• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth Game Series' Switch Version Delayed Indefinitely in West

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 11:53 am Reply with quote
110% it has to do with censorship. Sad
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:

I’m curious as to whether there’s confirmation of this considering I was told the Switch which is the version being delayed was above this.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 3:17 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Thespacemaster wrote:

I’m curious as to whether there’s confirmation of this considering I was told the Switch which is the version being delayed was above this.

Switch versions of games have generally seen little-to-no censorship in comparison to other versions, contrary to Nintendo's persistent reputation for being so squeaky clean.

It doesn't seem to be a technical problem if the Japanese version is coming out as scheduled. My guess would be something with the contract etc. for distribution in certain regions got caught at the last second.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 8:29 pm Reply with quote
It has to be something else because I’ll admit I’ve played the first game on the Vita (the other two games are in my backlog) but I don’t recall the game having any objectionable content.

Unless there’s a problem with cleavage baring outfits all of sudden.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 10:23 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
It has to be something else because I’ll admit I’ve played the first game on the Vita (the other two games are in my backlog) but I don’t recall the game having any objectionable content.

Unless there’s a problem with cleavage baring outfits all of sudden.

The first game is a lot tamer than the second and third game, which push the rsique content a lot further than just "they wear skimpy outfits".
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Switch versions of games have generally seen little-to-no censorship in comparison to other versions, contrary to Nintendo's persistent reputation for being so squeaky clean.

It doesn't seem to be a technical problem if the Japanese version is coming out as scheduled. My guess would be something with the contract etc. for distribution in certain regions got caught at the last second.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly.

I'm moreso coming from the learned trauma of licensed voices/music getting cut in stuff like Gundam games, is it possible that the rights to something got mucked up for the English market? Otherwise we're approaching Switch 2 territory and we're gonna start seeing a lot of weird dev behavior in the coming months as they try to determine if waiting and releasing an enhanced Switch 2 version of their game is the better play - printing and packaging all of this stuff for a console on its last days definitely incurs a cost, and Neptunia is a tad niche.
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:

Pretty sure there's plenty far worse on the Switch eShop than what the Re;birth trilogy offers. Don't know how things get in Bunny Garden, but that literally released on the Switch a couple weeks back.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JustMonika

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:

Far from it. This isn't Sony we're talking about, lol
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 3:59 pm Reply with quote
No it’s just Nintendo the same publisher that used to have a problem with alcohol, religious references, graphic executions, & other inoffensive content in games published for their systems
light turner

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 5:23 pm Reply with quote
JustMonika wrote:
Far from it. This isn't Sony we're talking about, lol

Nintendo still censors things, even if it's not as bad as Sony. I recall Idea Factory stating they will no longer localize games that need censoring. And Neptunia has had a track record for not having the best localization in the past.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1