• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Japanese TV Special Ranks Top Anime Songs, as Chosen by Foreign Fans

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:59 pm Reply with quote
313133555 wrote:
weird list. i haven't seen much of attack on titan but listening to those songs i rate it as garbage.

Matters of taste aside, you're really underestimating AoT here. “Guren no Yumiya” hit like a sledgehammer and quickly became possibly the most-parodied anime OP ever. I thought it was a pretty damn effective advertisement for the series, and most of the other AoT OPs had strong impact, too.

In general, the top two both aren't surprises and provide an interesting contrast. One is an all-time-classic which has remained popular for decades, while the other is a recent international smash hit that, by any metric other than long-term durability, is one of the biggest anisongs ever.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Heishi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
313133555 wrote:
weird list. i haven't seen much of attack on titan but listening to those songs i rate it as garbage.

Matters of taste aside, you're really underestimating AoT here. “Guren no Yumiya” hit like a sledgehammer and quickly became possibly the most-parodied anime OP ever. I thought it was a pretty damn effective advertisement for the series, and most of the other AoT OPs had strong impact, too.

In general, the top two both aren't surprises and provide an interesting contrast. One is an all-time-classic which has remained popular for decades, while the other is a recent international smash hit that, by any metric other than long-term durability, is one of the biggest anisongs ever.

Yeah, it’s such an epic and amazing song!
Don’t know what he’s on about.

I gotta ask, how awesome would it be if Takanori Nishikawa did a cover of “Guren no Yumiya” with the original singer??
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:30 am Reply with quote
For being international, surprised not to see:
    FLOW - Colors, Sign
    UVERworld - D-TechnoLife
    Asian Kung-Fu Generation - Rewrite
    Olga - Inner Universe, Rise
    T.M. Revolution - Invoke

All of these are classic favorites amongst older generations.

However, fans are creating their own generational favorites now. Despite being just 31, I definitely feel the sharpness of the double-edged sword of classics no longer being popular yet anime thriving more than it did in our time. Confused At least Again made it, as it truly deserves to be commemorated as one of the best of all time! <3 YUI!
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:56 am Reply with quote
Tenbyakugon wrote:
For being international, surprised not to see:
    FLOW - Colors, Sign
    UVERworld - D-TechnoLife
    Asian Kung-Fu Generation - Rewrite
    Olga - Inner Universe, Rise
    T.M. Revolution - Invoke

All of these are classic favorites amongst older generations.

However, fans are creating their own generational favorites now. Despite being just 31, I definitely feel the sharpness of the double-edged sword of classics no longer being popular yet anime thriving more than it did in our time. Confused At least Again made it, as it truly deserves to be commemorated as one of the best of all time! <3 YUI!

To me. Sign is the best OP for any of the Naruto anime series.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:52 am Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
A sample of fewer than 2000 people for a worldwide interest like anime is more anecdotal data than a serious research.

For one, this was a variety special airing during the space in between TV seasons. (I don't know if Sunday nights are big TV nights in Japan) No one expects this to pass peer review any more than Family Feud would.

That being said, I imagine that the fraction of non-Japanese fans who would be aware of TV Asahi, let alone their survey is probably quite small.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Not a single female demographic work made the list. I don´t trust this voting process.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PmChivas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:11 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Not a single female demographic work made the list. I don´t trust this voting process.

Hear!! Hear!! While I'm a fan of many shounen titles, I can't believe no shojou title made this list -- not even the original Sailor Moon!! I feel like this list, other than the top contender, represents what anime are currently popular in the market, and unfortunately, there isn't a super popular shojou/josei anime currently making waves in the international market.

My contenders would have been:
Sailor Moon -- Original OP/ED
Vision of Escaflowne -- OP/ED
The Twelve Kingdoms -- OP/ED
Revolutionary Girl Utena -- OP/ED
Hell Girl -- OP
Gensomaden Saiyuki -- OP
Ouran HS -- OP
Rozen Maiden -- OP
Vampire Knight -- OP/ED
Kimi Ni Todoke -- OP/ED

And those are just the ones I can remember off the top of my head that had opening or ending songs to them that I really liked. I know almost all the anime listed above is considered "old" but their music was popular during their runs.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:52 pm Reply with quote
PmChivas wrote:
residentgrigo wrote:

Hear!! Hear!! While I'm a fan of many shounen titles, I can't believe no shojou title made this list -- not even the original Sailor Moon!! I feel like this list, other than the top contender, represents what anime are currently popular in the market, and unfortunately, there isn't a super popular shojou/josei anime currently making waves in the international market.

Hell Girl -- OP
Gensomaden Saiyuki -- OP
Ouran HS -- OP
Rozen Maiden -- OP
Vampire Knight -- OP/ED
Kimi Ni Todoke -- OP/ED

And those are just the ones I can remember off the top of my head that had opening or ending songs to them that I really liked. I know almost all the anime listed above is considered "old" but their music was popular during their runs.

Mm, I’m not into much shojo, but for the sake remembering, a couple others would be DRM’s My Will and BoA’s Every Heart — Minna no Kimochi. At the very least, it’s nice reminiscing about classics!
Key

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:58 pm Reply with quote
PmChivas wrote:
residentgrigo wrote:

Hell Girl -- OP
Gensomaden Saiyuki -- OP
Ouran HS -- OP
Rozen Maiden -- OP
Vampire Knight -- OP/ED
Kimi Ni Todoke -- OP/ED

Off this list, Escaflowne's OP ("No Need For Promises") is the stand-out to me, and the one I could maybe see making such a list. (While I'm a huge fan of 12K, its OP and ED were merely solid, not all-time greats.)

While the list in the article is far from perfect, many of the songs on it had/have popularity well beyond just their series' fan bases, especially the ones older than 3-4 years. Factor that in and there are a lot of great OPs/EDs that I feel qualitatively deserve to make the cut but just don't have broad enough awareness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:07 am Reply with quote
PmChivas wrote:

If we're talking the original Sailor Moon, Moonlight Densetsu is still very popular in Japan but it should be kept in mind most of the international dubs of Sailor Moon either had their own version of the song or an entirely new theme song all together, so global audiences might not be as familiar with the original song as much. Like in NA your average casual fan still knows "fighting evil by moonlight" more than Moonlight Densetsu.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:47 am Reply with quote
Saint Seiya's popular enough outside the States that I'm surprised Pegasus Fantasy didn't make it in, when the Philippines got Voltes V to #3 on its own.

If this poll had been conducted 15 years ago, I wonder if Let Me Be With You would've made the charts? Bouken Desho Desho and Hare Hare Yukai, definitely; Motteke! Sailor Fuku is much less likely. Maybe Lion (no link because Macross Frontier's second OP doesn't actually seem to be on YouTube). Conceivably, BGC might've even still had enough presence in fandom memory to get Konya wa Hurricane a slot. Probably not Jajauma ni Sasenaide. Probably Sailor Moon and/or Utena, like people have said… probably not I'm a Pioneer, You Get to Burning, No Need for Promises, Through the Night, Get Along, Blue Water, Just Think of Tomorrow, Open Your Mind, You won't see me coming, Driver's High, or even Do You Remember Love.

Quite possibly Duvet, come to think of it. Maybe Sakura Kiss, probably not Sakura Saku. International fandom wouldn't have been nearly cultured enough to vote for Yuusha-Oh Tanjou! or DANZEN! Futari wa Precure, let alone any version of the Cutie Honey OP. I said "15 years ago", which would've been just when Eden of the East had started, so Falling Down wouldn't have been able to make it even with recency bias -- same for Don't Say Lazy. More recent contenders that aren't too recent would've included the WORLD, COLORS, Sorairo Days, Lilium, Gun's & Roses, Yoake Umarekuru Shoujo, Inner Universe, and Soramimi Cake. Uninstall I think was more popular in Japan, and wouldn't have made an international poll -- that goes double for Tori no Uta. Big Dango Family is memorable, but too niche a taste.

…God, I love a good anisong. Though you can tell I don't watch the big shonen shows, ha. Only post-DBZ OPs I know there are We Are and GO!!!. And Gurenge, I guess.

(No, self, do not go back to add in anything from Eureka Seven. Or Big-O!, or the .hack//SIGN OP, or the first SZS OP, or the Beast Player Erin OP. Or Happy Material -- it wasn't even a big deal, you're just nostalgic for the original manga. One-Winged Bird is past your cutoff. And yes, Nana Mizuki and Yukari Tamura are big deals, no, the Nanoha S1 songs aren't. Wait, what the hell is the Mai-Otome ED doing stuck in your head again? And now the Vandread OP?)
omiya

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:05 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Saint Seiya's popular enough outside the States that I'm surprised Pegasus Fantasy didn't make it in,
…God, I love a good anisong.

Even better seeing and hearing them live.

Hearing the duet performance of the Revolution Girl Utena OP "Rinbu Revolution" by Minori Chihara with original vocalist Masami Okui on a since taken down youtube clip drew me in.

As much as Animelo Summer Live focuses on current anime songs, the classics are extremely well received, like when TM Network appeared in 2023 for City Hunter ED "Get Wild" and "Whatever Comes " the OP for City Hunter The Movie: Angel Dust.

If you can get to the likes of Animelo Summer Live / Animax Musix / Lisani or other anime song lives in Japan (whether big label-specific shows like King Super Live or smaller shows), they provide a lot of enjoyment for the audiences and artists.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:49 pm Reply with quote
this article wrote:
Unfortunately, the special isn't available on any streaming service in Japan or abroad. So, watching the special will be difficult.

Yeah, not surprising here, this has been a major complaint for J-pop/J-music fans for many years and I've already repeated this so many times on ANN since 2013. People wondered why J-music didn't make mainstream headline compared to their Korean/K-pop counterpart has been getting in the US for the last few years.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kgw

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:09 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
this article wrote:
Unfortunately, the special isn't available on any streaming service in Japan or abroad. So, watching the special will be difficult.

Yeah, not surprising here, this has been a major complaint for J-pop/J-music fans for many years and I've already repeated this so many times on ANN since 2013. People wondered why J-music didn't make mainstream headline compared to their Korean/K-pop counterpart has been getting in the US for the last few years.

I am saying that since I was buying bootleg Taiwanese SM CDs because Japanese record label didn't believe in "overseas".
timber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:38 am Reply with quote
I don't pay that much attention to music, but yeah even I have some anime classics.
Can't say much for the oldest ones because everything was replaced by French versions but can still mention after I discovered the Japanese versions the Yamato's OP and Cobra OP/ED (note that the French version is excellent too).

Then in the second wave of anime coming to France/Belgium, we have the Vision of Escaflowne OP and music and the innumerable songs from Cowboy Bebop.

Next is the "Dress" (*) and "My broken Wings" OP/ED of Trinity Blood.
(*) This one led be to become a fan of Buck-Tick. Dammit, I still can't get around the fact that Atsushi Sakurai is dead, he's just one year older than me!

I also dig the multiple OP/ED of Aria the Animation and the followup seasons.

For more recent anime, I just tend to forget them more easily. Just one seem to stick to my mind: "Just don't loose your way/Before my body is Dry" from Kill la Kill.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2