• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Is there any real yuri anime out there.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsyxx

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious. And no, I'm not talking about hentai, or goofy, hentaiesque echi shows. Like where its part of the main plot or an element of the main characters. I already know about Utena though, but are there any other good examples?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Are you talking about yuri or shoujo-ai? Yuri IS lesbian hentai.

Utena is NOT yuri. Yuri/yaoi emphasizes on sex, while shoujo/shounen-ai may contain sexual relationships, but the emphasis is on romance.

If it's shoujo-ai you are after, Maria-sama ga Miteru is an excellent example.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Well, besides Utena, three anime in particular come to the front of my mind when talking about lesbian references/relationships.

#1 - Steel Angel Kurumi - it's a bit more light hearted, but's it's very much in there. Particularly the second season.

#2 - Devil Lady - the only romance in the series is woman to woman.

#3 - Miyuki-chan in Wonderland - Alice in Wonderland retold with hot lesbians by CLAMP. Why shouldn't you watch it?
jsyxx

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Yea, I'm talking about shoujo-ai. I knew the difference, but I guess I forgot because people are actually pretty loose with these slang terms in real life. I definantly didn't mean hentai.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:10 pm Reply with quote
New series:

Kannaduki no Miko

And there's big mecha action as well (in which in my opinion seems out of place along with that agnstly bishounen mecha pilot Confused ).
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:
Well, besides Utena, three anime in particular come to the front of my mind when talking about lesbian references/relationships.

#2 - Devil Lady - the only romance in the series is woman to woman.

Devil Lady in a lesbian scnario? Shocked I haven't noticed sinc i have only watched the first 2 volumes of this somewhat disapointing series.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:36 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
And there's big mecha action as well (in which in my opinion seems out of place along with that agnstly bishounen mecha pilot Confused ).

Yes, the series would work a lot better if it were just "mystical miko duo & demons" as opposed to "mystical miko damsels in distress 'helping out' an angsty bishie against 'demons' in crappy-looking mechs." Really, all that's keeping me watching at the moment are Chikane & Himeko.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Golgo13

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Try Read or Die the TV series. It's nothing but girls loving girls.
kainzero

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:11 pm Reply with quote
aside from kannaduki no miko, there's also Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito... or Yamibou for short.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Well, Soultaker if you watch the series you notice that basically everything is either a veiled lesbian referance or full on woman to woman loving.

Particularly watch the interaction between Asuka and Jun. It's kind of hard not to notice that there's a dominant/submissive lesbian relationship there.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:55 am Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
I'm curious. And no, I'm not talking about hentai, or goofy, hentaiesque echi shows.

*throws out recomendation for Puni Puni Poemy*
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:32 am Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:
Well, Soultaker if you watch the series you notice that basically everything is either a veiled lesbian referance or full on woman to woman loving.

Particularly watch the interaction between Asuka and Jun. It's kind of hard not to notice that there's a dominant/submissive lesbian relationship there.
That part i somewhat picked up,albiet it was an underlying reference,I guess they didn't make it too obvious. but nonetheless Devil Lady as a series was a bit of a letdown ("Monster of the Week" scenarios) ergo i did not bother to complete this collection of said DVDs/Series. Confused
Animefan16

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:
#1 - Steel Angel Kurumi - it's a bit more light hearted, but's it's very much in there. Particularly the second season.

I saw the second season. Unlike the first season, the second season was a harem anime except that the one all the girls are fighting over is also a girl.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:43 pm Reply with quote
The "monster of the week" stuff dies off around episode 8 and the story really gets moivng around episode 10.

I will admit this, though. If I had paid for each of the DVD's individually at full price, I would have been just as let down by you at the first two. However, the Complete Collection release at $38.99 at Best Buy made it one of the better anime purchases I've made in a while. It's honestly a very enjoyable series.
firegirl22

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Golgo13 wrote:
Try Read or Die the TV series. It's nothing but girls loving girls.

Really? I never knew that, is that just your opinion or actual fact? I've watched the ova set and the first 8 eps, yet I never really saw this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2