• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Beckett Collectibles Now Grades Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:28 am Reply with quote
This will become the newest version of the VHS speculation market.
https://youtu.be/Lbdij5Vi8oY?si=115T9cSLw9v_Xtdz
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:31 am Reply with quote
feitan000 wrote:
No thanks, the manga are cheap af

Especially the ¥100 used manga sold at BOOKOFF.
Rob J.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Rob J. wrote:
Quote:
So, yeah, there's definitely a market out there for OOP manga.

What you are talking about is a different kind of collecting. You want to read the missing volumes. You would probably settle for a reading copy (slightly damaged or heavily worn but intact and readable) if you could get it for a reasonable amount.

Beckett is working with situations where there are copies readily available and the collector wants a perfect or near perfect copy. Beckett certifies just how near perfect the copy is and seals it into a plastic slab. It is no longer useful as manga since you can't read it. It becomes a "collectible". All you can do it look at the cover, and you need to store the slabbed copy in the dark so the cover does not fade. If you want to read it you would need another copy. For this they will charge you $30 U.S. Will this raise the resale value by $30 or more? Good question, especially if the price is already rising due to scarcity.

While I certainly want to have print copies of these currently OOP manga at cover price, the high cost of the OOP manga such as the three volumes of Triage X that I name are among those that are going to be the most likely to be graded *because* they're high-priced and OOP. In the American comics market, even regular editions of high-demand modern comics can catch *multiples* of their non-graded prices if they're graded 9.6 or better. First printings of the later issues of the 2016 series of Thanos are particularly crazy, with the first printing of the open-order #13, the first appearance of the Cosmic Ghost Rider, going for $37 in Near-Mint but a whopping $1,025 in the graded condition of CGC 9.9, according to ComicBase, the software that I use.
In short, there's definitely demand for high-grade first printings of manga. That demand isn't going to be found in most comics stores, which is why there need to be brick-and-mortar manga stores. There are likely comics stores that can be persuaded to carry more manga and even back issue manga, but IMO manga stores are necessary to get the institutional memory of handling manga going because the learning curve is quite steep if you don't have the time like I do to jump into the deep end.
PS: I think that the learning curve is why most retailers are hostile to manga, given that manga-esque styles are fairly popular in US comics.

revolutionotaku wrote:
feitan000 wrote:
No thanks, the manga are cheap af

Especially the ¥100 used manga sold at BOOKOFF.

I googled it. Bookoff is a non-starter here in the US for those of us who don't read Japanese because it specializes in importing Japanese language manga market. Not a criticism -- if the market for untranslated manga is large enough in the US to support it, good for them, I have a friend who's a Japanophile who's slowly learning Japanese, so it may be up her aisle and I might recommend it to her -- but it's not a store I can use .
(PS: The website doesn't have the untranslated Triage X.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2