• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What to do if you've been banned or moderated

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Announcements & The Rules
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:24 pm Reply with quote
If you've been temporarily banned the ban message will tell you why and for how long. If it does not tell you why, or how long, feel free to e-mail [email protected] . Note: there is no appeal process, we will merely inform you why and for how long, do not e-mail us to argue your case or ask for clarification.

If you've been permanently banned, and you feel this is in error or unfair, e-mail us at the above address to ask about the ban.

Do not create a new account to argue your case on the forum, this will result in all of your accounts and your IP address being permanently banned.

Likewise, do not create new accounts to evade your ban. This will result in permanent, immediate banning of all your accounts and your IP address.

Once your ban is over, do not repeat the behavior for which you were initially banned, it will just result in another, longer ban (perhaps permanent). If you feel you were banned unfairly, PM Tempest to discuss your case. While public discussions of the forum rules are permissible in the Bugs & Technical Questions forum, public discussions of individual issues are not welcome and will be deleted.

Please understand that the Anime News Network forums are a community. The intent of our rules and the manner in which we enforce them is dictated by our desire to improve the community for as many people as possible.

Christopher Macdonald
Publisher
Anime News Network
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:58 pm Reply with quote
If you've been moderated:

Like bans, moderation is a 1-way discussion, there is no appeal process. Moderation is not a punishment, but rather a way for us to monitor members that we don't quite trust to post properly. Without the option to moderate people, we'd just ban them. For this reason, moderation is never for a fixed amount of time.

Moderation is until you show that you should no longer be on moderation. It may be indefinite. Generally speaking, moderation should be for a minimum of 3 months, and it will be reviewed sometime after that 3 month period has elapsed. The discussion about whether a member should be removed from moderation could take a few hours, or a few weeks, depending on how strong the case is, and the availability of moderators who have interacted with the member.

Most of the time, if a member is moderated for more than 6 months, he should just be banned, however the moderators or admins may make a choice to allow someone to remain if we feel they have a lot to contribute to our forum with their "good posts" and the benefit of allowing them to remain outweighs the hassle of moderating them.

Every moderated member is extra work for our moderators, we would also like you to be removed from moderation as fast as possible. The best way to make sure you get removed from moderation is to continue to post, but try to correct, or at least avoid the type of comments that got you moderated in the first place. Good posts are what get you out of moderation, and remember, quality is worth significantly more than quantity. Moderated users who make a large number of inane posts are extra work for our moderators.

Christopher Macdonald
Publisher
Anime News Network
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Announcements & The Rules All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1