• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - So, Is Sound Euphonium Queerbaiting or Not?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cryssoberyl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Cryssoberyl wrote:

If you think compulsory heterosexuality, the societal engine of conditioning, pressuring, and forcing people into a heterosexual lifestyle isn't a lived reality for women of all orientations, you need to re-examine your biases - and the conspiracy theories that have apparently arisen from them.
Good thing I never said any of that and you're proving my point at using the term to deny a bi reading of fictional cartoon characters.

I said nothing whatsoever about any reading of any thing, but sure. Whatever you say.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Oggers wrote:
residentgrigo wrote:
Joss Whedon and or Hannibal queer baited like mad but homosexuality exists in those worlds so it´s all a bit of a shrug.

Will and Hannibal confirm their (very twisted) love for each other at the end of the series, and showrunner Brian Fuller has said multiple times that the Hannigram ship is canon. So no, Hannibal isn't an example of queerbaiting.

Thank you! Honestly, to this day the finale of Hannibal is still one of my favorite romantic episodes of television. Absolutely not queerbaiting.
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Can we not engage in biphobia? Jesus Christ, if someone could read the characters as potentially bisexual, that doesn't mean they're hetero-washing them. Literally claiming bisexual people is hetero-washing someone is denying their queerness and their identity, and that is the definition of biphobia.

Like, stop this.

Sincerely, a bisexual queer disabled adult.
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:16 pm Reply with quote
You can read the characters as bi if you want. I’m not even saying there is a right or wrong interpretation, but the fact that this kind of thing happens so often in anime and manga that it’s a trope…yeah, it’s deeply problematic.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:41 pm Reply with quote
FishLion wrote:
This is where I'm at, I really like shows where there is romantic tension and connection between many characters but without confirmation either way. Everybody gets to have their favorite pairs with no one left out....

Not everyone, since not everyone feels the need to ship characters, particularly those who subscribe to "authorial intent" over "death of the author".

Oggers wrote:
but the way Kumiko and Reina's relationship re: whether or not they're actually into each other is handled has always bothered me, so I'm not sure if I'll watch this current season. Naoko Yamada has said in an interview that she doesn't consider their relationship as "yuri" and "wanted to depict adolescence"...

Well, there we have it. No yuri was intended, which is why some of us are not seeing any.

ANN_Lynzee wrote:
Thank you. As the bisexual female head of this department who had to read the whole thing first before deciding it was okay to publish, I get tired of constantly repeating my various statuses to prove something was valid enough to publish. We just did this a week or so ago about whether writers' opinions about a character's traits had merit based on whether they are neurodivergent or not. I'm kind of tired of having to trot it out or an expectation that the writers also must share this information in order to not be perceived as a cis/het default.

We can go further than that by applying the Categorical Imperative that for a rule to be morally valid it must apply universally, and reductio ad absurdum to this contention that one must be something to pass critical judgement on it. Extending that idea universally would invalidate the scientific method and all scientific knowledge gained through studying things that are not ourselves.
Azure Chrysanthemum

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Speaking as a married lesbian, my wife and I started watching it since I had been in band, we got invested in it because it looked like it was moving heavily into a sapphic relationship and basically lost all interest when that dissipated in favor of crushes on teachers and potato boyfriends. So we just dropped the show and have had no interest in returning to it. The reason, in my eyes, people call it bait is because the first season really did feel like it was building to a sapphic romance and it pulled the rug spectacularly which makes people feel betrayed. I don't believe it's malicious, but it definitely feels like bait and I don't begrudge anyone for being mad about it, honestly I was VERY annoyed which is why I don't watch this show anymore.
Blue Senpai

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
No, but I always think back to Bakemonogtari where Kanbaru just comes out and says "I'm a lesbian." It's that simple and it sure didn't hurt Bakemonogatari's mainstream appeal any. More like that, please.

This is what annoys me whenever I see people make up excuses like "Oh, they can't show this stuff in Japan, that's just the way it is". They absolutely can. The decision not to is 100% deliberate and intentional. I get Bandai doesn't want to focus on something like that in Gundam which is a male-focused franchise and can potentially turn away their consumers especially in foreign markets like China. Or how Yuri on Ice was a worldwide show that had to deal with the fact being gay is illegal in many countries where some of these figure skater characters come from so to represent the sport means you have to pull your punches for the sake of global sensitivities, but again these are all conscious choices. We've seen plenty of anime that explicitly have same-sex content and dialog.. Anime was doing this long before other countries were with their animation. If a character is meant to be gay then 99% of the time it's going to be confirmed no problem. Fans may argue against a creator like in Sound Euphonium's case but 99% of the time its not because the author's hands were tied and they were limited from showing it.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Blue Senpai wrote:

This is what annoys me whenever I see people make up excuses like "Oh, they can't show this stuff in Japan, that's just the way it is". They absolutely can. The decision not to is 100% deliberate and intentional. I get Bandai doesn't want to focus on something like that in Gundam which is a male-focused franchise and can potentially turn away their consumers especially in foreign markets like China. Or how Yuri on Ice was a worldwide show that had to deal with the fact being gay is illegal in many countries where some of these figure skater characters come from so to represent the sport means you have to pull your punches for the sake of global sensitivities, but again these are all conscious choices. We've seen plenty of anime that explicitly have same-sex content and dialog.. Anime was doing this long before other countries were with their animation. If a character is meant to be gay then 99% of the time it's going to be confirmed no problem. Fans may argue against a creator like in Sound Euphonium's case but 99% of the time its not because the author's hands were tied and they were limited from showing it.

This is an extremely reductive (and largely inaccurate) portrait of how any kind of mass media like anime gets produced. When we talk about creators having their hands tied, it often means that somebody in charge of funding is making calls about what does or doesn't make it into the final product. To use Yuri On Ice as an example, the show's lead creators have said that they had to be as explicit as they were, and that things like obscuring Yuuri and Victor's kiss was a compromise with producers who wouldn't approve the episode otherwise.

Changes, edits, and compromises like that are pretty common, and they can vary from stuff as serious as minority representation to stuff as frivolous as "we want this character to have pink hair to be more marketable". Bringing up Monogatarai or other shows counterpoints doesn't really work because the people and circumstances for any project will vary greatly. You might get a production committee with relatively progressive or just hands-off executives who will let the showrunners do what they want. You might have the opposite, with producers basically running the show by proxy with the directors and scriptwriters only handling the on-the-ground work. This isn't like the Hayes code or the MPAA where it's a singular entity making decisions about what is or isn't allowed.

Blue Senpai

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:48 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
This is an extremely reductive (and largely inaccurate) portrait of how any kind of mass media like anime gets produced. When we talk about creators having their hands tied, it often means that somebody in charge of funding is making calls about what does or doesn't make it into the final product. To use Yuri On Ice as an example, the show's lead creators have said that they had to be as explicit as they were, and that things like obscuring Yuuri and Victor's kiss was a compromise with producers who wouldn't approve the episode otherwise.

Changes, edits, and compromises like that are pretty common, and they can vary from stuff as serious as minority representation to stuff as frivolous as "we want this character to have pink hair to be more marketable". Bringing up Monogatarai or other shows counterpoints doesn't really work because the people and circumstances for any project will vary greatly. You might get a production committee with relatively progressive or just hands-off executives who will let the showrunners do what they want. You might have the opposite, with producers basically running the show by proxy with the directors and scriptwriters only handling the on-the-ground work. This isn't like the Hayes code or the MPAA where it's a singular entity making decisions about what is or isn't allowed.

By creators I meant everyone involved. Sponsors, production committee, writers everyone. My point is when people try to say Japan is too conservative to allow any kind of same-sex content in media it's wrong because we see plenty examples of it. The decision to block the kiss in Yuri on Ice was a deliberate choice in production and not because of some all powerful Hayes code like you say that bans it from Japanese television or media. Obviously a series like Monogatari is not going for the same mainstream audience given all the other content in it so they don't have to worry about it.
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Nev999 wrote:
...Do girls have to have sex onscreen for you to think "that's gay"?)

No, but I always think back to Bakemonogtari where Kanbaru just comes out and says "I'm a lesbian." It's that simple and it sure didn't hurt Bakemonogatari's mainstream appeal any. More like that, please.

Less like that please. That's just bad writing. If you need exposition to explain everything, you're not doing it correctly.
The Anime Binge-Watcher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:25 pm Reply with quote
ZiharkXVI wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:
Nev999 wrote:

Less like that please. That's just bad writing. If you need exposition to explain everything, you're not doing it correctly.

"Having a character explicitly confirm they're LGBT is bad writing" is... not a take I ever expected to hear.
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:45 pm Reply with quote
The Anime Binge-Watcher wrote:
ZiharkXVI wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:
Nev999 wrote:

"Having a character explicitly confirm they're LGBT is bad writing" is... not a take I ever expected to hear.

I know it's not a common one. I actually really liked this show and I wonder why not just leave it to the story itself? Do the 2 people actually in love need to state their preference? Maybe if you treat the romance as natural as it unfolds in the story, it truly won't matter if its explicitly stated (probably far more powerful actually). Then again, I enjoy ambiguity and the ability to interpret the complexity of the tale. Spelling everything out is boring, and I find terribly uninspired. It's like reading a series of webtoons where the main character immediately declares to the reader something like, "I'm gay". Okay. You probably didn't have to tell me that. I could figure it out from the story itself and the author can do better (perhaps they feel the need to rush the point?). Again, I feel like that's a horrible method of representing sexuality in media. I mean, if it's a webtoon, I'm not expecting much. But if you're going to spend time crafting an animated story, I just think it can be better.
The Anime Binge-Watcher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:48 pm Reply with quote
ZiharkXVI wrote:
ZiharkXVI wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:
Nev999 wrote:

I know it's not a common one. I actually really liked this show and I wonder why not just leave it to the story itself? Do the 2 people actually in love need to state their preference? Maybe if you treat the romance as natural as it unfolds in the story, it truly won't matter if its explicitly stated (probably far more powerful actually). Then again, I enjoy ambiguity and the ability to interpret the complexity of the tale. Spelling everything out is boring, and I find terribly uninspired. It's like reading a series of webtoons where the main character immediately declares to the reader something like, "I'm gay". Okay. You probably didn't have to tell me that. I could figure it out from the story itself and the author can do better (perhaps they feel the need to rush the point?). Again, I feel like that's a horrible method of representing sexuality in media. I mean, if it's a webtoon, I'm not expecting much. But if you're going to spend time crafting an animated story, I just think it can be better.

Genuine question, do you think that gay people irl just... never tell other people "I'm gay"? Do you think they just keep it bottled up and hope you can guess their sexuality from spending time together?
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:58 pm Reply with quote
ZiharkXVI wrote:
ZiharkXVI wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:
Nev999 wrote:

Genuine question, do you think that gay people irl just... never tell other people "I'm gay"? Do you think they just keep it bottled up and hope you can guess their sexuality from spending time together?

You're missing my point, but no I don't think that (although I do think many are not actually open about it). My point is as a story about 2 young girls exploring a relationship in this particular anime, I don't think they are people who even know what they are. Isn't that the point? I mean, we can skip to the end to come up with a simple answer for the reader, but isn't that what the story is for? Is it going to make it a better story for them to turn to the audience and confirm whatever it is the author decides? In the right time and place maybe, but I think I'd do that sparingly.
Kelohmello

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:31 am Reply with quote
Oggers wrote:
Naoko Yamada has said in an interview that she doesn't consider their relationship as "yuri" and "wanted to depict adolescence", which unfortunately feeds into the idea that the intimacy of their relationship is just a phase that they're expected to grow out of.

I think this is a crucial part of this conversation that affects how people should talk about the subject. Because while I see the perspective and even agree that there are some anime that use this sort of character arc to reject homosexuality as a concept, I don't think that the depiction of a heterosexual person exploring their sexuality in a broader sense only to end up just adhering to heteronormativity is inherently bad or even intended to be malicious to actual queer people.

It's a conversation that comes up often in the Persona 4 community because that has two characters who struggle with the possibility that they may be gay or trans. And many LGBTQ people, understandably frustrated with a lack of depiction of queer folk in media in general, get angry that both of those characters end up just being like everyone else in the cast. Some have described it as queerbaiting.
The problem I have with that perspective is that what those characters go through in that story is a real thing that some cishet people, maybe even most, go through. And these stories are being told by... well, cishet people, who might have gone through similar experiences. To a queer person it probably seems like an attempt at erasure. But frankly, I think that most of the time it genuinely is just an author tapping into the feelings they felt during their own adolescence to create a story that resonates first and foremost with them, and then people like them. It's not only much harder to create a story from the perspective of someone whose shoes you've never walked in, when done wrong it's deeply harmful. Most don't try it.

There's also just alot of things to be said about sexuality as a spectrum and how labeling ourselves so cleanly into specific groups is actually somewhat harmful regardless of where you stand on said spectrum. Then I have questions about why platonic relationships depicted beyond a certain level of intimacy have to then carry the implication of sexuality or romance when that never has to be inherent to any relationship. But I could rant about these things for days. I just wanted to offer my own view on this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6