• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Great Eastern Lists U.S. Sailor Moon Merchandise

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:16 am Reply with quote
If I were a fan of this series, I would have swooped up those Japanese remaster sets as they were being released. All this waiting for something that may never come would have driven me absolultely crazy by now. Gotta give it to you SM fans. You are dedicated.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:05 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
GracieLizzy wrote:
I'd just like to think Manga or Beez could get the sets released over here too if Funi (please be Funi) has picked it up.

That's very doubtful seeing as how Toei Europe has been overcharging on their other popular tites. It's because of them that One Piece & Dragon Ball Kai has yet to get a UK DVD release (& Blu-ray in Kai's case)..

Sad Oh well if it does happen. I'll import.

NJ_ wrote:
GracieLizzy wrote:
Quote:
Decent re-subtitling by Funi (the amount of name mistakes in S & SuperS were shocking on Geneon disks) would make me happy too.

ADV's subs were pretty bad too which is why i hope to see any resubbing done completely from scratch and with a different translator involved.

Yeah there were some severe problems (attack names completely wrong, use of dub dialogue for catchphrases) but I did respect that they tended realise the mineralogy puns behind the villains names as apposed to just guessing what the names were supposed to be.
E-Master

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:35 am Reply with quote
I too disliked the subtitle job previously provided to the series. Besides better subtitles for the Japanese version, if there's ever a re-dub it would be nice if the original Japanese names are re-entact and not use the English names from the previous dub. Unless there's any restraints that would forbid the original names from being used for a new English dub.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:35 am Reply with quote
One thing that irked me was IIRC they called them the 'Sailor Warriors', and while 'warrior' is an acceptable translation of 'senshi', they clearly say 'Sailor Soldiers' in a lot of the music and background themes.

I'd definitely love a redub of the series, but I wonder how well long running series can do without a television dub to promote it; and they'd have to do some heavy butchering to get it on television; even Funimation (the whole homosexuality thing would never fly on Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon) So we'd get a female Zoicite and Fisheye again, probably.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:31 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
So we'd get a female Zoicite and Fisheye again, probably.

What?

*goes to Google*

No freaking way! I NEVER knew that one. Holy crap.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FaytLein

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:17 am Reply with quote
Well...at least FishEye went around in drag, so you could kind of see where people got confused. Don't know HOW they will explain the Star Lights though...

I still think Funi is the only logical choice for a licensor, I just wonder if they would be willing to redub all 5 seasons and three movies. That's a tall order, but Sailor Moon is guaranteed to make money, so here's hoping!
dooky

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:37 am Reply with quote
I don't know... I think that it would be feasible to keep the characters as their respective genders and dub everything pretty much verbatim... and then simply make some cuts here and there if anything was deemed too saucy for television.

It's not as if Sailor Moon was ever that blatant about homosexuality. A couple of instances of Zoisite and Kunzite cuddling, and Fisheye being flirty. It could be worked around, and then presented dubbed and uncut on the DVDs. As for Haruka and Michiru, they're almost entirely about subtext. The original dub made them cousins and somehow managed to leave all of the lesbian subtext in, and yet there was no explosion of controversy.

Sailor Stars might present a few unique problems of its own, but I think that even these aren't as big as people have convinced themselves they are. Times have changed. Granted, we're still not at in a position of complete acceptance, but the likes of Cartoon Network do now air shows with gay or crossdressing characters. The day (in the late nineties, no less) when I watched an episode of the Powerpuff Girls and saw a crossdressing demon licking another man's face, I knew that American networks weren't quite as conservative as I'd been led to believe.*

We're no longer in a place where networks feel compelled to bend over backwards to extinguish any possiility of The Gay in their shows. Because they tried that, and it didn't work. Homophobic groups aren't going to be stopped by something so trifling as a complete lack of gay content on children's TV. That's why shows like Spongebob and Teletubbies are now accused of furthering a "gay agenda" on the basis of very little evidence. In this situation, when you're going to be accused of furthering a gay agenda no matter what (with, it must be said, little actual impact on your income), there's increasingly less and less of a point in trying to de-gay your shows.

Frankly, if Sailor Moon does air with a new dub, I'd predict that the episode with the most cuts will be the one featuring the violent deaths of the Senshi. Because I'm not sure I'd let my kids watch that.

*And yes, I know it sucks that the first example I could think of was an unambiguously evil character, but that's the way it goes. And it still got on TV.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:01 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
One thing that irked me was IIRC they called them the 'Sailor Warriors', and while 'warrior' is an acceptable translation of 'senshi', they clearly say 'Sailor Soldiers' in a lot of the music and background themes.

Yeah, that was one of the issues i had with ADV's sets when there was something spoken in English and something different is said in the subs most of the time.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:44 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
So we'd get a female Zoicite and Fisheye again, probably.

What?

*goes to Google*

No freaking way! I NEVER knew that one. Holy crap.

Haha Razz I figured everyone already knew that in this day and age. I missed those startled reactions from years ago when people first found out.

dooky wrote:
I don't know... I think that it would be feasible to keep the characters as their respective genders and dub everything pretty much verbatim... and then simply make some cuts here and there if anything was deemed too saucy for television.

I have not seen the dub since I was in school so I wont claim to remember everything 100%, but there were blatant scenes in the original of Haruka flirting with other women to make Michiru jealous,and Seiya being a woman in love with Usagi. I think the only time I see crossdressing in US shows is when it's played for comedy rather than an actual alternative lifestyle. Like in Fairy Odd Parents when the teacher Crocker is forced to model his old mother's dress for her and his students see and make fun of him.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:25 am Reply with quote
The best way to get around the Stars Issue is to air the first seven episodes as a grand finalé and call it a day.

That show (Toei conciser Stars a separate show, it aired the same time as Dragonball GT so make your own conclusions) only gets good again for the final seven episodes but there's a whole metric 'f ton of suck to get through before that.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:32 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
The best way to get around the Stars Issue is to air the first seven episodes as a grand finalé and call it a day.

That show (Toei conciser Stars a separate show, it aired the same time as Dragonball GT so make your own conclusions) only gets good again for the final seven episodes but there's a whole metric 'f ton of suck to get through before that.

Oh i agree, the Nehellenia arc in Stars was the only good thing in that season imo. The show quickly went downhill after it ended and while the last few episodes are considered good to many, it's nonsense when compared to the Stars arc of the manga.
E-Master

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Most people I talk to who watch Sailor Moon knew that the original version had a handful of gay and gender bending characters even though they have seen the English version of the series.

I only watch the Japanese version, but I have read what were the changes to the English version other than omitting any mentionings or anything that hints a character that is gay.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:25 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

I have not seen the dub since I was in school so I wont claim to remember everything 100%, but there were blatant scenes in the original of Haruka flirting with other women to make Michiru jealous,and Seiya being a woman in love with Usagi. I think the only time I see crossdressing in US shows is when it's played for comedy rather than an actual alternative lifestyle. Like in Fairy Odd Parents when the teacher Crocker is forced to model his old mother's dress for her and his students see and make fun of him.

Actually Haruka flirts with Usagi but it doesn't make Michiru jealous, and Usagi is just nonplussed. Michiru however flirts with men to make Haruka jealous... and then Haruka more or less lets people know that, yes, she and Michiru do have sex.

In fact in the anime Haruka and Michiru seem like a much more... well... active couple than in Usagi and Mamoru. It seems Usagi has a somewhat more innocent view on being a couple. Though the manga is different on this, where it implies the possibility of a sex scene in the Dark Moon/R arc, she and Mamoru at the very least makeout in bed. Of course in the manga Mamoru is only 17 to Usagi's 14, not 21 like the anime.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:53 pm Reply with quote
GracieLizzy wrote:
Actually Haruka flirts with Usagi but it doesn't make Michiru jealous, and Usagi is just nonplussed. Michiru however flirts with men to make Haruka jealous... and then Haruka more or less lets people know that, yes, she and Michiru do have sex.

Haha, I just remember one scene where Haruka is sick in bed or something and starts flirting with the nurse and Michiru walks in and is all "Oh, is this a bad time? Wink")
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah I forgot that scene, from the SuperS tie in special.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5