• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nelvana & FUNimation teamup

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Wait, somebody mentioned Sam and Max! And, uh, Rock n' Rule!

I found a few stray episodes of the Sam and Max cartoon on the internet a little while ago. They're quite pared down compared to the game, and the comics, but they're still quite funny. I'm not a fan of a lot of the new characters they added in, but whatever. Not sure if I'd be interested in owning them on DVD, but I'm sure other people will, so hopefully Funi will take note.

In all honesty, the only thing I'm really seeing from this partnership would be a DVD release of Rave Master. Would a company like Funimation really want to touch other Nelvana properties like Franklin the Turtle? Rescue Heroes? Et cetera.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Retrohelix

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 10:11 pm Reply with quote
FUNimation - 4Kids Entertainment - Nelvana (aka the Legion of DOOM Razz, DIC being Lex Luthor)
Friends or Foes? Can we trust them?
The fate of the anime society relies on the hands of these people, are they up to the challenge (not the challenge of the Superfriends Razz)?
Should they fail we would have to face total extinction......well not really, just to go back to downloading subbed versions online O_o.

Now seriously, i know a lot of people are still mad at funi for making up their own stuff for dbz, even the movies they haven't finished working on are gonna be, well, crappy, however, they did a very good job on yu-yu hakusho, and there are some series i would rather see in funi's hands instead of the ones that already licensed them Smile.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 6:15 am Reply with quote
they werent ruined, and the movies are being released at a decent rate. Besides, you still have your subbed version, or haven't you read any of the previous posts?

Oh yehs, thats right, you haven't
Ataru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 8:23 am Reply with quote
*Leaves a crate of M16s and M249s.* Maybe you people want to end this the old fashion way. So what 4Kids and Nelvana hacked up anime in the past, big whoop. Atleast when Nelvana releases anime though Fun, it'll have a uncut and subtitled, hopley.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 8:44 am Reply with quote
-_- I would be screaming "doom! doom!" if it weren't for Fruits Basket. *was screaming "doom doom" when funi got Furuba* Please God let them do good. I, like most people have been against Nelvana for Cardcaptors. -_- Yes, releasing a sub was a GREAT idea, but it still doesn't overule the fact that they released the worst dub for an anime that North America has seen in the last 10 years. >.< Please let them do good with this. Hopefully they'll improve dubs together.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 11:18 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
I, like most people have been against Nelvana for Cardcaptors. -_- Yes, releasing a sub was a GREAT idea, but it still doesn't overule the fact that they released the worst dub for an anime that North America has seen in the last 10 years.

It does for me... an intact sub was all I wanted out of the deal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KiroLinau

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Listen up Emerje because I don't want to have to "argue" with you for 10 pages. I understand your position that you're tired of hearing complaints about Funimation or Nelvana. But thjat gave you no right to jump on me like you did. This is what you said:

Quote:
Even Nelvana allowed Pioneer to do an UNCUT SUBTITLED version of Cardcaptor Sakura and people still bitch about them. What does it take to make you people happy? Howabout taking off the blinders and actually pay attention to the stuff happening around you TODAY not three, five, seven, 10 years ago!

Now I am not a stupid person so don't take me for one. If that wasn't a rude and unnecessarily harsh response to my exagerated joke then I must be crazy. And yes it was a joke because I wouldn't own all of Blue Gender if I was anti-Funi. Or even if I hated them. I just said I didn't like them because of what they did to DB.

You say what I said was an outright attack on you. Maybe it was, but how would you feel if you posted about something you found hilariously ironic, and someone immediately wrote back insinuating you and basically said that you are a moron who needs to "wake up". Of course you didn't say that exactly but it's pretty close in my opinion. Also, I never argued your right to counter my opinion. It just irritated me how you did it. If you had soomething more along the lines of "Well to be fair both Funimation and Nelvana have made alot of changes and are doing much better", I would have argeed with you whole heartedly. Instead you were snide at best. And I respond to people like that the best way I know how. So let that be clear lest other people should jump in making me out to be some sort of trouble-maker, because they are either biast or only see my not so subtle approach at dealing with people who like to subtly insult people. Which I feel is what exactly happened here.

So then, I made a joke, you didn't get it or felt it wasn't funny due mostly to your irritation with other people. So you responded in what I felt was a sarcastic and insulting tone. I responded in a less than subtle way with an insulting tone. and now we're at this point. And just to be very clear for others who got involved. I never said once you couldn't express your opinion. I never complained once about your opinion, only how you wrote to me.

So with that issue hopefully cleared, up there should be no more arguments. I didn't come here to get off on the wrong foot with someone. And I don't even know you Emerje, so I don't want to have negative preconceptions of you. So let's just end it here. I'm not going to write any more responses related to this. So I don't want a mob of people attacking me and saying I'm causing trouble. I'm defending myself and that's all.

On one last note I'd like to thank Kyo who posted right after my initial post, for not attacking me. Even though you had ample oppertunity. And I'd like to thank Kanna no Mai for taking a risk and backing me up. I do love the new Dragon Ball. And I didn't like their orriginal release of it.

But over all I was referring to how Funi changed DBZ. Mostly how they completely replaced the series music. I am a huge fan of the orriginal music. At anyrate I hope this issue has been cleared up.
Hotaru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed your sarcasm too, Ki. I know we've complained about this for eons, Emerje, but it's not like the same person saying the same thing over and over. He brought it up once, and he's new here so it's not like he's been complaining since...five, seven, ten years ago.

Anyway, yeah, FUNi is better now, but that doesn't exactly make up for what they did in the past. But...lets let sleeping dogs lay.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Ataru wrote:
*Leaves a crate of M16s and M249s.* Maybe you people want to end this the old fashion way. So what 4Kids and Nelvana hacked up anime in the past, big whoop. Atleast when Nelvana releases anime though Fun, it'll have a uncut and subtitled, hopley.

One thing, we don't even know if any of these titles will be Anime.

You can see Nelvana's catalog right here:

http://www.nelvana.com/shows/index.asp

To my knowledge the only Anime on that catalog are Cardcaptors and Medabots. Both of which already have distribution deals.

Interestingly, there are exactly 44 titles in that list, but that's purely coincidental. According to the press release, Nelvana's catalog includes some 2400 titles, Beyblade for example isn't even on the above list.

So really, while this deal is newsworthy for Anime News Network, the actual impact for Anime fans will probably be nil.

-t
Hotaru's Sister

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:

So really, while this deal is newsworthy for Anime News Network, the actual impact for Anime fans will probably be nil.

-t

Interesting point. It probably will have no impact on any of us afterall : p

As for the topic at hand, I will say FUNimation has been doing alot better as of late but their track record is still crap. Think of it this way:

You're an employer. You have a new project that you hand over to employee F. For years employee F works on this project, repeated making mistakes that others compain about. After several years of reprimanding employee F, he says okay, and begins to change how he's doing things and eventually starts to fix what he's done so far.

More recently you gave a project to employee N. Employee N decides to do the project his way because he thinks it'll work better. Then, to appease those who agreed with the original project he sayd he'll let another employee do it the original way. Employee N's project is a failure while the original works out well. Since then employee N hasn't taken any more projects from your company.

Now, you have a new project that requires two employees to work together. Would you choose employees F and N, given their track record?

Sorry for the wrong and rambling post. This just came to mind as I was reading all of these posts.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Hotaru's Sister wrote:
More recently you gave a project to employee N. Employee N decides to do the project his way because he thinks it'll work better. Then, to appease those who agreed with the original project he sayd he'll let another employee do it the original way. Employee N's project is a failure while the original works out well. Since then employee N hasn't taken any more projects from your company.

However, Even though Employee N didn't do the work himself, the work would never have been done if it wasn't for him. Only he could authorize the other employee to do it, and only Employee N had the material for it to be done with. And no mater how hard this other employee works on it, Employee N is still going to get credit for it. Employee N could have left things the way he wanted it done initially and not let this other employee touch the project, but was willing to allow the project to take two forms. In the end Employee N is actually credited with doing the same project two different ways. Also Employee N doesn't really need to do any projects with this "japanese" company because he's already got his hands full with several "canadian" projects, but nothing is actually stoping from doing more "japanese" projects.

OK, quick responce to KiroLinau. First off, I never calld you stupid, or a moron, I simply said you had to take a better look at what is happening today rather than looking at the companies damaged pasts. Now, if advice is an insult, then I guess I'm guilty. Second you rational is wrong. What I said was a counter, hell, maybe even an attack, on your OPPINION. What you countered with was a very, very low attack on me. How would I have responded were I in your possition? First off, I wouldn't take it personally, second I would focus on the persons argument, not the person themself. You also said It's OK for me to make an oppinion, but you also said I coudn't "mouth-off" to you. Whether you like what I said or not, by saying that you make it sound like you don't want me to counter you.You also said I made no substantial points, However you quoted me doing just that and I also made the coment of "when was the last time FUNi released a title like that, 1996?" so you can see I did make some points, not just talk, not all that different from what you suggested I should say.

Now, this is where I'm going to leave it since it's fairly obvious I won't be able to get you to see things my way.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 8:23 pm Reply with quote
The truth about "Employee N", though, is that his "way of doing things" was with the full approval of "Japanese licensor K" and the opinions of the fans were actually fairly irrelevant, except in getting them to sublicense the alternate, subtitled version to "Employee P". "Employee N"'s way of doing things proved to be a commercial failure, but it was because his "way of doing things" never really found an audience with the North American pre-teens they aimed it at, not because of any objections from the true fans, and I simply chose to ignore it all along since there was the sub...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ataru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:

One thing, we don't even know if any of these titles will be Anime.

To my knowledge the only Anime on that catalog are Cardcaptors and Medabots. Both of which already have distribution deals.

Interestingly, there are exactly 44 titles in that list, but that's purely coincidental. According to the press release, Nelvana's catalog includes some 2400 titles, Beyblade for example isn't even on the above list.

-t

Dang, I didn't relized that some of the back catolog was stuff like "Berenstain Bears", "Pippi Longstocking", and "Dog City". Uh, so what was everyone getting upset about again. The fact of what has happened in the past to their favorite kiddie show, or the fact that the fact that Pippi Longstocking DVDs won't be uncut. Fun is doing okay for itself, thanks to mostly for Dragonball Z, partarnship with 4Kids and now Nelvana, but to say that their track record bites is like say to Evangelion is the reason why ADV doesn't sell much of anything.

On a side note: It wasn't too long ago that someone left the board becasue of sarcastic remakes. So, if your going to make a joke, it clear that is a joke, like Retrohelix remark about The Legion of Doom. RELAX, it's not like rep will be hurt if don't make fun of Nalvana for something that happen 5 years ago.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
KiroLinau

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 2:21 am Reply with quote
Ok Emerje, this is begining to annoy me. I'd like to point out how pompous what you said sounds.

Quote:
Now, this is where I'm going to leave it since it's fairly obvious I won't be able to get you to see things my way.

I didn't realize I had to see things "your way". That's pretty obnoxious of you. I mean, I made a joke. See if you can read this... a J-O-K-E. It was an exaggerated sarcastic joke about the irony of two companies with horrible track records joining forces. And all you have done since I made the joke is whine and cry about my statement and opinion. It wasn't a legitimate counter, it was an annoyed attack on me because what I said frustrated you. You just don't want to admit it because that would make you out of line. And because of how you responded to me I defended myself. You may say that I shouldn't take it so personally and focus on the argument and not the person. But you fail to do exactly that. You attacked me and said I should wake up. Basically saying I was a dope who wasn't seeing what was going on around me. When all I did was make a simple joke. I don't appreciate that and I am sure as hell not going to sit there and take it. I take enough of that crap from other people. Who do you think you are that you can be snide and go around attacking people for their opinions. Then when they defend themselves you say they can't?! Do you feel the only opinion should be yours? Also I never said you called me a moron, if you read my post correctly you see I said:

Quote:
how would you feel if you posted about something you found hilariously ironic, and someone immediately wrote back insinuating you and basically said that you are a moron who needs to "wake up". Of course you didn't say that exactly but it's pretty close in my opinion.

Also I never said you made no substantial points. I have no idea where you got that.

So look, drop it cause I'm bored of this. This is not what I came here for and I am tired of running into people like you. And just a note here; If there is any confusion with anyone who feels they need to get involved here, please refer all the way back to the very first post. That's where I said something harmless. Shortly after I saw a reply that was unnecessarily insulting. I am not some whiny anti Funi ranter. Cause get this... I've never even commented about
them on a board before... ever. So when I receive this response to a joke:

Quote:
Really, when was the last time FUNi released a title like that, 1996? Quit complaining about their past and try looking at the stuff their doing right now... or die trying.

Even Nelvana allowed Pioneer to do an UNCUT SUBTITLED version of Cardcaptor Sakura and people still bitch about them. What does it take to make you people happy? Howabout taking off the blinders and actually pay attention to the stuff happening around you TODAY not three, five, seven, 10 years ago!

I don't appreciate it, plain and simple. You made assumptions about me that you couldn't prove there. Was I harsh with my response afterwards? Yes I was. Did you appreciate my assumptions on what kind of person you were? You obviously didn't. So there you go. You don't know me, or what I like or what I do. You were wrong to assume and say things to me like you did up there.

End point.
Hotaru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 9:32 am Reply with quote
Okay...Emerje, Kiro made a joke. A funny joke that was poking fun and pointing out the obvious horrendous pasts of the two merging companies. It was probably his first post here too...

Your reaction was "Oh god, i can't believe he's going off about this again!" and you proceeded to go on about how basically he should quit complaining, stop looking at their past works and look at stuff like blue gender. Could you have maybe...not done so so...rudely (for lack of a better word)?

For example: "Yeah, FUNi and Nelvana have had a bad past but you should look at their more recent works before bashing them"

Or something. Maybe you had a bad day, but it seems like you're just out to get Kiro. He's new here, and you're 1 making him feel unwelcome and 2 probably giving other people negative opinions about him. He tried to drop this several times, and once you have your say then you say "ok, i'm just going to drop this now."
Come on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3