• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Kurenai TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raoh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Sentai Filmworks, why aren't you taking my money yet?

I had given up on this one getting the liscensing treatment, but I am glad to see someone finally picked it up. Dub or not, i'll buy it (i'm not a huge dub fan, anyways).
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

As for the pixelation and "why can't DVD subs have the same quality as CrunchyRoll?"... maybe because DVDs are 1997 technology, and subtitled streaming videos are a much more recent development? "They" aren't upscaling the subs, it's people's playback devices and TVs that are doing the upscaling -- unfortunately, the resolution of DVD picture subs was designed for late-90s displays. If you watch on an old CRT, particularly with component video inputs, the subs will look fine.

I think you may have meant composite video input. Component [YPbPr] video input (not available on many 4:3 CRT TVs) would provide the sharpest possible picture.

dtm42 wrote:

I have a rule that if I have watched more than three episodes of a series by using fansubs I have to buy it if and when it arrives in brick & mortar stores here in New Zealand. This means that if using fansubs I can watch three episodes of anything without obligation, but as soon as I've watched the fourth then I'm committed to buying the whole series. It is my way of morally justifying my use of fansubs.

In such a case, I would probably immediately turn around and resell at a small loss, rather than be out the entire amount for a series I didn't like and probably would never open.

Fortunately, I have a different method of dealing with shows I had seen as fansubs; I simply watch the legal stream when it becomes available (which often is before any physical release). I also stopped watching fansubs in July 2010, to avoid incurring any more "debt" (and also because there was so much legally available streaming anime at that point).

To be fair, however, I don't watch streams to audition anime for purchase; it is my primary means of anime consumption.

In closing, let me say I applaud your convictions. Too many people would rationalize, "Well, I didn't like the series, so I wouldn't have purchased it".
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:09 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

I consider their high prices for subbed only half sets and reluctance to do full sets to be old fashioned and almost as bad if not worse then singles. the concept of dubbing some stuff and only doing subs on others is also really old fashioned. their editing of everything possible (for example moe) is also old fashioned in my opinion, also their approach of licensing cheap titles (particularly OVAS) like mad is old fashioned.

[EDIT: Trim quotes to the relevant portions, please, especially if they contain images. ~Zalis]

Wouldn't dubbing everthing be old fashioned as that's what use to be the norm? Would you rather them go back to the older practices of dubbing everything or almost everything and skipping over niche shows that couldn't support one?

I haven't paid more than $40 for a Sentai set, even on Bluray in well, forever, so I fail to see how they are over priced. It wasn't too many years ago that even with my employee discount at the time, I was still paying $15+ for a single disc with two four episodes.

Not to mention they did try complete season releases and people didn't but it in enough numbers to support the method. You can hardly fault them for not continuing a release method that causes them to loose money and is likely part of the reason we never got season two.

I guess by your thinking it would be better if they just licensed a few shows, dubbed them, released them in ridiculously cheap season sets, then went out of business when they couldn't make money. Obviously that way is very forward thinking. Where did you get your business degree from?
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:20 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
I think you may have meant composite video input. Component [YPbPr] video input (not available on many 4:3 CRT TVs) would provide the sharpest possible picture.
My TV is a 4:3 CRT, and it does have component inputs (as well as S-Video). I bought it in 2003, so it is fairly "late-model" to the point where its screen is flat rather than curved. Though you're right, even older sets from the 90s or before aren't going to have those inputs.

Quote:
Kurenai sold a bit better than that, but at just under 2,000 copies it wasn't a big earner either.
Given Kurenai's low sales figures, I have to wonder why BB went through the expense of upscaling it for Blu-Ray. According to Clarine Harp of Funimation (Naka-Kon 2011 panel), Blu-Ray authoring is even more expensive in Japan than it is here, just like everything else.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:30 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
The show was good, but can the set not have the last episode? It shits the bed so hard it breaks it in two.

I found the ending fantastic personally. Pretty much the only way I can think someone could hate it is if spoiler[they're so deluded that they thought that Murasaki could have actually changed the Kuhouin family. I personally saw it as a brilliant juxtaposition of Murasaki's (and Shinkuro's) naivety and the harshness of reality, while masking it as a happy ending.] I loved it.

Personally, I like that the author (he also did Denpa Teki) doesn't always follow the norm. The ending to Kurenai is definitely far from the norm as far as anime goes.

I hate it as far as I also hate the ending to Gurren Lagann;
spoiler[Oh boy! We've gotten so far to get to this point and it's taken blood, sweat, tears and actual human life to get to this point, we just need to do one final thing (save the girl) to call it a day and we're good to go. Oh, but wait, we're not going to do that and break show theme to teach a *Lesson* to the "kiddies" at home about the world and how it sucks arse through a straw. Thanks for nothing, viewers!]

Or, to quote Bonus Stage "I just wasted 6 hours of America's time"

Like I said, Bed, Shit, Twain.

Zalis116 wrote:
Quote:
Kurenai sold a bit better than that, but at just under 2,000 copies it wasn't a big earner either.
Given Kurenai's low sales figures, I have to wonder why BB went through the expense of upscaling it for Blu-Ray. According to Clarine Harp of Funimation (Naka-Kon 2011 panel), Blu-Ray authoring is even more expensive in Japan than it is here, just like everything else.

I'm pretty sure that's because Japan thinks it's super expensive rather than anything to do with the actaul cost of the exercise.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:32 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
In such a case, I would probably immediately turn around and resell at a small loss, rather than be out the entire amount for a series I didn't like and probably would never open.

I often give them to friends. Selling DVDs online is a hassle, I'd rather just give them away. Luckily I haven't had to do this too often, but I suspect that's only because I've only been watching fansubs in a big way since about late 2009. Give or take. Licensors have only just started to acquire and release shows from that time period onwards and are even still licensing titles that aired four years ago; Kure-nai is a perfect example.

So up to now there haven't been too many titles I didn't like that I've had to buy; watching Gundam 00 Season 2 is probably the most expensive mistake I've made in a while. However, I bet next year will be different. There probably will be tons of titles licensed that originally aired post-2009 and I'll have to fork over a small fortune as well as parting with one of my kidneys. In that case I'll likely start using Trademe and Ebay to recoup some costs for those titles I didn't want to have to buy.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:43 am Reply with quote
Quote:
In closing, let me say I applaud your convictions. Too many people would rationalize, "Well, I didn't like the series, so I wouldn't have purchased it".

Not buying something you don't like seems reasonable to me.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:29 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Not buying something you don't like seems reasonable to me.

And paying for things you use and supporting the industry through buying physical releases seems reasonable to me.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:36 am Reply with quote
Our two claims are not mutually exclusive.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:58 am Reply with quote
I am well aware of that.

I do not begrudge those people who support the industry by only buying titles they like. It is how consumer power works. But do not begrudge me for going so far as to buy titles that I dislike as well as those I am a fan of.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:07 am Reply with quote
My comment was a direct reply to The Ancient One's comment about reasoning for not buying a show they didn't like. I have not shared my opinion on your rules.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:22 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

I consider their high prices for subbed only half sets and reluctance to do full sets to be old fashioned and almost as bad if not worse then singles. the concept of dubbing some stuff and only doing subs on others is also really old fashioned. their editing of everything possible (for example moe) is also old fashioned in my opinion, also their approach of licensing cheap titles (particularly OVAS) like mad is old fashioned.

[EDIT: Trim quotes to the relevant portions, please, especially if they contain images. ~Zalis]

Wouldn't dubbing everthing be old fashioned as that's what use to be the norm? Would you rather them go back to the older practices of dubbing everything or almost everything and skipping over niche shows that couldn't support one?

I haven't paid more than $40 for a Sentai set, even on Bluray in well, forever, so I fail to see how they are over priced. It wasn't too many years ago that even with my employee discount at the time, I was still paying $15+ for a single disc with two four episodes.

Not to mention they did try complete season releases and people didn't but it in enough numbers to support the method. You can hardly fault them for not continuing a release method that causes them to loose money and is likely part of the reason we never got season two.

I guess by your thinking it would be better if they just licensed a few shows, dubbed them, released them in ridiculously cheap season sets, then went out of business when they couldn't make money. Obviously that way is very forward thinking. Where did you get your business degree from?

I am not saying old fashioned is horrible FYI just that they act like it is still the 2000s to a certain extent.
Retailing a bluray for $90 http://www.amazon.com/Clannad-Complete-Collection-Blu-ray/dp/B005HWAOOI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1330214400&sr=8-2 is pretty expensive if you ask me. sure you get a discount at the store but that is pretty 2002 if you ask me Looks at cowboy bebop $300 box set, also there two ova collections are very reminiscent of when companies would get all sorts of ovas when the industry started. their use of yellow subs I find gaudy personally, and there translating of general knoweldge anime terms such as moe and (I wouldn't put it past them) tsundare to be somewhat belittling of it is customers.
I much prefer funimation where at the worse I pay $70 for a chipbox case, the bluray and dvd of 13 episodes for the first release. and I can generally sell off the DVD for a lot of money actually.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:46 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:

that is a highly popular limited edition trilogy on bluray, which is includes bonus features and is in line with the industry standerd S23 is not
it also adds another 30 minutes to each movie, and adds a bunch of extra features.

Last edited by Tanteikingdomkey on Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Last I checked Clannad: Complete Collection was too a highly popular collection on BluRay and if 13 episode sets can be listed at 50 bucks a complete collection of 24 episodes for 90 bucks looks in line with industry standards.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7