• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2024 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lhernan02

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:40 pm Reply with quote
No interest in the rest (I think NeedMoreCats more or less covered them for me), but I am quite happy Spice & Wolf comes close to the original (need a few more shows to see if it ties it or beats it or falls behind, so far, if my memory serves me right, it is more faithful to the LNs). The one part where it did fall short is in the OP/ED, but that is a fool's errand since Tabi no Tochu and Ringo Biyori perfectly encapsulate the show's melancholy and fun sides (the new OP aims for melancholy but feels more like a soft ballad while the ED aims for fun, but just doesn't reach Ringo Biyori's pep).
gumbaloom

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:56 pm Reply with quote
So is Demon Slayer going to get a free pass in to weekly reviews with its premiere so late?
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:27 pm Reply with quote
lhernan02 wrote:
No interest in the rest (I think NeedMoreCats more or less covered them for me), but I am quite happy Spice & Wolf comes close to the original (need a few more shows to see if it ties it or beats it or falls behind, so far, if my memory serves me right, it is more faithful to the LNs).

Only in the sense that the new version doesn't include Chloe. The original otherwise stuck very close to the novel, with Chloe just taking over Yarei's scenes. (Which is the reason why a lot of us wondered why they bothered to re-animate this part.) Besides, this version deviates by including an opening scene that wasn't in the novels, showing tantalizing glimpses of a character who doesn't even appear in the franchise until novel 18.

Quote:
The one part where it did fall short is in the OP/ED, but that is a fool's errand since Tabi no Tochu and Ringo Biyori perfectly encapsulate the show's melancholy and fun sides (the new OP aims for melancholy but feels more like a soft ballad while the ED aims for fun, but just doesn't reach Ringo Biyori's pep).

100% agree with this.

gumbaloom wrote:
So is Demon Slayer going to get a free pass in to weekly reviews with its premiere so late?

Do you think there's any conceivable chance it won't get voted in? Besides, its first episode did debut widely in theaters, so a fair number of people have already had a chance to see it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RGaspar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Spice & Wolf is back, let's go!!

I have watched the original anime in 2010 and while I have never rewatched it, it was always in my mind. I've listened to the OP and ED songs every few months for, well, almost 15 years now. And Holo is still one of my favorite anime characters ever. I don't remember much about the actual stories, so this should be pretty good for a refresher.

Key wrote:
...showing tantalizing glimpses of a character who doesn't even appear in the franchise until novel 18.

Do you think this means they are going to animate way further than last time?
Daerian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Spice and Wolf is back after so many years! I have since imported all English translations of light novels, because these are not released in my country in my 1st language unfortunately.

The series looks... ok? I was little afraid about visual style change, but they struck nice balance between more "moe" designs of LN illustrator and the first anime designs, so this problem is sorted out thankfully.Outside of it, it's still Spice and Wolf I know and love and I'm happy to retread the story - both to see these characters again and in hopes for new material.

Ami Koshimuzu and Jun Fukuyama are great, as always.

The framing device leaves me hopeful and afraid at the same time - hopeful because this seems to suggest they indeed want to continue beyond two cours (and 5-6 LNs we got animated in first series) and afraid because of New Testament (second series of LNs, after 17th tome) spoiler[non-blood related brother-sister "sheanigans"] I have read as blurb on the LNs backs.

Edit: I forgot to add, I love small detail of how Horo's ears are floppy (is this right word? sorry if not, not sure how to write it in English) when she is melancholic and then perk up after it's decided she will travel with Lawrence to the north.

Last edited by Daerian on Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
Daerian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:59 pm Reply with quote
RGaspar wrote:
Do you think this means they are going to animate way further than last time?

Hopefully, I have heard that they are ready to go for entire LNs run, but not official confirmation I can find.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Angel Apartment: Seems fine for the type of show it is. I figured based on the title the guy would buy an apartment and find an angel already living there, but I guess they're going in a different direction. Also, despite the initial appearance of him coming home late from work, it seems like he's still in high school (which explains the part time job and parental support).
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Daerian wrote:
The framing device leaves me hopeful and afraid at the same time - hopeful because this seems to suggest they indeed want to continue beyond two cours (and 5-6 LNs we got animated in first series) and afraid because of New Testament (second series of LNs, after 17th tome) spoiler[non-blood related brother-sister "sheanigans"] I have read as blurb on the LNs backs.

In English, the novels after 17 are subtitled "Spring Log." You may be thinking of the Raildex universe.

As for the spoiler-tagged bit, spoiler[Myuri commonly calls Col "brother," but Lawrence and Holo never formally adopted him, so they don't even have a step-sibling relationship. And Col has firmly resisted anything happening (he wants to be a priest, after all), so absolutely nothing seedy is actually going on.]

Quote:
Edit: I forgot to add, I love small detail of how Horo's ears are floppy (is this right word? sorry if not, not sure how to write it in English) when she is melancholic and then perk up after it's decided she will travel with Lawrence to the north.

"Floppy" is the correct word. Holo also showed her emotions as much through her ears and tail as her expression in the first series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Daerian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

In English, the novels after 17 are subtitled "Spring Log." You may be thinking of the Raildex universe.

I misremembered the name, I thought about Wolf and Parchment: A New Theory, spin-off/continuation about spoiler[Cole and Myuri]. I just learned from you about Spring Log, is this good and what is it about?

Key wrote:
As for the spoiler-tagged bit, spoiler[Myuri commonly calls Col "brother," but Lawrence and Holo never formally adopted him, so they don't even have a step-sibling relationship. And Col has firmly resisted anything happening (he wants to be a priest, after all), so absolutely nothing seedy is actually going on.]

Thank you, good to know. Are you talking about Spring Log or Wolf and Parchment, or both?
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Daerian wrote:
Thank you, good to know. Are you talking about Spring Log or Wolf and Parchment, or both?

Both. Spring Log is a series of stories set after the main story. While a few feature spoiler[Myuri and Col], most focus on Lawrence and Holo, and the bulk of those run concurrently with Wolf and Parchment. If you liked the main series then they're worth getting.
Daerian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Daerian wrote:

Both. Spring Log is a series of stories set after the main story. While a few feature spoiler[Myuri and Col], most focus on Lawrence and Holo, and the bulk of those run concurrently with Wolf and Parchment. If you liked the main series then they're worth getting.

Thank you a lot. I have complete old series and was a little afraid to get Wolf and Parchment because of story blurb. I will now buy it and Spring Log.
pi8you

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:50 am Reply with quote
Tsukimichi continuing, that's a fun new OP/ED, and a bevy of new faces to track.

Train to the End of the World was already one I was looking forward to, but those first two minutes just left me cackling as I locked it in. Maybe one of the best apocalyptic events I've seen, certainly among the funniest. Cannot wait to see where the train ride goes.

Spice and Wolf: merchant meets the wise wolf really baiting us LN readers with that framing device :O I've decided I don't really care that it's starting over, it looks plenty good, Penkin's score is fantastic, and I'll take any excuse to have Lawrence and Holo bantering in my ears again. Welcome aboard, to those that missed the first go.

7th Prince is probably not going to be great by any means, but I loved how lively the animation was. An easy lock if it weren't for the have your cake-ness where he is too pure for all the bosoms the show insists we look at, we'll see how hard they continue to push it.

Studio Apartment, Good Lighting, Angel Included was an absolute snoozer and the MC's head is weirdly shaped.

Gods' Games We Play's use of Memory as an introductions game was neat, I'll give it that, but the rest of it was an absolute slog, easy pass.

Re:Monster Re:Gret. That was a potentially interesting idea just completely squandered for the same generic isekai speedrun in a green skin. (editors: unless that was intentional, someone might want to take another look at James' last paragraph...)

The Banished Former Hero Lives as He Pleases is no Countryside, that's for sure, I didn't even bother with the second episode.

Two great starts, a maybe, and four shows I'm ready to obliterate from my memory, which is pretty much exactly as expected with this batch.
MiniMarps

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:57 am Reply with quote
I am intrigued by Train to the End of the World. I get the School-Live comparisons, but more than that I saw an awful lot of similarities to Shimeji Simulation. Which is a complement (that's one of my favorite manga ever, after all), but at the same time I'm dreading the possibility of it ending up too similar to it.

Setting that perhaps unfounded concern aside, though, I really did enjoy this first episode. Promising premise, wonderful soundtrack, wonderful voice acting, and a smooth enough blend of humor and drama for a first episode. The art and animation was mostly good, but the CGI was a little bit ugly in a few scenes -- namely, scenes involving the titular train. Here's hoping that's not going to be a persistent issue throughout the show.
shenlongmizuno

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:48 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Studio Apartment, Good Lighting, Angel Included - Kind of surprised none of the reviewers (so far) compared it to Ah, My Goddess!, because the premise sure sounds like a do-over of that franchise. Is AMG just too old for anyone to remember at this point? Theron, if you're out there, back me up here?

Naa, sounds like AMG but I don't have time to watch and confirm.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:50 am Reply with quote
Remonster has a great idea, just give it time .. to the idea,.not to remonster, the " powerful guy gets isekaied and his actual powers are what matters, is done better in other series , if you add the edgy angle it's fun because I just finished reading." The wolf never sleeps" manga which does it pretty well.

And I said to give them to the idea and not to monster.becaue remonster is bad, it will get quite worse unless the studio decides/can elevate the material, which I doubt. It's only noteworthy because it's one of the " first naru isekai", really.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 31