• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Kurenai TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kyokun703

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Can anyone expand on what this show entails? ANN Encyclopedia lists it under "incest, loli" which are huge negatives for me, but the summary sounds ok, so I'm not sure if this was mislabeled or not.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Given the subject matter, this was on my list of favorite series that I never expected to see released in R1.

OK, Sentai, how about Dennou Coil next, in a lovely BD release please.

Yes, this is Aoi Yuuki's breakthrough seiyuu performance, though she had appeared on live-action television, in movies, and on the stage beforehand. Lucky for her she got such a rich (no pun intended) and complex role as Kuhouin Murasaki to voice right out of the chute.

Edit: Having rewatched the first episode from a raw 1080p rip of the JP Blu-ray, I'm a bit sad we won't be getting the same pristine image.

Last edited by yuna49 on Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:58 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
Can anyone expand on what this show entails? ANN Encyclopedia lists it under "incest, loli" which are huge negatives for me, but the summary sounds ok, so I'm not sure if this was mislabeled or not.
It's not mislabeled, exactly, but the reasons I suspect you would be turned away from such shows don't really apply for this one.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:00 pm Reply with quote
OK. It's cool that they are giving everyone a time frame for this one.

I would however, really love to know the time-frame for some of their earlier announcements. Like Croisee in a Foreign Labarynth and No. 6.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Well kiss my grits! I never thought this would get picked up, either! Consider me sold (even if we aren't getting a BD release).

And, yeah, kyokun703, this isn't a squiggy, "I'm gonna sleep with my little sister!" type of show by any means. The incest tag is mostly due to background and as best I can recall is never portrayed in a positive light.

Last edited by Takeyo on Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:25 pm Reply with quote
@kyokun

Yeah, what they have there isn't a good description. Some editing...

16-year-old Kurenai Shinkurou is an orphaned free-lance problem-solver and "mediator," gifted with impressive fighting ability and augmented by a frightening supernatural adaptation. His main employer, Benika Jūzawa, another under-world "mediator" entrusts him to be caregiver and bodygaurd to Kuhouin Murasaki, the young daughter of a powerful plutocratic family, escaped from family captivity and a dark fate that would leave her a prisoner in her home for her entire life. Kurenai must hide Kuhoujin in his run-down one room apartment as she becomes accustomed to life outside of her cloistered and repressive former life.

So, it's part underworld intrigue with powerful fighters and a shadowy family group trying to re-imprison and subjugate a tiny girl in the name of their family tradition (there may be some supernatural reasoning as to the traditon- which is the part that involves incest) and also a lot of slice of life, including a couple romantic interests and wacky neighbor ladies.

And although it has a bit of a loli theme- with a bit of an implied "love" between the two- it's not really creepy and can easily be explained as a distant main character feeling innocent affection for his young charge.

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TopGunman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Okay Sentai Filmworks, dub me!
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
kyokun703 wrote:
It's not mislabeled, exactly, but the reasons I suspect you would be turned away from such shows don't really apply for this one.

Murasaki is seven; her guardian Shinkurou is sixteen. Their relationship is much more sibling-like than anything else. Some of my favorite scenes include the two of them bathing together in a public bath. Murasaki isn't sexualized at all in these scenes despite being nude. (Unfortunately the merchandising for this series, particularly a Murasaki dakimakura, followed a more squicky path.)

Unfortunately it's not so easy to dispense with your concern about incest. It's an important aspect of the plot, but there are no depictions of incestuous longings or behavior. Beyond that, I'd have to tread into spoiler territory.

Last edited by yuna49 on Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
kyokun703

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for all the answers and help! This sounds much better now.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Wow, color me surprised. This is a series that I long expected would never get licensed. A subtitled-only release would definitely be appropriate for it because I don't see it having a very broad appeal.

I saw the TV episodes when it first came out but don't think I ever saw (or even knew about) the OVA. The series as a whole was never a favorite but I did think it was a good series.

i have no words myself... it's just joy.. this gem of an anime deserves to be spread around but yeah ahem.. now excuse me while i go go dance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:36 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
Thanks for all the answers and help! This sounds much better now.

being a huge fan of series it focuses on more old Japanese traditions that still exist with branch/head families. Think of the hyuga clan from naruto where hinata would have to marry neji in order keep the blood line. It focuses on aspects that still linger around greatly and is also by far on of the best looking series from 08
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
loka

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Good choice! Sentai is on a roll with ef and Kurenai taken within a year. Here's hoping they get Denno Coil soon.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:52 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:

Yes, this is Aoi Yuuki's breakthrough seiyuu performance, though she had appeared on live-action television, in movies, and on the stage beforehand. Lucky for her she got such a rich (no pun intended) and complex role as Kuhouin Murasaki to voice right out of the chute.

She had some anime roles before Murasaki too, credited under her real family name Yabusaki, though they were mostly children's anime. This Youtube collection of clips is interesting for a chronological look at her roles (up to early 2010).
Ian K

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Kurenai will be a hard show to market, because it doesn't neatly fit into any particular genre. It has brutal fight scenes, but they aren't common enough to call it an 'action' show. There are touching character moments, but it isn't really a lice of life show, or a moe show, or a romance. It isn't a comedy, but it can be incredibly funny. It isn't a musical, but it includes the best song-and-dance number ever animated Smile .

Then again, other shows have mixed genres, and done really well in the West (*cough* Cowboy Bebop *cough*), so there's a chance Kurenai will find an appreciative audience. I hope so, it's quirky and fun and does its own thing, and I think it could resonate with a lot of Western anime fans.

I cannot emphasize enough that Murasaki is not sexualized in this show - her portrayal is far closer to Rin from Bunny Drop (pre-time skip) than, say, any of the moeblobs from Listen to Me Girls.
spoiler[
As for the the issue of incest in the plot descriptor, it refers to Murasaki's evil family, and it is the whole reason she is staying with Shinkurou in the first place.]
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow, very cool. Now this is a show I can get behind. Would absolutely love to own Denpa Teki na Kanojo as well. But thanks a bunch Sentai. Glad to see that there's still a shot from stuff over a couple of years old getting licensed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7