untraditional" relationships cut out, but so were many more "innocent" relationships for no reason at all expect to make it into a boy's show. Relationships cut out in CC include Sakura's crush on Yukito, Sakura's relationship with Shaoran, Tomoyo's crush on Sakura, Shaoran's crush on Yukito, Touya's relationship with Mizuki-sensei, Touya's relationship with Yukito, Terada-sensei's relationship with Rika, Sonomi's obessesion with Nadeshiko, and Yue's crush on Clow Reed. In CCS, Meilin and Shaoran were engaged to each other even though they were cousins, but in CC they're no longer related and Meilin and Li are simply boyfriend and girlfriend rather than engaged, probably one of the few relationships that made it in CC, though little focus is ever given to their relationship.

Flashbacks of action scenes were often added into the episodes, especially those episodes that weren't so action-packed in the original, and would often include clips from unaired episodes of CC. Many subplots were cut out such as the love triangles and the conflict between the Daidouji and Kinimoto family. Sakura's punishment for failing the Final Judgement was changed, too. spoiler[In CCS, if Sakura lost the Final Judgement, everyone involved with the Clow Cards would lose the memory of the person they love most, but in CC, everyone would just forget everything that happened since the Clow Book was opened.] Almost all of the characters' personalities were altered as well. Almost everyone was made to be more sarcastic in CC than in CCS, Tomoyo was turned into a snobby valleygirl now renamed Madison, and Shaoran was turned into the bully of the show now renamed Li Showron.

Almost all of the names were changed to American names and the few names that were kept were badly mispronounced. Sakura for instance was mispronounced as "Suhkoorah" when it should be pronounced as "Sah-ku-rah", all Japanese text was completely erased, and all of the music was changed completely. The first movie was dubbed oddly in that all of the visual footage was left in-tact, but all of the music and dialog was still changed to fit the CC version. Half of the script of the first movie's dub matched the Japanese version almost word-for-word but the other half was completely changed. The biggest part that was changed was the background story about the Sorceress. In CCS, spoiler[the Sorceress was in love with Clow Reed and was desperate to see him to tell him how she felt, but in CC it was changed so that she wanted to have revenge against Clow Reed for sealing her in the well. The ending is also different in that Sakura uses her knowledge to get the Sorceress to stop fighting in CCS, but in CC Sakura practically begs for the Sorceress to let her friends go.] The second CCS movie was dubbed uncut by Geneon and Bang Zoom, but the TV series was heavily edited and this is just a small sampling of the cuts Nelvana made.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Number Six

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

Let's see. You like a show with well developed and unique characters, intelligent and well written plots, and a heroine who solves problems by actually using her brain. Yep, sounds pretty weird to me. Very Happy
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:36 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Kouji"]Differences between CC and CCS: Kid's WB skipped the first seven episodes and started the series at episode eight, with the introduction of Li. [quote]

The reason why this was done was to get boys to watch it, thus having a larger viewing demographic. Instead, no one watched it because it was so disorganized. Of course, I was new to anime at the time it aired on TV so I was surprised that there was an uncut version around that did not resemble in any way, shape or form what I was seeing on TV. But the minute the subtitled version came out, I was there buying it and have not regretted it since.

Get the Clow & Sakura books. You won't be disappointed.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I know they sometimes change the OP/ED when they're released here. For example, on the Chrono Crusade DVDs I own the intro is totally different (except for the song) compared to another (original?) version I saw.

The Chrno Crusade OP changed a few eps into the series in Japan and the newer version was used for the DVD release. The first DVD included the original OP as an extra. The only change made for the US release was replacing the logo (badly, IMO..)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1