• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Monster Rancher - would you buy It?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashna

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:55 am Reply with quote
Well, I suppose the English audio could just give out at areas where there was no dub track - Funimation did something similar with a few places in the original Dragonball series. The English track just has music where the original Japanese has narration that was never dubbed over. That is assuming, of course, that the cuts were only ever done sequentially, and no Frankenstein editing of episodes ever occurred.
AmishGramish

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:26 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Just give me it all on DVD as it aired on Fox Kids and I'll be happy.

Oh and if you could get cracking on 'mankin' and Ultimate Muscle, that'd be awesome too.

Oh no! Ultimate Muscle! I forgot about that one! Very Happy
AmishGramish

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:44 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
I'm a bit confused on how you'd make an uncut Monster Rancher release. The English dub was edited, and thus just laying it over the Japanese video will result in problems (with scenes that weren't dubbed). You could use branching, but that hurts image quality.

As I said before, they'd be brand new renders from the Digital Betacam masters.

More specifically, I'd get both versions (Original Uncut Japanese and Edited English) of the 73 episodes converted.

Overlaying English on the Japanese video and skipping parts that were cut out would end up making a less fluid playthrough for paying customers, although it would save on space and make the sets cheaper to physically produce. This would make add expense to design it to skip these parts when playing the English audio.
Likewise, it would cost a lot to pick and choose which scenes go along with which version while keeping the same video when it's the same in each version.

So, there will be completely different audio/video streams for each version to increase "viewability" and to decrease technical costs. More DVDs, but a better experience.

EDIT:
I just wanted to make sure that you know that there are two separate Digital Betacam tapes per episode. One unedited in Japanese and one edited in English.
AmishGramish

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:02 am Reply with quote
vashna wrote:
I am on a slow Internet connection myself, so DVD is often a better option, but if Hulu is available I would certainly look at watching it online. We are only talking a legitimate, licensed release of it on Hulu, correct? Not at all trying to be rude of course!

Yes. Completely legitimate, licensed release.

And as a reminder, these would be new conversions from the Digital Betacam Masters.

Basically, on the day the first DVD set is released, the first episode would go up on Hulu, and then each week a new one would release. The same with the second and third seasons.
Only the English dub would be available online. You'd have to buy the DVDs to watch the Japanese dub.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:30 am Reply with quote
So then the DVDs would have both sub and dub? Because if it's sub only, a lot of us are going to want the nostalgia of the dub and just go over to hulu. I am guessing though that a lot of us would be ok with the English OP being a DVD extra if it would be easier to keep the Japanese opening on the dub on the DVD to make things match up better (at least I'd be ok with that, so long as I can still see the English OP in some way on the DVD I'd be fine).
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:11 pm Reply with quote
vashna wrote:
Well, I suppose the English audio could just give out at areas where there was no dub track - Funimation did something similar with a few places in the original Dragonball series. The English track just has music where the original Japanese has narration that was never dubbed over. That is assuming, of course, that the cuts were only ever done sequentially, and no Frankenstein editing of episodes ever occurred.

Funimation has never done something like that.
AmishGramish

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:43 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
So then the DVDs would have both sub and dub? Because if it's sub only, a lot of us are going to want the nostalgia of the dub and just go over to hulu. I am guessing though that a lot of us would be ok with the English OP being a DVD extra if it would be easier to keep the Japanese opening on the dub on the DVD to make things match up better (at least I'd be ok with that, so long as I can still see the English OP in some way on the DVD I'd be fine).

Yes, the DVDs would have both sub and dub, and would have separate video streams for each language track as well.
vashna

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:56 am Reply with quote
Primus, I mean no disrespect, but I've been watching Funimation's Dragonball release, and early on Chichi is riding on the Flying Nimbus with Goku. In the English track, there is simply nothing at that point, though I do beg forgiveness for not remembering the particular episode. In the Japanese track, the narrator explains that Chichi has felt embarrassed because of where Goku touched her, but will now be his wife in the distant future. I assume that the narration was considered inappropriate for western audiences, and therefore was cut from the English. I was watching this on a rented disc from Netflix, so I am very sure it was an official release. I want to add that I would not watch unlawful releases, and therefore, I am very glad this Monster Rancher proposition would be licensed.
AmishGramish

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Someone sent me a PM today, so I guess I'll share an update on this:

I hit a stumbling block with the licensing agreement, but after I get some things sorted out, I will go ahead and try to work with them again. They were really excited about this prospect, and know that there are a lot of fans in the U.S. who are still willing to buy a show that's been off the air for a decade.

Also, I've been very busy with things. (I'm working for thatgamecompany, and TODAY we're releasing Journey for the PlayStation 3. I'm the guy who posts on Twitter, Facebook, and whatnot, so it's very busy for me. I also have all sorts of things with my company aside from the anime stuff.)

So, no one worry! I'd gladly lose $10,000+ on this just to get it out to fans! If they let me license it, I certainly will!
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:53 pm Reply with quote
vashna wrote:
Primus, I mean no disrespect, but I've been watching Funimation's Dragonball release, and early on Chichi is riding on the Flying Nimbus with Goku. In the English track, there is simply nothing at that point, though I do beg forgiveness for not remembering the particular episode. In the Japanese track, the narrator explains that Chichi has felt embarrassed because of where Goku touched her, but will now be his wife in the distant future. I assume that the narration was considered inappropriate for western audiences, and therefore was cut from the English. I was watching this on a rented disc from Netflix, so I am very sure it was an official release.

I've noticed this as well. The dub adds in a bunch of gag one liners and removes some of the more risque stuff in dialog (though it still happens on screen) Like in the first episode in the original Japanese Bulma offers Goku to grope her butt, but in the dub she just says 'she'll let him have a peak'. Also later on when she pees her pants and it runs down her leg the dub doesn't mention it, but in the sub they point it out.. I guess they figured if they didn't mention it people may have thought it was just sweat or water or something. Then when Bulma sees Goku naked in the dub she just says boys don't have tails, but in the sub she says 'I've never seen a boy nude, but I thought they only had tails in front". Or when he sees Bulma nude in the sub he talks about how she has a 'butt' on her chest and this goes on for like 2 minutes but she calls him a pervert and drives him off, and the dialog in the dub is just about Goku having a tail and she doesn't and she drives him off because she doesn't want a tail and tails aren't that cool.

I think the main difference here is the Monster Farm dub skipped some episodes, like the Liger VS Grey Wolf one (important to the plot, but way too violent for American TV kids shows). So I'm not sure if they were dubbed and just never aired, or they never dubbed them at all, which would make a dub/sub combo release a bit hard if yo have sub-only episodes in there. I think they might have to go the route that Cat Ninden Teyandee/Samurai Pizza Cats is going.. one set for sub, one set for dub.
Expias

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure if I caught everything but i'd like to comment.

I am very much in love with Monster Rancher as well as Monster Farm. I would love watching the dub episodes on Hulu as well as buying the subbed season box sets. Would the episodes on Hulu be available for free or only for Hulu+ users? Some extras could possibly be the Monster Farm dance videos at the end of the VHS volumes?

@TitanXL: I believe all episodes were aired at least once, but some episodes were never aired again and some were skipped by some networks.
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:48 am Reply with quote
vashna wrote:
Primus, I mean no disrespect, but I've been watching Funimation's Dragonball release, and early on Chichi is riding on the Flying Nimbus with Goku. In the English track, there is simply nothing at that point, though I do beg forgiveness for not remembering the particular episode. In the Japanese track, the narrator explains that Chichi has felt embarrassed because of where Goku touched her, but will now be his wife in the distant future. I assume that the narration was considered inappropriate for western audiences, and therefore was cut from the English. I was watching this on a rented disc from Netflix, so I am very sure it was an official release. I want to add that I would not watch unlawful releases, and therefore, I am very glad this Monster Rancher proposition would be licensed.

There's a difference between selective script writing, which is what you're talking about. The footage where the narrator spoke that dialogue was still in the dub. The difference between that and Monster Rancher is that Monster Rancher would remove that scene entirely. So, say Chi-Chi was whimpering or something in that scene, because Monster Rancher would've removed that footage entirely there would be an English version of Chi-Chi's whimper, and you can't really switch to the Japanese audio, or just mute the sequence since audiences will want to know what happens.
vashna

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:19 pm Reply with quote
To be totally honest, I have a release of Ultraman that does that in scenes that were never dubbed. I mean, of course, the original live action 1960s era Ultraman show. There were scenes that weren't in the dub, and in this version they suddenly switch over to Japanese audio and temporarily subtitle it. I assume that's through a subtitle track that only has a little bit of text for those scenes. Would that sort of thing work for this type of an arrangement?

I should probably note that recently I finally switched from dialup to broadband Internet, so if Hulu was an option, I'd watch it happily on Hulu. I would just be happy to see the show again, to be completely honest.
Mr Sinister

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:31 pm Reply with quote
I would definitely buy it if it still had the dub. That was a pretty fun show, and I miss Maggie Blue O'Hara.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:57 pm Reply with quote
I was just thinking, Samurai Pizza Cats was recently announced to have two separate sets, one for dub and one for sub, and a lot of reactions seemed to be either "I'm totally buying at least one, probably the dub" or "I'm totally buying both, but probably the dub first". And Robotech did this for not one, but three Japanese shows (and yes, I totally bought them all in both dub and eventually sub, so I can't even say I wouldn't do it again for sure if it's a show I really like). So, maybe not the ideal solution to get it all out in one chunk, but fans of a show won't mind buying both it seems.

If it actually can be done on one set with separate video feeds, that would be sweet too, but it would certainly make changing from one track to the other difficult. One disc for dub and one for sub in the same set could work (Rental Magica did this with chronological vs broadcast order if I'm not mistaken), but if fans are willing to pay for both, it seems like two sets might be feasible too. But if putting both on there might make the video look less good, people will almost certainly complain (I'm just remembering Toradora here, and heck, the Brony community seems to notice absolutely every single animation error in every episode), so yeah, I'd expect people to go through it with a fine toothed comb now that things don't look like VHSs anymore. It might cost a bit more, but it might also be safer as lots of complaining people will lead to needing to smooth up the discs then replace them (for free) while hurting sales in the interim (Toradora people all demanded disc replacements, and iirc, they got them too), and refusal to attempt to do so will likely result in boycott. Whelp, anyway, that's my 2cents on dub and sub for a series that changes footage.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5