• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:10 am Reply with quote
slippery fluidity... defines all good animation..."

No.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:17 am Reply with quote
Okay, that was unneccessarily curt. But while that's a good description of one kind of slick, popular animation, I think it's a procrustian standard.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Aaron White wrote:
I think it's a procrustian standard.

It's "procrustean."
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:17 pm Reply with quote
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me, or does each shelf life sound like a blog? Now all Bamboo needs is to post some photos of herself wearing Emo clothes while writing angsty Goth poetry. :lol:
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it's this funny form of writing called an "opinion column." By writing an opinion column, I'm giving you my personal opinion. If it didn't have my personal opinion, it would no longer be an opinion column. See how that kind of works?

Good animation = fluid animation. Choppy animation, though it might be a stylistic thing, under the most *general* terms = bad animation. Fluid = good. Choppy = bad.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I've come off way snide and I didn't mean to, but my online rhetoric skews that way, like a grocery cart that veers to the left. Anyway, I don't think the kind of slippery fluidity one finds in X is like the spastic animation one sees in Ren and Stimpy, or the limited but imaginative work one finds in the best Astro Boy, or the slow-paced early Ranma animation that I found so hypnotic when I discovered Anime.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Well, I see your point and I agree with you that not all animation has to be fluid to be good. However, when you think of the term "good animation," one of the first things you think of is "fluid." For example, a series can have slow animation, but as long as it doesn't visibly jerk, then that makes it good animation. My definition of "good" animation is from a merely technical standpoint. Either way, I see and agree with your point, so I'll concede to you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1