• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Kurenai TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Echo_City

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:31 am Reply with quote
Care to elaborate on how Sentai "edits moe"?
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:33 am Reply with quote
The show was good, but can the set not have the last episode? It shits the bed so hard it breaks it in two.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:41 am Reply with quote
Really looking forward to buying this. I finally get to cross it off of my list of shows in need of a release (now license Library Wars already!). Can't say I'm too surprised that there won't be a dub at this point and it would be pretty hard to do the amazing musical episode justice in English. Kinda surprised the OAVs aren't included even if they do include some characters that only appear in the manga. Just means someone needs to get around to licensing the manga already, it's still running in Japan.

The manga is basically a sequel to the anime and it rewrites the final part of the anime in a flashback so if you were disappointed by how the anime ended give it a shot.

Great series, can't wait to own it.

The Coffee God wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:

I would however, really love to know the time-frame for some of their earlier announcements. Like Croisee in a Foreign Labarynth and No. 6.

The last JP BD/DVD volume for No. 6. was just released 2 days ago.
The last JP BD/DVD volume for Croisee in a Foreign Labarynth isn't until 3/21.

So you'll have to wait awhile on those.
My guess, if neither get dubbed, it'll probably be late this year.

For me the ideal way of releasing Croisee would be with a French dub. I wonder if Sentai has connections with any French studios in Canada?
No.6 I think has a pretty good shot at a dub since there's a lot of cross appeal for both male and female buyers.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DFBTG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:56 am Reply with quote
Yes! Yes! YES! I've been wanting this to happen for so long. An awesome anime that deserves my money.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:34 am Reply with quote
The Coffee God wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:

I would however, really love to know the time-frame for some of their earlier announcements. Like Croisee in a Foreign Labarynth and No. 6.

The last JP BD/DVD volume for No. 6. was just released 2 days ago.
The last JP BD/DVD volume for Croisee in a Foreign Labarynth isn't until 3/21.

So you'll have to wait awhile on those.
My guess, if neither get dubbed, it'll probably be late this year.

Thanks for the info!
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:40 am Reply with quote
Ian K wrote:
dtm42:
It's one thing to dislike something, but to hate it so much that you would deny fellow fans who DO enjoy it the chance to own it seems a bit extreme. Care to elaborate WHY you harbor such vitriol towards it?

Is it extreme? Everyone is ultimately selfish in these things. You wouldn't think twice of wanting a show you like to come to your country, even if most people don't want it and would rather see another title licensed (speaking generally here). So it's only fair that I should be allowed to hope that a show I really don't like and ended up dropping will fail to come to my country. If it does come to New Zealand I'd be obligated to buy it, and I don't want to buy it. It's a perfectly normal and understandable reaction on my part. So yeah. I don't see why I should be happy about possibly having to buy it when I'm so strongly against it.

Why do I dislike the show in the first place? Too many reasons to list here.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:09 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Care to elaborate on how Sentai "edits moe"?
I'm guessing he meant "dares to translate 'moe'."

shukero wrote:
I think so too, but I hope they don't use those UGLY yellow over black subtitles that seem to be the standards :\

But aren't these the same? They always use either yellow on black or white on black in the most pixelated text ever made. It's like they are upscaling the subs to 20x their regular size. I find it hard to believe that these DVD's can't have the same quality as subs do on streaming for crunchy roll

well it's better than nothing at this time yes i remember old adv tactics hell they where vhs fansubbers before becoming legit subbing/dubbing licensing company. I just wanted to point out that not everyone uses that method, I though that stopped this time around lol.. My mistake.

Why is a color bad or "ugly" just because it happened to be used in the days of commercial and fansubbed VHS? Funny how it's only considered bad when company subs use it, not when fansubbers use it. And most of the reasons for using yellow text + black outlines back then still apply today. It's a color that doesn't occur much in media, so it doesn't blend in with backgrounds and is able to be read quickly in virtually every situation. I suppose you'd rather have subtitle text in the same color as predominant backgrounds with a half-pixel semi-transparent border in the same color as the main character's hair, which makes them completely unreadable half the time?

As for the pixelation and "why can't DVD subs have the same quality as CrunchyRoll?"... maybe because DVDs are 1997 technology, and subtitled streaming videos are a much more recent development? "They" aren't upscaling the subs, it's people's playback devices and TVs that are doing the upscaling -- unfortunately, the resolution of DVD picture subs was designed for late-90s displays. If you watch on an old CRT, particularly with component video inputs, the subs will look fine.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:48 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
The show was good, but can the set not have the last episode? It shits the bed so hard it breaks it in two.

I found the ending fantastic personally. Pretty much the only way I can think someone could hate it is if spoiler[they're so deluded that they thought that Murasaki could have actually changed the Kuhouin family. I personally saw it as a brilliant juxtaposition of Murasaki's (and Shinkuro's) naivety and the harshness of reality, while masking it as a happy ending.] I loved it.

Personally, I like that the author (he also did Denpa Teki) doesn't always follow the norm. The ending to Kurenai is definitely far from the norm as far as anime goes.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:21 am Reply with quote
I had forgotten that Sentai also licensed Akikan from Brains-Base a few months ago. Given how unlikely a license for Kurenai has always seemed, maybe there was some type of "two-fer" involved. I don't know how well Akikan has sold, though Amazon claims to have only five units currently available. When Akikan was originally released in Japan, it seemed so unlike B-B's other work that I figured they made it for a quick influx of cash. Since it only sold a few hundred copies, I doubt it did much to improve B-B's bottom line. Kurenai sold a bit better than that, but at just under 2,000 copies it wasn't a big earner either. Luckily for them Natsume Yuujinchou has been a consistent seller in its multiple seasons.

I've often wondered if Funimation's decision to license Oh! Edo Rocket was part of some bigger deal to get another property it wanted even more.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:34 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Ian K wrote:
dtm42:
It's one thing to dislike something, but to hate it so much that you would deny fellow fans who DO enjoy it the chance to own it seems a bit extreme. Care to elaborate WHY you harbor such vitriol towards it?

Is it extreme? Everyone is ultimately selfish in these things. You wouldn't think twice of wanting a show you like to come to your country, even if most people don't want it and would rather see another title licensed (speaking generally here). So it's only fair that I should be allowed to hope that a show I really don't like and ended up dropping will fail to come to my country. If it does come to New Zealand I'd be obligated to buy it, and I don't want to buy it. It's a perfectly normal and understandable reaction on my part. So yeah. I don't see why I should be happy about possibly having to buy it when I'm so strongly against it.

Why do I dislike the show in the first place? Too many reasons to list here.

Since when are you obligated to buy a show you don't like?? I don't see any reason or logic behind that. If you feel bad for watching the fan-subs for the series that's still no reason to spend money on a series you didn't like. I personally love the series as stated before if you don't like it that's fine everyone has a different opinion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LuScr

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:25 pm Reply with quote
The show's good news, and the fact that a series this old was licensed is even better. It gives new hope that some older favorites might eventually make it over here, as well.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:33 pm Reply with quote
After reading these posts, I think I may check it out. It sounds interesting.

Seeing it tagged as "loli" and "incest" was a turn-off, but I'm glad to know that it more or less misrepresents what the story is about.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Since when are you obligated to buy a show you don't like?? I don't see any reason or logic behind that. If you feel bad for watching the fan-subs for the series that's still no reason to spend money on a series you didn't like. I personally love the series as stated before if you don't like it that's fine everyone has a different opinion.

Hmm, I thought everyone knew by now.

I have a rule that if I have watched more than three episodes of a series by using fansubs I have to buy it if and when it arrives in brick & mortar stores here in New Zealand. This means that if using fansubs I can watch three episodes of anything without obligation, but as soon as I've watched the fourth then I'm committed to buying the whole series. It is my way of morally justifying my use of fansubs.

I dropped Kure-nai after nine episodes, so that means if it comes here I'm going to have to buy it, no ifs, buts or maybes. If however it only gets released in North America then I don't have to buy it. Four reasons; I'm trying to support Australasian licensors, I'm trying to support the Anime fandom in New Zealand, and I generally refuse to pay for international shipping when instead I could get local shipping or just go to a physical store like JB Hi-Fi. The final reason is that I want to buy DVDs in my local region (region #4) so that I can lend them to friends without complications. I have a region-free DVD player, some of them do not.

So yeah, back to Kure-nai. I don't want it to come here. My reasoning may sound weird to you - not many people put themselves under such an obligation - but it is what I believe in and is what drives my preferences. Me not wanting it here will not affect its licensing chances one bit, so there's no way I'm denying fans of the title who want it in New Zealand. I repeat, whether it comes here or not, I'm not going to make one whit of difference.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:07 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

Hmm, I thought everyone knew by now.

I have a rule that if I have watched more than three episodes of a series by using fansubs I have to buy it if and when it arrives in brick & mortar stores here in New Zealand. This means that if using fansubs I can watch three episodes of anything without obligation, but as soon as I've watched the fourth then I'm committed to buying the whole series. It is my way of morally justifying my use of fansubs.

I dropped Kure-nai after nine episodes, so that means if it comes here I'm going to have to buy it, no ifs, buts or maybes. If however it only gets released in North America then I don't have to buy it. Four reasons; I'm trying to support Australasian licensors, I'm trying to support the Anime fandom in New Zealand, and I generally refuse to pay for international shipping when instead I could get local shipping or just go to a physical store like JB Hi-Fi. The final reason is that I want to buy DVDs in my local region (region #4) so that I can lend them to friends without complications. I have a region-free DVD player, some of them do not.

So yeah, back to Kure-nai. I don't want it to come here. My reasoning may sound weird to you - not many people put themselves under such an obligation - but it is what I believe in and is what drives my preferences. Me not wanting it here will not affect its licensing chances one bit, so there's no way I'm denying fans of the title who want it in New Zealand. I repeat, whether it comes here or not, I'm not going to make one whit of difference.

Okay then that's your reason and I respect it. I could see why you dropped it around that time but well everyone has there taste preferences on a series. I am some what of the same way on a series I have watched before with fan-subs however I will only buy what I liked or if I can get it cheap enough. I will just leave this subject alone, but for me this is decent piece of news and shows hope. All that's left to pick up imo is dennou coil and this gives me chance of hope.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ian K

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:46 pm Reply with quote
dtm42:
After you posted your response I did recall reading about you particular situation and practices before. Sorry for making you repeat yourself. In that light I find your position entirely reasonable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7