• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Harder and Harder to find Manga

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Truered

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Well after seeing this thread decided to quickly check on two ongoing series. The very next volume of Skip beat I need isn't in stock on any sites I use, and a couple of volumes from where I am currently, Hayate is sold out.

After the crap I also had to go through with Excel saga I think I'm done with starting any new series from Viz.

edit: oh and of course the 12 volumes of Kurohime sitting on my bookshelf, though of course that is for a different reason.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Truered wrote:
Well after seeing this thread decided to quickly check on two ongoing series. The very next volume of Skip beat I need isn't in stock on any sites I use, and a couple of volumes from where I am currently, Hayate is sold out.

After the crap I also had to go through with Excel saga I think I'm done with starting any new series from Viz.

edit: oh and of course the 12 volumes of Kurohime sitting on my bookshelf, though of course that is for a different reason.

Looks like Skip Beat's quarterly at the moment, with v.23 due in April, 24 in July. I imagine going back to print on earlier volumes depends on the series overall sales..... VIZ does do this on some series that are consistent sellers [I picked up Wolf's Rain recently, and both volumes were reprints of it from the past year, and the 3-in-1 line looks like a novel way to keep longer series in print]. I'd suggest skipping ahead to the next volume you need, and keeping an eye out for the one that's OOP in the meantime. I have some holes in my Basara and PSME collections, but am glad I hunted down the volumes I did given how hard both series are to find now.

Hayate is on a every6months schedule, so I'd suggest getting while the getting's good on its volumes.
grey-zero-000

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:40 pm Reply with quote
could anyone tell me if Kamui had ever been translated and produced in USA
Paploo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:11 pm Reply with quote
grey-zero-000 wrote:
could anyone tell me if Kamui had ever been translated and produced in USA

There's been a few different Kamui's, hope one of these is the one your looking for-

-Brocolli Books licensed and released Kamui by Shingo Nanami in 2005, and released everything except for the last 2 volumes [they were closed by Brocolli Japan a few years ago]. They made very nice books, so it'd be worth tracking what they did put out down. They also released the artist's Aquarian Age manga tie-in series.
manga#5031

-The Legend of Kamui- an edition of the classic manga was issued by VIZ in the 80's, the title that was the basis of the Dagger of Kamui anime movie. This was a historical manga about ninjas, and VIZ released 2 trades, plus a bunch of comic books with content that wasn't collected in trades. I have some of these, and they aren't too hard to track down, since comic book format manga back issues aren't in superhigh demand unless they're Sailor Moon.

Both Kamui's are out of print, so I'd suggest hunting about in used book stores, comic shops and other places where leftover or unwanted copies might be lurking. There's also assorted online book sales sites, though you'll probably have to look around for a while for a good price- I recall Kamui was one of Brocolli's more popular series [her Aquarian Age series was their most popular title from what I recall], so good luck finding it.
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:31 pm Reply with quote
My brother recently went on a shopping spree to get all the remote, non-mainstream manga titles in his collection that he was missing. Apparently prices on the more obscure works are beginning to jump through the roof. Shocked

Some of the prices are inching up to staggering heights, so get'em while you can!
KumarSivasubramanian

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:37 am Reply with quote
But is anyone actually paying $150-200 for these things? It sounds like collector's market prices, but I don't think such a market actually exists. I think most people just say "No thanks" and walk away. I wonder how these retailers come up with these crazy dollar amounts!

KS
Tamaria

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:41 am Reply with quote
I've seen people on Ebay pay $80-130 for certain volumes of Phoenix, so I guess it happens. The collector's market isn't about freeing up shelf space by selling things fast, it's a game of patience. It's like fishing and you're waiting for a nut to bite.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:10 pm Reply with quote
While organising my piles of manga onto a new shelf, I just found out that I don't have volume 6 of Mushishi. I THOUGHT that I bought it and got it from Rightstuf during a Del-Ray sale a few months back, but upon looking at my archived orders on the site, it's listed as "Cancelled by manufacturer or per your request"

Crying or Very sad
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:30 pm Reply with quote
^Oh man, that sucks! You should check Borders, I think the one near me has them all. I only got volumes 6-10 because I got the anime and didn't want any repeats, but 6? I just don't understand how they decide what goes OOP! I will continue to believe my "darts at a board" theory.

Also, I've been getting FMA lately, it's weird because I noticed my volume 5 is a sixth printing yet my recently bought 13 is a second, did they just start printing more per first run or something?
ladykibble

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Ugh...OOP stuff drives me nuts. I'm always trying to find something or another.
The most recent titles I've had difficulty tracking down (and succeeded at finding) were:

Boys Over Flowers: 24 and 25
Nausicaa (2nd printing): 3
Neon Genesis Evangelion: 9
Please Save My Earth: 13 (for some reason I have two copies of the hard-to-find volume 7...weird)

Currently on the prowl for Angel Sanctuary...

Honestly, I don't mind paying $$$ for one volume if I can get the others on the cheap. My marginal utility is not infinite, however, and I'd never pay the $500 someone is asking for Phoenix Vol. 10. Yeesh.

As someone else mentioned, it's a sad day when you get that "we didn't actually have this in stock" email. I hate being the impetus for someone to actually check their stock.
Other than that, I run into a lot of "ex-library copies" of the rarer titles. When it comes to the more expensive stuff, collectors tend to not want books that are all chewed up, so I wish they'd either figure out how to keep them in the library for everyone to enjoy, or mark the price accordingly.
Not a Jellyfish

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:46 am Reply with quote
ladykibble wrote:
As someone else mentioned, it's a sad day when you get that "we didn't actually have this in stock" email. I hate being the impetus for someone to actually check their stock.
Other than that, I run into a lot of "ex-library copies" of the rarer titles. When it comes to the more expensive stuff, collectors tend to not want books that are all chewed up, so I wish they'd either figure out how to keep them in the library for everyone to enjoy, or mark the price accordingly.

I got one of those e-mails the other day!! I finally broke down and ordered a copy of A, A', which I managed to find listed as shrink-wrapped for about $30. And that e-mail made me soooo angry! Oh well, I managed to find a near mint at $25 that actually shipped. So yay.

I also really hate the ex-library stuff! And it stinks that all the going-out-of-business Borders have to mark their books when they sell them. But usually a bit of goo-gone can get off the majority of a permanent marker on the shiny-covered manga. But if it's a soft finish, it won't work.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:34 am Reply with quote
I managed to get 2 copies of Basara 20 from my local comic shop's sale. They have some really obscure OOP stuff there.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 5:48 am Reply with quote
I unfortunately only started buying Monster after it went OOP. Fortunately I think I can get most of the volumes (already have the first three) from local bookstores and comic shops.

Managed to track down Cheeky Angel Vol. 11 at Fully Booked's flagship store, then ordered vols. 1, 2, and 4 from abebooks.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:37 am Reply with quote
Been to the comic shop again, and they have every volume of Mushishi (inc 6) in... Their selection really does baffle me sometimes :S
lilredphoenix

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Although I am not a big manga reader I do read some and like most posters here have said nothing is more disappointing than to be missing the very last volume or several volumes to complete the series and not to be able to find them bec they are out of print or hard to find/buy.

The prices that some mbrs have quoted on some of the more rarer or obscure mangas are outrageously high, talk about sticker shock I can see why you may have to rethink how badly do you want that volume and then having to deal with the low blow of an empty wallet..ouch that hurts!

For me though what saved me was the second hand stores since the economy isn't what it use to be people have been selling their collections and a lot of them are older series there is a store called Book Off which is a franchise of the ones they have in Japan, this store sells manga, anime, live action dramas and CD J-pop/rock music. a volume of manga doesn't go for more than $5.00.

I found Earthian and Please Save My Earth there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 76